New Here

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
CorDol
Serf

New Here

Post by CorDol »

Hello everyone! As you can see my name is CorDol and I am a TFOL from Mass. I am a new member but I have been browsing the forums a lot recently. I have recently started playing with or building with Lego again. Once I saw some spectacular castle creations off of Brother's Brick, I fell in love with the castle and fantasy era. However I need some help.

-Where do you guys purchase your bricks?
-Do you guys use all grey bricks when building models and how many do you estimate how many you need?
-Is it good to use one color of bricks or multiple colors?

Well, that is all I have to say. Other than that though, my first medieval creation was a horse stable thing that is built using a multiple color of bricks so it's not that great but hey it's a start.

P.S.- If any of you could offer any tips I would love to hear them!
P.S.S- Can someone show me some rock modeling techniques? (I read the guide on this site but I was wondering if there were any more ways)

Thanks,
~CorDol :)
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: New Here

Post by Bluesecrets »

Welcome to CC. You posted this in the wrong forum, so I am moving it to announcements for you. You might want to read the forum rules for each forum so you know where to post in the future. If you have any questions about where to post, please feel free to contact any one of the moderators in a private message and we'll be more than happy to help you.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Forestboy
Steward

Post by Forestboy »

CorDol wrote:Hello everyone! As you can see my name is CorDol and I am a TFOL from Mass. I am a new member but I have been browsing the forums a lot recently. I have recently started playing with or building with Lego again. Once I saw some spectacular castle creations off of Brother's Brick, I fell in love with the castle and fantasy era.
Well first off, I'd just like to say welcome CorDol to classic-castle. I hope you enjoy your time here and have fun in the online lego community. Now let's get to your questions...
CorDol wrote:However I need some help.

-Where do you guys purchase your bricks?
Your answer can only be described by quoting one of our admins here on C-C, Bruce N H, on what he said on another new member's thread about how to get bricks:
Bruce N H wrote:On your question, there are many solutions. Of course you can buy sets, especially look for sales and deals. You can get individual bricks a few ways:
1. Through lego.com - Once you're there, click 'shop', then 'by category', then 'individual bricks & building accessories', then 'pick-a-brick'. You can go through and get exactly what you want (albeit from a limited selection).
2. At an official LEGO store, they have the 'pick-a-brick wall'. They look like this. The selection varies over time, but you pay for a plastic cup which you can pack with whatever fits.
3. Bricklink. This is a person-to-person community sales site. Individual people have virtual stores where they sell parts. You can really find any LEGO element ever produced. I should point out that various members of this forum have stores, and we are sponsored by Troy's Surplus LEGO.
4. Be sure to check out our buy/sell/trade forum. You can post wish lists and what you have, and people may set up trades or purchases with you. The forum doesn't endorse or guarantee individual deals, but there is a thread at the top of the forum that gives feedback for everyone who trades via the forum.
Bruce
There you go!
CorDol wrote: -Do you guys use all grey bricks when building?
Not necessarily, because it depends on what you are building. If you want a scary tower; go for black. If you want a king's castle; go for light grey. This one varies.
CorDol wrote:and how many do you estimate how many you need?
I, myself, never have built something really big where I had to make a big purchase or estimate, so I just build! :lol: But a good idea would be start building what you want to build, and when you run out of pieces, estimate how many you'll need to finish; then buy from there.
CorDol wrote: -Is it good to use one color of bricks or multiple colors?
Usually one color is good. But starting with multipul colors is a great way to start (like you said with your stable), because developing skill is more important.
CorDol wrote: Thanks,
~CorDol :)
No problem, this was a bit long, but hope it helps. Good luck building! :wink:
[url=http://mosaicbricks.blogspot.com/]MosaicBricks[/url]-[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/12945]Mocpages[/url]-[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcrmccoy/]Flickr[/url]-[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kcrmccoy/]Brickshelf[/url]-
---
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/article ... rands.html]Want your wizards to shoot out huge shots of fire? Learn the Fire Strand technique! (Click the link)[/url]
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Welcome to Classic-Castle CorDol! Castle is indeed an awesome theme! :D

As for your questions, there's really as many different answers as there are AFOLs, since everyone has their different building styles, size they build in, colours they like to use, etc.
Therefor I can only answer your questions from my own experience, but that doens't necesarilly mean it's the right way of course ;)
CorDol wrote:-Where do you guys purchase your bricks?
I purchase my bricks primarilly from Bricklink, and occasionally from LEGO's Pick-a-Brick.

CorDol wrote:-Do you guys use all grey bricks when building models and how many do you estimate how many you need?
I'll get back to the all gray thing in the next question, since they kind of overlap, but I can answer how many parts I usually use for my Castles. My smallest castle is built up out of approximately 3 000 pieces, while my biggest castle is built up out of approximately 50 000 pieces (that is, however, including the landscape around it).
CorDol wrote:-Is it good to use one color of bricks or multiple colors?
Personally I always go for multiple colours, I think a castle made completely out of one shade of gray can look rather dull (not necesarilly though, you can do a lot with shape as well, even more than with colour). I think that if you use a few different colours here and there you give a wall a more weathered look, and make it look more "real", here's an example of what I mean: Link.

Again, these are just my personal answers to your questions, and it's different for everyone really. Just type "Castle" in the Search Gallery bar on Brickshelf and see what comes up, there's so many different ways and styles to make medieval buildings.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
CorDol
Serf

Post by CorDol »

Thankyou all SO much I will definitely take all your ideas. You guys have been a huge help for me because I couldnt wait to get started I just didnt know how. Thankyou for welcoming me to this wonderfull forum. I hope to converse with you guys in the future! Thankyou soo soo much! Happy Building!