Chain Mail Torso

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

akochan wrote:That intermediate one came out looking pretty good on my el cheapo HP color inkjet. Unfortuneately the stickers I used weren't absorbant enough to hold the pattern. What kind of stickers do y'all use? Or do you just use good paper and apply glue?

-Andy

Epson Glossy Photo Paper - Canon Photo Paper Pro is thicker and better for photos, but the thinner works better for stickers. I use a good old Glue Stick: Elmer's Washable or 3M Post-It (same low-tack stuff as the sticky-notes). If your paper can't hold the pattern it is too absorbant - the ink spreads, blurring the picture.

Looking at the three quality print outs glued onto the figures, my basic opinion is that Lego made the right decision in using scale. Up close, the Intermediate works, though I may go back and remove the layer with the little fill-in areas I made to punch the contrast back up. If you get back to even just arm's length, the Intermediate becomes just a gray pattern (not unlike real mail, I suppose). The Large mail holds up better once you get to the same distance. Get several feet away and it becomes a gray texture, too. The classic Scale? Reads well from a long ways off.

Simple, bold, and high contrast work best for stickers. I also printed out two different excellent "orc armors" done by others - they looked good here, but what I suspected would happen is that their lack of high contrast would leave them indistinct at minifig scale, and that's pretty much what happened.

So, the bottom line - I did it as an experiment in the limits of what would work as a torso sticker, and this certainly borders on what is the far limit of what will work. The Small links version goes beyond what will work, the Intermediate is only good for close up, and the large looks best from any kind of normal viewing distance, but looks a bit like anchor chains up real close. The closest Lego has gotten to chain is the camail on the breastplate figure from the original Knight's Kingdom, and that was a simplified pattern of bright and dark. I'll take a photo and post it later.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

The jpeg files, the PSD files, and photo examples of the finished stickers. I suppose it'll have the usual clearance time lag since this is on brickshelf, so let me note the time: 11:48 Sunday Pacific Time, Jan. 18.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=69499

Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

The new pattern kicks butt! After looking at your comparison pic,
I can pick out the background links with ease. I'm thinking
the middle-sized pattern looks the best for the scale though.

Anyway, great job!
groovyd2001
Peasant

Post by groovyd2001 »

I agree with blasterman the new pattern is really cool, I printed out some of the torsos and put them on my figures.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less then half of you half as well as you should Deserve

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/index.htm][img]http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/images/button1.JPG[/img][/url]
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Any chance you could make one without the belts?
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Blasterman wrote:Any chance you could make one without the belts?
If you have Photoshop, just delete the belt layers on the PSD files (linked a couple of messages back on Brickshelf). If not, I can post them as a JPG sans belts.

Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

I do have PS...duhhhh...thanks for the reply!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Oooooo, please to be moving this thread to the new customs section, sirrah!

SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

These torso designs look great! What pattern are the links supposed to be in?
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

From one Knight to another I can ay that these are very impressive. I do not have PhotoShop and don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy it and take a class on how to use it, so, how can an uninitiated sticker-wanted acquire some of these from you?

I agree with Blasterman to lose the belts.

Richard
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Blue Knight-
Right click the picture of the torso you want, select copy, paste it into a word document, resize it so you think it'll come out about right, and print. if it needs to be a new size, move the pic to the left of the page and resize again. That way, If your doing less than five stickers, you can print it dozens of times, just by tab/entering it down the page. Always save these so you can find the right size for later stickers.

To get rid of the belt, which I never do, put it into a paint program, (I dont have photoshop, just a crummy little Windows program attached to the computer) and draw over the belt however you like. Any paint program will work. The word doc is for printing multiple copies, otherwise just print it from whatever paint/design program you have. I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't probably TTK can. And by the way, nice torso stickers, I think I might print a few now. Right now :)
That's assuming TTK doesn't want to make us pay for these :wink:
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Kaloo

Thanks for the info, I figured you needed to have PS to do anything. I'm gonna give it a try. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Former Gong Farmer, now a Serf, Hollywood here I come! Serfin' Safari baby! :lol:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Here ya go - chain sans belts.

The Blue Knight
Merchant

TTK Excellent! It looks formidable! Great work.

Kaloo I copied and tried to paste, but nothing pastes! It seems like it's trying to do something, but nothing comes on. Except once, it went to Explorer somewhere (My tech-savviness is really showing eh?) and I was able to save a torso from there. It is a torso I like, though not the one I'm after. When I copy, why won't it paste? And what happened that one time? What am I doing wrong? Anyone? Any help would be appreciated.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

I just clicked on Kaloo's avatar, hit copy, went to word, pasted, and it came through! But TTk's chain mail torso won't. I click on it, hit copy, go to Word, paste, and the cursor just skips a space and nothing is there! Helppppp!