Article: Creating Custom Accessories

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Red Bean
Apprentice

Article: Creating Custom Accessories

Post by Red Bean »

Hi all,

Here's the article that I've wanted to offer to the C-C community oh so long ago, sorry for taking such a long time!! Anyway, what I've up right now is more of a final draft than a finished version, but I think most of the information that you're looking for is already there. Your inputs/comments will always be appreciated.

And to Kev, would you mind helping me edit it so that its format can be consistent with the rest of the C-C articles? Also, do you want me to email you a soft copy of the files so you can upload it onto the C-C server? Or can you simply download it from your browser? Please email me.

To everyone else: I'm going to keep a low profile for the next few weeks to concentrate on my job for a bit and hopefully some sculpting. So if you need to reach me, please email me instead of leaving me private messages on the forum.

Btw, the article can be seen here: :P

http://www.redbeanstudio.net/ccarticle/redbean.htm

Thank you for reading.

R. B.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Redbean,

Your article is wonderful. It is very informative and easy to follow with the diagrams. Hopefully we can find a permanent home for it at CC soon. :wink: Thanks!

Ben
Anonym0us
Villein

Post by Anonym0us »

Your how-to was very helpful! Thanks 4 putting in all your time and effort to make it!
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

OK, the article now has a place in the Creations section of "How-To"

http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/creation.html

Thanks, Isaac, for doing this. Now I need to read it!
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

This is a great article! Thank you so much. Simple, concise, and easy to understand. Very helpfull

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Thanks for the article. I tried sculpting with a binary epoxy, and I can only say that the stuff became as hard as a rock. Hi-speed dremeling was required, and without layering, getting in the detail was difficult.

I'll run out of my current supply of shields for stickering today (dremel, buffing wheel, and Brasso while watching the Daytona Prototypes race to get off the Islander emblems) and I'll probably give the Sculpey a try since my son has several packs of that sitting around.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Wow thanks Red Bean I might try some sculpey sometime. Nice, detailed instructions are always appreciated.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Hi Isaac. The level of detail you go to is very immpressive indeed. It makes me appreciate the work you do even more then before! Keep it up. My order will be in soon to help with the financing of trh Viking gear :wink:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

OK - I really really really really really liked this article and its attention to detail. It makes so much sense now!

did I mention I really liked it?

Thanks!!!!

freak
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

Thanks a lot for the article! I just bought some sculpy yesterday, and already made a spear and a sword. Not very good looking ones, but good for my first try. Thanks again!
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
Sir Terrance
Councilor

I am going to try this.

Post by Sir Terrance »

Hi, just how does the resin dry? Does it become rock hard, soft, plasticy like LEGO, ...?
Thanks.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Sculpty is like some soft clay when forming, and when baked, it feels like those newer style swords (kinda, not really, but that's all I can really think of)
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!