Tutorial: Silicone mold making for casting custom parts

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
airborne trooper 2
Peasant

Post by airborne trooper 2 »

I found some resin for $15. But the silicone is usually about $30 or more and kits are about $70. :)

I am thinking about making molds.

I tried to make a mold out of clay and then melt plastic and pour it into the mold and its really hard. I will have to get back to you guys on how it turns out.
Last edited by airborne trooper 2 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the brick be with you.
Come http://fbtsforums.informe.com/ join today.
airborne trooper 2
Peasant

molding and casting

I tried to make a mold out of clay and then melt plastic and pour it into the mold and its really hard. I will have to get back to you guys on how it turns out.[/quote]

I would not try to do this if I were anyone else because its dangerous and hard :!:
Last edited by airborne trooper 2 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Prices for resin will vary, and of course when comparing them take note of how much you get, how common and easy the stuff is to find, etc.

There are different kinds of silicone and they all have different prices, so when comparing them make sure you look for RTV3, or the most flexible type they offer.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This is an expensive hobby.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

Yeah, it takes a lot of Lego money away. A real good time to get some is when the store carrying it has a sale. For example when you spend $100 (total) you get $20 back. (Actually happened.)

Otherwise I wouldn't get any too often if you are under the age when you get a job. :P (15-16)
My life is based on a true story.
airborne trooper 2
Peasant

[quote=I tried to make a mold out of clay and then melt plastic and pour it into the mold and its really hard. I will have to get back to you guys on how it turns out.[/quote]

It didnt work at all.
plucky
Laborer

Re: Tutorial: Silicone mold making for casting custom parts

Post by plucky »

When building your box, could you just line it with plastic wrap or something? I immagine that would both save your pieces and keep the silicone from seeping through? As it would only be on the bottom and sides you wouldn't need to worry about peeling it off if it stuck, and you'd still have a pretty flat surface for the bottom of the mold as well.
I'm assuming there wouldn't be some strange reaction between the silicon and wrap, so if there is one, please do tell before I go and do something silly :)

-plucky
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Plucky I think you probably could do that, but there are infact better ways if you don't want to use lego. A plastic cup can be used by cutting it down a bit and placing the object inside. Also, you can put the object on a piece of plastic (like a tupperware lid) and build a wall with sculpey. The sculpey is only about $1 for a block of it so throwing it away afterward won't hurt you too much. Many ways to accomplish the mold are possible and you can find even more ways by searching the net.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

This is simply an awesome tutorial. You explain the whole process very well. I am now off to find all this stuff in Australia.

Thanks for sharing your skills.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This looks like a very impressive tutorial. However, me being a dunce and all, I don't understand some parts, as I am new to the world of customizing figs.
First of all, what is the goal of this tutorial. I'm not sure what resin casting is.
Secondly, what are the different models/creations that you make in order to create the mold.
Sorry for the questions, and thanks in advance for your answers.
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Spongey, check out my Brickshelf. All of the pieces you see pictured there for sale are resin casts, or copies, of an original piece. Some of those are lego pieces produced in colors lego never did, some are original creations made for fans. Hope that answers your question, if not, keep asking!