Painted Armors?

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Painted Armors?

Post by Sir Garth »

Well I decide to create a bunch of Gondor soldiers and I need a lot of euro armours
Their armors look most like the euro armour (and I only have one, the other one is on its way)
I decide to buy many KK2 knights (they have euro armor, duh) and paint it dark grey.
But I don't want to screw the things, so can someone show me a picture of a painted euro armor or other lego piece? Please, I'd really appreciate it and then later I could maybe show you some pics of the gondorian soldiers
Someone else already made some nice custom armors and helmets for troops of Gondor, but I doubt I can buy those (I live in Belguim, probably much too far)
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I can't help you but good luck. I am not sure why looking at one would help. :?

:wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Here are some I painted. The black and brown ones.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=93235

hope it helps
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Here is a set of armor Anthony Sava painted.
Image I don't mean to take credit of this, but just help out. I found the picture here: http://www.ikros.net/misc/wallpaper.html
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

Ok thanks I did not expect help so quickly :)
To see if the effect was nice, Robin Hood, I just did not want to screw an euro armor
And Legofreak those armors look great! If I did not know they where painted I wouldn't even have seen the (little) difference.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I've painted one of my purple's gold, so it looks a lot like Sava's Trouble, posted up there by Jamit. Which is good, because I don't have any onliune pics.

The only problem I has is that is doesn't look really good with Lego's gold, although it doesn't look terrible either.

I foresee that you could have a similar problem with dark grey. Although its probably not that big of an issue.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Trouble's armor looked a lot better before I tried to remove the paint.

Back when I was much younger, I wanted silver and gold armor, so I painted one set of euro armor gold and one silver with enamel model paint. Well, when I got older, I noticed how rare the euro armor became, so I decided I wanted to have the normal, untarnished armor. (by this time I had somehow lost the silver euro armor, but still had the silver helmet and visor)

So I dipped the silver helmet and visor in paint thinner. The enamel paint came off for the most part, I used the helmet in my story, you can somewhat make out that it is silvery still.

So then I dipped the euro armor in the paint thinner. Immediately the plastic of the armor began to soften. It was horrible. The paint was coming off, and taking plastic with it! I don't know why the visor was not effected, but the armor was. It must be a different type of plastic.

In any case, I quickly tried to mold the armor back into the shape it used to be, and doused it in cold running water. I stopped the chemical reaction, but the armor was permenantly ruined. It's color was now very light grey on dark grey, the stressed plastic showing through.

So I decided to repaint it. I still had a gold visor, so I might as well paint the armor to match it again. It turned out pretty well in spite of the circumstances. The armor now looks very aged and battle-worn, and in a way I guess it really is.

Moral of the story: Don't change your mind after the fact. Commit and don't look back.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Read the first bit on my Rub'N Buff thread. It all applies except just don't do the actual Rub'N Buff if you just want a flat color.

viewtopic.php?t=817&highlight=rubbn+buff
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Trouble's armor looked a lot better before I tried to remove the paint.

Back when I was much younger, I wanted silver and gold armor, so I painted one set of euro armor gold and one silver with enamel model paint. Well, when I got older, I noticed how rare the euro armor became, so I decided I wanted to have the normal, untarnished armor. (by this time I had somehow lost the silver euro armor, but still had the silver helmet and visor)

So I dipped the silver helmet and visor in paint thinner. The enamel paint came off for the most part, I used the helmet in my story, you can somewhat make out that it is silvery still.

So then I dipped the euro armor in the paint thinner. Immediately the plastic of the armor began to soften. It was horrible. The paint was coming off, and taking plastic with it! I don't know why the visor was not effected, but the armor was. It must be a different type of plastic.

In any case, I quickly tried to mold the armor back into the shape it used to be, and doused it in cold running water. I stopped the chemical reaction, but the armor was permenantly ruined. It's color was now very light grey on dark grey, the stressed plastic showing through.

So I decided to repaint it. I still had a gold visor, so I might as well paint the armor to match it again. It turned out pretty well in spite of the circumstances. The armor now looks very aged and battle-worn, and in a way I guess it really is.

Moral of the story: Don't change your mind after the fact. Commit and don't look back.

--Anthony
Ok, that is one of the weirdest things that I have ever heard of. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

SavaTheAggie wrote: ...So then I dipped the euro armor in the paint thinner. Immediately the plastic of the armor began to soften. It was horrible. The paint was coming off, and taking plastic with it! I don't know why the visor was not effected, but the armor was. It must be a different type of plastic....
WOW = ok this is the first I have heard of this. I have even dipped my euro armor and had it wipe right off. What sort of paint thinner did you use?
I mean - are there different types? I have changed these armors a few times actually.
Lucky for me I like how they turned out, and I will probably just clear coat them to keep them from getting scuffed up..
OH - did I use brasso on them? hm I can't remember.
It'll come to me.

freak
Ramus
Laborer

Post by Ramus »

Here is a pic of an armor I painted.

It is a simple coat of primer & then a coat of spray paint. Using the spray paint helps give you an even flawless coat.

-- Ramus
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

This is probably a pointless post, but oh well. I painted some euro armor and regret it too (kids if you ever think you're bored with your euro armor DO NOT PAINT IT, you will regret it.) Anyways, i tried using paint thinner to get it off... it ate through the cup i put it in :cry: I think the paint didnt come off because it has been on for like 5 years. That is my theory, does anyone know if I am correct?
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

lil Jon wrote:This is probably a pointless post, but oh well. I painted some euro armor and regret it too (kids if you ever think you're bored with your euro armor DO NOT PAINT IT, you will regret it.) Anyways, i tried using paint thinner to get it off... it ate through the cup i put it in :cry: I think the paint didnt come off because it has been on for like 5 years. That is my theory, does anyone know if I am correct?
I'm willing to risk some kk2 armor
pwnage
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I might risk it as well if I get another copy of the Vladek Encounter. Does anybody know if there is a specific brand of paint that will match the shine and texture of a black Lego piece? I'm not really worried about the color itself... black is black... but I don't want it to be too dull.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I just used testor .89 cents a bottle paint.

gloss. ALthough before i used a flat paint and i think it just looks better, more medieval.

whatever. :D