Doh !!!!!

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Legolas
Foot Soldier

Doh !!!!!

Post by Legolas »

wlister wrote:How sturdy is the custom bow? It looks good, but possibly only a showpiece.
Hmm, apparently your right :P . This is what happens when Goblins play to rough.... :cry:

I went to pull it out of the goblins hand (was going to paint it) and the darn thing broke !!!! Oh well it needed 'fixed' anyways... By the way, any suggestions on making it look better while its 'in the shop' so to speak ?

Question for all other customizers out there (Especially Isaac and Jeff).

This ever happen to you guys when customizing something ??

- Joey
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

Thats unlucky, hope you can get it fixed.
I was just wondering if maybe this part - http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4610hand would work better? It looks like it could clip onto the ends of the horns and would work as a handle.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

That's a darn shame, as that was a fine looking bow. Did you use super glue? I've actually never had a problem with super glued pieces breaking.
As for making it look better, I would suggest painting it. Don't bother painting the grip, unless you've got some sort of clear coat that will help keep the paint on when you put it in the fig's hand. Brown or black would look good.
Did you use a piece of paper clip for the bowstring?
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

naughty Goblins :evil: Nice bow though. what color were u going to paint it?

Dave
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The classic thing to do to former a better joint would be to pin both sides. This would be very fine work for pieces so small, but drill a hole into both parts to be joined, insert a small pin (clip off a small piece of a paper clip, for example) and then glue. Alternately, you can heat and imbed the pin, but I've never tried that and the potential for disaster on an overheated pin probably requires some practice on expendable pieces. You can also work with the actual plastic and try and shape a hole and pin from them.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Oh No!

That is all i have to say

(i always break the things i glue) I usually just glue them again and when it breaks, repeat...
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Question for all other customizers out there (Especially Isaac and Jeff).

This ever happen to you guys when customizing something ??
Stuff like that NEVER happens to me... :roll: :P

Every once in a while, sure. Depends on what it is
for me. The only thing I can say is - you have to be
VERY careful handling anything you make like this.

But you know that already.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

well, for me, superglue doesnt always work that well. It seems to really soften the plastic and doesnt hold that well at all. BUT - and here's something weird - I have an axe head that I superglued onto a haft about fifteen years ago and this sucker has been battered around during my various moves, played with by Alex, stepped on, etc... and it is holding still.
Go figure...

(oh but to answer your question? All the freakin time...)

:D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Many of the custom double bladed battle axes I have made have needed to repaired on a fairly consistent basis. The softer plastic from a 4 bladed spear, scimitar, new style broadsword or elaborate halberd does not bond as well with the superglue. It is possible that you will experience similiar problems with the white cattlehorns. You could try scoring the surfaces you plan on gluing with a pin or something. Just scratch it up a bit and the glue would have more to cling to.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Legolas
Foot Soldier

Post by Legolas »

Oh boy, some many replies :)
doctorsparkles wrote:That's a darn shame, as that was a fine looking bow. Did you use super glue? I've actually never had a problem with super glued pieces breaking.
As for making it look better, I would suggest painting it. Don't bother painting the grip, unless you've got some sort of clear coat that will help keep the paint on when you put it in the fig's hand. Brown or black would look good.
Did you use a piece of paper clip for the bowstring?
I know :cry: ..Yes I used superglue, I guess maybe not enough ? :P . I'll probably paint it using some light gray primer out of a rattle can...
TwoTonic Knight wrote:The classic thing to do to former a better joint would be to pin both sides. This would be very fine work for pieces so small, but drill a hole into both parts to be joined, insert a small pin (clip off a small piece of a paper clip, for example) and then glue. Alternately, you can heat and imbed the pin, but I've never tried that and the potential for disaster on an overheated pin probably requires some practice on expendable pieces.
Now that is a REALLY good Idea :D , I might have a drill bit small, enough for that kind of a job....hmm. That wouldn't be the easiest or 'Safest' route, but its better then attempting to heat the pin and risk burning the crap out of myself (hmm can we say crap on here?)
You can also work with the actual plastic and try and shape a hole and pin from them.
You're kidding right ? :?
Blasterman wrote:Every once in a while, sure. Depends on what it is
for me. The only thing I can say is - you have to be
VERY careful handling anything you make like this.

But you know that already.
Actually believe it or not, I put alot of stuff I make through a "Drop Test". If it breaks, well then next time I'd make it stronger. :P

Side note: I only had time to reply to a few posts, I'll reply to the rest when I have more time, right now I need to finish packing....

I hate moving :cry:

-- Joey
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Legolas wrote:
You can also work with the actual plastic and try and shape a hole and pin from them.
You're kidding right ? :?
No, but I don't mean a fine perfectly cylindrical pin with parallel sides. More a conical mound and corresponding divot. Wedge cuts would also be a method. Really, you want just about anything except two flat surfaces to glue.

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Legolas wrote: Actually believe it or not, I put alot of stuff I make through a "Drop Test". If it breaks, well then next time I'd make it stronger. :P
I tried a wedge cut version with the bonding surfaced roughed up a bit for better bonding. Failed the drop test. It's just inherently a fragile joint and either needs a stronger glue than I used (one that will soften the surrounding plastic and form a physical bond) or a pin inserted to give it strength.

Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Here is one of my never-made-public custom-helmet:

See for yourself:

With my customs, for every 3 items made 1 usually get broken, and out of the 2 intacts one 1 would have a chance of being mass produced. So this kind of things are just part of life for us customizers, really, especially if you try to test sculpey's limit by going as thin and as delicate as possible. Anyway, you'd better get used you to it :wink:

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

Man of Iron wrote:The string looks ugly. :P In fact the whole bow looks ugly! :P But hey, everybody makes mistakes. :D
It's not nice to razz other people! If you didn't like what Legolas made (though I liked his bow before it broke), at least try to say why you didn't like it instead of razzing him.

-The Josh