Photo Shop ACD See

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
forester3291
Merchant

Photo Shop ACD See

Post by forester3291 »

I was wondering if I could do what Two Tonic did with the Lavaman Freak made with ACD See. It looked awesome. And if I can't how can I get Photo Shop and is it free? I would like to improve upon sticker making.

I think this is the place to put this thread if not I'm sure *cough* Nathan 8cough* :D will move it.

NOTE: That last part of that sentence was meant to be a good natured jest :D
Space rocks.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

ACD is free, Photoshop is not. Well not legally.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:Image

I set my airbrush down to 13% - it depends on how well you can control it. 5% seemed way too slow to work for this. I worked with two colors to be quick about it.

From swatches: Pure Red Orange as one color and Pastel Yellow as the other. I'd cycle between the two from the side toolbar. Set your airbrush to 5-9 "soft" spray. Overlay the lines you have laid down with the red-orange - you want to blur our their hard edges to get a "glow" effect. Go wider on areas where you want to create a "hot spot". Working with a smaller brush size, go back over the line with the pastel yellow, again lingering and building up hot spots. Keep the lines irregular in width to give it a more lively look.

That should get you going.

Edit in: And here is that section worked over a little more with some hand done "lens flare".

I followed TTK's suggestions about the hot spots and the two different colored airbrushes, and I compromised between his and Tony's suggestions for pressure on the airbrush, etc.
I had a BLAST doing this. I love the way it turned out, and right now I am posting over on Red Bean Studios talking with Jared (Kaminoan) to find out what it will take to get this printed on a waterslide decal.

This is why I love being a part of a lego network. :D
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: Photo Shop ACD See

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

forester3291 wrote:I think this is the place to put this thread if not I'm sure *cough* Nathan *cough* :D will move it.
heheh...That's me...Gaming Guru...Seed Part Master...and forever fated to be the first to move a thread...sigh...I really need a social life... :wink:

Seriously, this could go in Publishing, but it also fits in Customs just fine, so I'll leave it here.

On topic, how much does Photoshop cost? Around here it seems to be the God of Photo Editing Software, and I despertly need some for my newly upgraded Windows XP.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote: On topic, how much does Photoshop cost? Around here it seems to be the God of Photo Editing Software, and I despertly need some for my newly upgraded Windows XP.
Photoshop 7.0: $649.00 list.

If you have recovered your breath...

Photoshop Elements 3.0: $99.00 list.

Which is what I use. If you are a professional Graphic Designer, you'll want the whole thing, if you want a digital darkroom for home that will allow you to do a heck of a lot anyway for A Lot Less Money, get Elements. I use Elements and it meets my needs - despite what you may see here, I use it primarily for editing my photographs, which I usually print out at 8.5 x 11 inches full bleed. All the horrific things that took forever in a traditional darkroom, you can do a lot easier digitally, believe me!
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Photoshop costs, but Gimp is free. Check out Kevin's article:
http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/art ... cgimp.html

Bruce
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote: On topic, how much does Photoshop cost? Around here it seems to be the God of Photo Editing Software, and I despertly need some for my newly upgraded Windows XP.
Photoshop 7.0: $649.00 list.

If you have recovered your breath...

Photoshop Elements 3.0: $99.00 list.

Which is what I use. If you are a professional Graphic Designer, you'll want the whole thing, if you want a digital darkroom for home that will allow you to do a heck of a lot anyway for A Lot Less Money, get Elements. I use Elements and it meets my needs - despite what you may see here, I use it primarily for editing my photographs, which I usually print out at 8.5 x 11 inches full bleed. All the horrific things that took forever in a traditional darkroom, you can do a lot easier digitally, believe me!

Wow. I think I'll stick with ACD See for now :D

Bruce; Is Gimp as good or better than ACD See? Does it have advantages, if so what are they? I don't really want to download it if it doesn't really help more than ACD See.
Space rocks.