Hello.............I'm new

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Torment
Villein

Hello.............I'm new

Post by Torment »

Wasn't sure where to put this so since i am new i figured i'd start here.
With all the amazing creations i have seen one might stop to think how?
I'm only 16 yrs old and have a massive collection, but everytime i try to build something i always end up with nothing worth displaying. I have great ideas but can never seem to find where to start..

So my question is where does someone start, how do you get such great display? Is there something i'm missing or just overlooking?
It's like i'm no good at building anything anything i make i usually just overflow with an army..
Please look at my creations and tell me the truth...
http://mocpages.com/moc.php/34864
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=curt620
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

Welcome. :)

As far as your question goes, I'd take a gander at the Castle MOC threads for starters and then take a closer look at the galleries of those whose building techniques you admire.

based on your MOC's, I wouldn't say you're bad at building either. :D

Brickshelf is your freind.

Say it with me..

Brickshelf...

Very good. :lol:
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

Hello and welcome to CC!

I recommend taking a look at theDisplay thread here to see how the other members displayed their creations. Maybe you can see something that you like.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Welcome to Classic-Castle!
I'm sure you'll fit right in here don't worry, we all gotta start somewhere, so just look around at other people's MOCs for inspiration, and be willing to take critique and use it to your advantage (to make your next MOC better than the previous), that's how we all do it :) no special trick to it, Lego bricks are Lego bricks.
Last edited by Aliencat on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

What I would give to be sixteen again and have the collection that I have...Sheesh!

First thing is to relax. Breathe in, breathe out. You're sixteen. You should be thinking about dating and homework and college and getting a driver's license. Don't be so worried about building skills you have (or don't have). Doing well in school should be your first task. School will teach you how to learn, how to analize the building techniques of the great MOCs we all love to look at. Taking some drafting or wood/metal shop classes would help.

As far as your MOCs you have some decent stuff there. If you think that you need something more dynamic designs search the internet(if available) or the library for books on Castles or other fantasy structures. Then plan your build in steps by drawing them out on paper. If you try to build everything at once you'll get frustrated and stop. Think about your MOC like a text book - Chapter one is the Drawbridge, Chapter two is the surrounding towers, etc, etc.

At the very least you have joined the best site on the net for learning/discussing LEGO Castle. Welcome and enjoy.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Welcome to CC! Not being a very skilled builder myself, it usually takes me time to churn out something I consider "worth displaying". Just take your time. Watch and learn. And don't stop building. Build and build and build. Even if it's slow, that's the fastest way to improve your skills.

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Hey there, Welcome to CC! When I first came here, I also was not a very skilled builder myself, but I have gotten better, and I am sure you will too. I really hope you enjoy your stay here.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Wow, its like listening to a mirror a couple years ago. First off, the only thing you are missing or overlooking is your own worth. Your MOCs are better than you think. Perhaps they don't get the rave reviews some get, but ignore that. So long as you build and enjoy it, its a good MOC. As to building nothing but armies, I know how you feel. Relax, I think it's like, an after effect of being a kid. You know how kids love to build armies and mash them together in a great battle. Your just stuck on the tail end of this.

So welcome and don't let yourself get yourself down.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Ganon
Serf

Post by Ganon »

Welcome, Sir Torment! Have fun here and don't forget, tormenting(:twisted:) is at 1:00 sharp and ends at 5:00 sharp.*:lol:

*=A joke about your name.
"I'm just an archer trying to make a living."- Dietrich von Heckloch (Heck-lock)*
*= A character from my story I'm writing. (It's still in it's baby steps.)