Post by Red Bean »

Two custom beards: :D

Click to go to my website to see more:

http://www.redbeanstudio.net

R. B.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Wow, these look great. I had planned on buying a bunch of LEGO beards and having my way with them, but this option almost seems better.

Planning on selling them : )?
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Thanks Kev.

The truth is, I'd love to sell every single piece I've ever created, but producing them will cost more than I can afford :(

So I don't know, maybe after I've made my Gimli helmut, I'll ask and see if you guys are interested in a pre-order or something, and hopefully gather enough fund that way. So we'll see I guess. :D

R. B.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

WOW - I love these beards!

I am really gonna have to try this now.
thanks for showing these off man!

:D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Both beards look great Red Bean. :D I really wish that lego would make even more beards for figs.

Ben
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Those are awsome.

How long did they take to make?

They look like they are actually lego pieces!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Isaac,

Great details here! I'm in the process of making a new Dwarven army. My old one was (is) 7 Knight's procession sets with a few other figs with 2 OLG 1x1 rounds as legs. The no beard thing has always vexed me. With the intro of "dwarf" or "hobbit" legs I'm converting over. I'd love to have some of these, why do you tease us (sobs openly into shirt)! :cry:

Alright, I've pulled myself back together. My only suggestion would be to eliminate the sideburns going up from the beard. I have had to cut those off to fit the "viking" hemlets on my dwarves. More excellent my friend!

Richard
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Awesome!

Post by Sir Terrance »

Are those the hardened sculpey, or resin, or something else? And by the way, what does the resin as described in your article dry to? Is it rubbery, plasticy, rock hard, flexible? Thanks.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Thanks!

DM: These each took me approximately half a day to make. The dwarven beard took longer because it was more difficult to get the shape right. But I'm quite pleased with the result. Now I can finally make a Gimli figure.

Sir Terrence: I used good old sculpey this time. One doesn't usually use resin to sculpt things, and if you'd like more information, you can go visit this website:
http://www.smooth-on.com/howtomakemolds.htm

And Richard: Believe me, I hate those sideburns as much as you do, but the problem is, I needed something on the side to stablize its shape, that's why they're there. Of course, if I ever cast and produce them, they'd be easy to get rid of in ABS form.

And finally, I tease because I can :wink:

R. B.
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

These beards are great! I wouldn't put them on any minifig who is younger than 80 though! I must saw RB, those orc swords you have for sale I think are the best I've seen for lego minifig hand grip. Most of the other custom made minifig weapons that look professional usually slip out of the hand of the minifigs. That sword doesn't-I like that!
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Isaac,
I think you're in need of marrying some uber-rich old woman or something, because really - the viking helmets, the elven helmet, these beards - that all look *amazing* and I would love to have my hands on a few of these in ABS form for characters, etc.

I completely understand the money dilema, as I am currently trying to produce custom sets, but the funds needed combined with the unlikely-hood of making my money back are a deterent. I can just only hope that you do indeed get the money you need eventually.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

I think you're in need of marrying some uber-rich old woman or something
Haha, Lenny. Know of any such person that you can introduce to me? :wink: But seriously. The money thing is actually not so bad; if, with some tough negotiations, I can somehow manage to have 10 items casted for under $5000 (US), then at $1 apiece I'll only need about 250 customers to purchase 2 of each item to break even, which judging your reactions to the prototypes is probably not so as unrealistic as it'd seem. But the problem is that me and my fiance are both trying hard to save up money to get married right now so pouring money into this kind of thing is simply a no-no. And that's the true dilemma; which is a shame, too, both for your custom set and my beards...

And Dan, I'm aware of the problem with the gripping. The handles to those weapons were actually originally all made from a Lego spear, so I assume something must have happened during the casting process that altered their size a bit. But if I ever get to produce anymore items in the future I'll be more aware of this problem and will ask the manufacturer to pay more attention. A quick fix for you though is to buy some new minifig hands from Bricklink, then the gripping will not be a problem, guaranteed. But sorry about that nonetheless! :(

R. B.
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

I'm sure I speak for us all by saying real life is more impotant than a hobby.
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

COOL!!! Make them in black so I can have new G.I.L.F. minifigs! :twisted:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

We must have it! (gollum voice)
Alan
good times