The passing of Dan Jezek, BrickLink Founder

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: The passing of Dan Jezek, BrickLink Founder

Post by Rick-Ricks »

While I have yet to buy anything from bricklink, he has affected my hobby. If it weren't for other AFOLs who mainly supplied their hobby through bricklink, I would probaby not have advanced as far through this hobby as I have.
RIP
Lewa Rocks
Steward

Post by Lewa Rocks »

This is sad. Bricklink has definitely effected everyone. But I'm sure this effects his family more then any Lego enthusiast. So my prayers go out to his family.
Forestboy
Steward

Post by Forestboy »

Wow. Another AFOL gone in the same year? This is hard to believe. I've only used bricklink 3 times, and the one time I used it to buy things for myself, it was an absolute lifesaver. Without bricklink, things would be so much more complicated.

Rest in peace Dan, may your family find comfort and peace. I'm sure you are still alive in many of AFOLs' memories.

~FB~
[url=http://mosaicbricks.blogspot.com/]MosaicBricks[/url]-[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/12945]Mocpages[/url]-[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcrmccoy/]Flickr[/url]-[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kcrmccoy/]Brickshelf[/url]-
---
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/article ... rands.html]Want your wizards to shoot out huge shots of fire? Learn the Fire Strand technique! (Click the link)[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'll also add my condolences. As has been said, BrickLink had a fundamental impact on the development of the online Lego community, providing many people with greater access to sets and parts they'd never have come by otherwise (I for one wouldn't be the owner of several sets that are precious to me). Whilst his life was short, at least he passed away having achieved something so considerable. Rest in peace.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

I was browsing on BrickLink yesterday when I noticed the "Announcement" link. I hadn't heard prior to that.

I remember when BrickBay was announced on Lugnet. I browsed over there, saw perhaps a dozen (at most) stores, and thought "meh, the prices don't look that good." My inner skeptic/cynic was in full bloom. I remember the bru-ha-ha over the name change. I remember Dan getting flack for various business/pricing decisions he made over time. It's amazing how people lose sight of the fact that an online business is still a business.

Eventually my inner-Luddite (I tend to adopt new technologies around the time they are available at garage sales) was overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of stuff available. With the exception of one very mildly-annoying transaction and one embarrassment*, I have been very thankful for the existence of BL. Most of what I've been able to build over these past years has had a healthy dose of BL-sourced ABS.

It's good to know that the site will continue.

*Who here remembers Bill Swanberg? My order from him arrived the same day he was arrested. :oops:
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

footsteps wrote:*Who here remembers Bill Swanberg? My order from him arrived the same day he was arrested. :oops:
It's been just about five years since the very day of that story...
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

While he may have played a big part in our lives, I know he played an even bigger role in that of his family's.

My prayers will be with him and his family tonight.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

This is very sad news. His life was indeed cut too short. He had an amazing life from what I have read and his legacy will go on helping others who share his passion.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. He seems to have been a great person, the likes of which sadly is few in our day.

Heir of BF/Randall
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...