Greek Hoplites

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
kor
Peasant

Post by kor »

I ordered some of these too,along with some other weapons, as was very pleased with the qaulity and the speedy delivery.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Thanks for all that information TTH, I mean TTK. Avery thourough review for us all to use. The set is very nice in every way. Some questions;

Is the sticker a water slide, or a standard peel and stick?

Isaac, do you plan to make any leg stickers available?

How about a proper kopis or xiphos (sword) which tapered at the bottom, and widened at the end (making it "leaf shaped" as the classic description goes)? The kopis was rather short (a foot or so) had one cutting edge and is rather like a machete in that regard, and may have been influenced by oriental cultures (meaning middle-eastern to us today). While the classic hoplite sword would have been longer and "leaf" shaped, with two cutting edges. I suppose a classic broadsword and a dremel might be used...
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Richard,

You can find more information on the water-slide decals on my website. There's also a discussion on the forum on the 'skirt' parts, and a few talented customizers have already came up with solutions for the skirt, so please come and take a look when you have time.

For myself, I'm spending most of my spare time on designing decals for the round shield these days; I have made a few Grecian patterns already and once again, you can see them on my website.

R. B.
www.redbeanstudio.net
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The Blue Knight wrote: How about a proper kopis or xiphos (sword) which tapered at the bottom, and widened at the end (making it "leaf shaped" as the classic description goes)? The kopis was rather short (a foot or so) had one cutting edge and is rather like a machete in that regard, and may have been influenced by oriental cultures (meaning middle-eastern to us today).
For those of us that find the pace of actual production pieces too slow....

The blade on a kopis is more like a foot and half, not counting the grip. I'm going to do some more work on shaping the knuckle guard and sanding in general, but here's a first pass. I'll get to a xiphos soon.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Niiice job dude! Thats just what I had in mind. Looks like standard dark grey sword carved down, right? Did you do that freehand? The shape looks nearly perfect. What did you use to do the cutting? Even the scale looks right, well done my friend.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The Blue Knight wrote:Niiice job dude! Thats just what I had in mind. Looks like standard dark grey sword carved down, right? Did you do that freehand? The shape looks nearly perfect. What did you use to do the cutting? Even the scale looks right, well done my friend.
Cut down a standard issue LEGO sword with my genuine Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. Smoothed it out with 400 grit sandpaper. The Xiphos is almost done, though that is aggravating to try and get symmetrical. I'll post it later today.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Hey, good work TTK. Looks pretty acturate.
It's a Christmas Miracle!