Creating Customs

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Creating Customs

Post by Sir Smittens »

Recently I've been very interrested in creating custom castle armor and weapons, but I haven't been able to find any good sites explaining how to do it. I've emailed Red Bean, but the more ideas the better. Basically, I need to know everything (sorry). Like what supplies I need, how to do it, etc. Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

You're in luck! I'll be writing a "how to" of sorts very shortly.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

THANK YOU!

That would be really useful. Would you mind letting me know when you have it up? Just post on this forum.

Thanks again.
Philosophies of my life:

Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hi Sir Smittens,

Will answer you here instead of via email. Actually, I've sort of started on a how-to as well just never have the time to get around to finish it. Jeff, just so we don't overlap materials; what will your how-to be about? Mine is sort of a starter where I'm mainly going to talk about the tools of sculpting and general things like that. :wink:

But back to Sir Smittens, you can get yourself started at this stage by going to a hobby store and asking for a thing called sculpey. It's a clay-like material which hardens when you heat it. So basically, mold it into the shape you want when it's soft, then heat it so it'd stay in shape and voila you have your custom helmet and armor!

R. B.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Now this is VERY interesting! I have been looking at some of my premolded pieces that I will never use to build with and wondering, "Would it be possible to grind them up and mold them into something useful?" Particularliy I am thinking of an "armour" of some sort that would cover otherwise useless torso's and make them fit for castle. I am also throwing around the idea of painting some torso fronts silver and then using a clear sticker with black scale mail pattern (my favourite "soldier" torso pattern) Although I don't know if I can do it with my ink jet printer. Interested to see what you experienced fellows have to say at any rate.
Troy T. Moore
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

...a thing called sculpey. It's a clay-like material which hardens when you heat it. So basically, mold it into the shape you want when it's soft, then heat it so it'd stay in shape and voila you have your custom helmet and armor!
Thanks! I'm going to buy some as soon as possible. But in my experiencce, molding materials have been pretty brittle. How's the durability of sculpy? Also, what tools do you use? I can't wait to see your and Jeff's "How To's"
Philosophies of my life:

Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Jeff, just so we don't overlap materials; what will your how-to be about? Mine is sort of a starter where I'm mainly going to talk about the tools of sculpting and general things like that.
Go for it! I'm not real big on sculpting, having only done a
few select pieces. My "how to" will focus on making weapons
and armour from existing pieces to scratch built.

I'll cover things like - materials, tools, paints, etc.

And I suppose I'll include some example pics too.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Not very skilled with sculpting myself, I do look forward to seeing the articles Blastermand and Red Bean produce. Another invaluable resource for the masses here at Classic-Castle. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I just want to say that I'm glad both Jeff and Isaac are doing these articles, especially in their different approaches and different styles. The classic-castle community is one of the greatest ive ever seen.

sorry guys, just had to gush.

-len
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Lenny, you gusher! But I must agree. I have downloaded some sticker designs Sava graciously posted, and I'm sure they were very time consuming. Now Jeff and Isaac are willing to share their little secrets. It is a wonderful thing to see fellow fans of what I once thought was my private passion. All this info would be considered propeitary (sp?) in the world of business. I truly appreciate all the hard work shared in our community for no fee other than the ole' self administered pat on the back! Thanks for all that you guys do. I only wish that such skills were my forte. I can't wait to see what you'll all come up next! I'm sure it will be more exciting than any Jelly Bean Kingdom set!

Richard :wink:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Thanks for all the help Red (or Isaac). I've made a helmet, and I like it a lot for my first creation, and a gladiator-like shield is in the oven as I type this. This is so cool!
Philosophies of my life:

Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Any tool suggestions? I've been using my hands and a scalpel (I have no idea how to spell that), but I'd like something finer.
Philosophies of my life:

Jennifer
Queen Jenn the Hottie

Post by Jennifer »

OK, so I am no Jeff or anything :wink: , but I do sculpt a few things. I have used 'Friendly Clay', SculpeyIII and also Sculpey SuperFlex. I have some clay tools, available in the aisle in Michael's or Hobby Lobby where you get the clays. They are wooden with little blades and scoops and picks on the ends. I also find toothpicks, and paperclips very useful, along with my fingertips, and fingernails. I have only baked my items when finished, but I have heard you can boil them to set, and I will be trying this soon. Will let you know! I generally like the Testors Enamel for painting my finished products. Nice colors and finish. I recommend a sealer afterwards. Hope something helped. Good luck!
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

I too am looking forward to learning to make my own customs!!! Bring it on! Thanks to those of you who are willing to share your talents with all of us!

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I've been thinking of making custom armour, weapons, etc, from a solid block of plastic. I think I can carve and sculpt it ok, but I don't know where to find a large block of solid plastic. ABS would be preferable, but it wouldn't have to be. Any ideas? I think I'd need a block maybe 3/4 inch squared. And long thin ones for weapons.

Cm2