Another "Villain" Poll

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Who in your opinion is stronger of the two: Majisto or the Necromacer.

Majisto
48%
Necromancer
52%

Total votes: 104

PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

Jojo wrote: Majisto didn’t controll an army of undead, but he had an army of living men. Personally I never encountered any undead but I’m pretty sure they have their own weak spot, too. Maybe sunlight, maybe water, maybe fire. There must be something to stop them. At least undead don’t have any will nor intelligence, they only react to their masters will. That’s the huge advantage of human beings (alive): They are able to think and make decisions.
Very good point, and that's exactly why certain armies have won certain battles/wars in the past, their individual soldiers were much better at making decisions for themselves in the event of an officer's death.
Sir Kohran wrote: Majisto/Merlin was never developed beyond a basic wizard with some magic powers. He was implied to be the leader of the Dragon Masters and the enemy of both the Black Knights and perhaps also the Royal Knights. He appears to have defeated the black Knights, because after Majisto/The Dragon Masters' introduction in 1993, no more Black Knight sets were produced. However, Royal Knight sets continued to be produced after the Dragon Masters disappeared (1996), so presumably Majisto was defeated by the Royal King. So whilst he definitely had power, he was not that great.
I do like to think that because a certain faction has less troops as time runs out that that faction is dying out/being taken over by another faction, but that doesn't always make sense. According to your logic the Fright Knights would have to be the most powerful faction in all of legoland then, since after all they defeated both Dark Forest and the Royal Knights who in turn defeated the Dragon Masters who in turn defeated the Black Knights and Wolfpack... etc. etc. And I don't think that anyone sane would agree that the Fright Knights were the most powerful faction.

So what are my thoughts on the topic? First of all, Majisto commands a much more powerful army than the new wizard. The size of the undead army reflects directly upon the power of the new Wizard as there is no other way to have an army of skeletons unless you are using magical power. I know that everyone has this idea of a giant horde of skeletons, but it's just not there, there is a moderate amount of undead, but nothing truly that impressive. To the new magician's credit the line has just been started, but even so, when you compare their numbers to other faction's first years it's still only fair to average.
As I've counted there are 2 cavalry, 8 infantry, 4 pirates, and 1 archer under the command of the new wizard. Majisto commands 4 cavalry (+1 chariot), 13 infantry, and 5 archers (+1 crossbow cart), a much superior force.
The size of the dragons is in favor of the new wizard, but majisto's team seems to have everything under control, they have dragon wagons and layers and caves where as the undead army's dragons have nothing like that and so it would be a lot harder to control their dragons, magic or not.
With that in mind Majisto overall seems a lot more organized than the new wizard. What if the Skeleton Tower is taken over by the Crown Knights? Where will the new wizard set up base? Back in 1993 Majisto already had two fortresses and a secret shop that he could use. Where are the undead army's siege engines, catapults, and archers? It appears that they rely on brute force, but how can that be successful without numbers?

I know that the new wizard looks cool and all, and his army is very scary, but I'm going to have to go with Majisto. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Perhaps the new wizard knows more magic than Majisto, but he doesn't have things planned out well and he's not very organized, and if he can't even match the numbers of non magical kingdoms first years (ie crusaders) when he's got magic on his side you've gotta really think "Just how powerful is this guy anyway?".
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I do like to think that because a certain faction has less troops as time runs out that that faction is dying out/being taken over by another faction, but that doesn't always make sense. According to your logic the Fright Knights would have to be the most powerful faction in all of legoland then, since after all they defeated both Dark Forest and the Royal Knights who in turn defeated the Dragon Masters who in turn defeated the Black Knights and Wolfpack... etc. etc. And I don't think that anyone sane would agree that the Fright Knights were the most powerful faction.
Actually, two Royal Knights and a Dark Forest person were included in the Fright Knight sets, so I assume they were still around at the time. After that Castle ended so I guess we'll never know what happened after that.

- Matt
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

I voted for Majsito as he has appeared in a larger number of sets for a greater period of time and as being represented as being good and bad and for his more simply minifig design.

Comparatively Necromancer seems a bit flashy and I feel the amount of printing on his hat and legs takes away from the minifig.

The status of Majsito has been recently reinforced by homage inclusion in the 2006 Royal Kings Castle on the side of the Royal Kights/Knights kingdom version;

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=10176-1
Sibley
Foot Soldier

Post by Sibley »

PunkRockCowboy wrote:As I've counted there are 2 cavalry, 8 infantry, 4 pirates, and 1 archer under the command of the new wizard. Majisto commands 4 cavalry (+1 chariot), 13 infantry, and 5 archers (+1 crossbow cart), a much superior force.
I'm disinclined to think that a faction's entire army consists of the figs from exactly one of each set in the line. Wouldn't an army have multiple chariots and siege engines? Generally, I think the smaller sets would exist in multiples in the context of the storyline.
~Dan Sibley
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DSibley]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1225]MOCPages[/url] | [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsibley/]Flickr[/url]
Sibley
Foot Soldier

Post by Sibley »

MarioDAlessio wrote:The status of Majsito has been recently reinforced by homage inclusion in the 2006 Royal Kings Castle on the side of the Royal Kights/Knights kingdom version;

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=10176-1
I don't know who this guy is, but he certainly isn't Majisto.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards voting for Majisto. His army has the advantage of intelligence, and I'm thinking he does magic more easily (in general, though he can't or doesn't raise the dead). Why do I think that? Well, Majisto only needs a little wand, but the Necromancer needs to use all those arcane tools and a huge staff to do his magic!
~Dan Sibley
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DSibley]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1225]MOCPages[/url] | [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsibley/]Flickr[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Sir Kohran wrote:Reminds me of a Gandalf vs. Majisto poll a few years ago :lol:

Majisto/Merlin was never developed beyond a basic wizard with some magic powers.

- Matt
He's got a glow-in-the-dark wand. That's gotta be more powerful than a lightsaber. :lol:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

I voted that the necromancer was more pwerful for several reasons. Firstly a major argument for the sucess of majisto is his large dragon master army. I always though that majisto was employed by the dragon masters as apposed to being their head. The necromancy is definately the leader of his minions. Also This talk of armies and larger dragons is assuming that they figure into the equation. If we're asking with wizard in of itself is more powerful than I think that there can be little doubt that the necromancer would fry majisto to a crisp with his lightening staff while majisto is is poking him with his pointy wand. :P

Despite all of this I still like majisto better as a character. :P

God's speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

What about the fact that Majisto seemed to be able to control huge fearsome dragons while this new guy can only revive crumbly old' skellies?
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Personally I never encountered any undead but I’m pretty sure they have their own weak spot, too. Maybe sunlight, maybe water, maybe fire. There must be something to stop them
I'm sure. The tragically hip D&D way to do it is just plain bludgeoning damage. Cutting bone is difficult. Thrusting at vitals is useless. But bones are easy enough to break. Clobber a skeleton hard enough, even with just a sword, and you'll crush some bone.

But let's face it -- Superman had a weakness as well. I'd still rather have an army of Supermen than regular guys named Tim. For that one weakness we can infer, they also gain a multitude of immunities and resistances that a normal human just cannot have.

Think of it -- a skeleton army on the march, presumably, does not need to eat. Does not suffer from disease and infection or illness of any kind. They do not get tired. They do not suffer from low morale. A skeleton army is the fantasy-medieval equivalent of an army of robots. Physically, they have it in spades over a living man.

'Course, my knights will still hack through them like they aren't there. But that's because the good guys are supposed to.

At least undead don’t have any will nor intelligence, they only react to their masters will. That’s the huge advantage of human beings (alive): They are able to think and make decisions.
That's also a human being's greatest downfall in warfare. While good decisions are beneficial, poor decisions are devestating. So this balances out. A human army can be clever, but they can also faulter. They can feel fear, despair. They can become confused about orders and do the wrong thing. They can flee the field in desperation. For all the boons of being a 'thinking person' - there are also a great many negative psychological effects and reasons why a commander in the field might sometimes regret that his soldiers can think for themselves.
They in fact have their own freewill, and they don’t care much for the will of their masters but rather care for treasures.
I never thought of it that way. You take the dragons as more D&D/Tolkienesque, I presume?

I've always preferred the take on dragons of having them be beastial and lacking any kind of higher intelligence or motives. The medieval mindset of dragons often made them mindless beasts of Satan. Cunning and fierce, but no more 'reasoning and thinking' than a jaguar. Makes me feel better about having minifigs slaying dragons to not think of them as mentally-advanced creatures, I think.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
brendonoid
Gong Farmer

Post by brendonoid »

I think the biggest point that everyone is neglecting here is that if you have an enormous undead army with one necromancer controlling everything all majisto needs to win is one slightly accurate lightning bolt. Take out the leader and the undead army doesn't EXIST anymore. Majisto's line in a movie would be something like, "I guess you've all just been - DEANIMATED!" (All his soldiers laugh and fade to black)
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Well, I don't consider Majisto a villain, but I do consider him more powerful; but I'm actually not too sure about that, because the necromancer's pretty wicked looking (pun most definitely intended); but then again, Majisto's DMs are rather strapping, lifting all those huge axes and all (they can't all be for decoration); but then again, the skellies, despite their lack of muscles of any sort, are apparently able to wield swords as tall as they and still inflict damage.... But Majisto's just so COOL! :lol:

So, okie, similarly to Sibley, but less eloquently, I'm not voting...

...yet. ;)

~smcginnis
Last edited by smcginnis on Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shroud9
Peasant

Post by Shroud9 »

architect wrote:I am currently voting for Majisto. He was always popping up everwhere in sets. Does the new magician have a house, a shop, a chariot, a castle, a cart, headgear in three accessory packs, a magnet figure, and his own keychain? No, but Majisto/Merlin has all of this.

Ben
In a one-on-one battle between these two majik users, I voted for MAJISTO!!!

...why???

Well, simply because he is Blue!

lol, no, but because i always envisioned Majisto as a Merlin type who possesses untold power within his frail frame.

I could honestly see the necromancer start attacking Majisto initially, and just when it looks like the dark forces of his arcane powers has overwhelmed little old Majisto, this fiesty old wizzard pulls a Yoda, starts fighting back like crazy, and begins to suck the life out of the evil dark wizzard and crushes him totally then opens a dimentional gateway and disposes of the vile necromancer!
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• -=Richard=-
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I just saw the newest Harry Potter movie that reminded me of this lil' debate we are all considering. Despite the apparent wickedness of Voldemort, I was indeed impressed by Dumbledore.

I can also understand the idea that if you kill the evil wizard, the skelies and dragons are rendered useless.

And the idea of having troops that can't think for themselves is a powerful point. In WWII and the Napoleonic Wars (to name the first two that come to mind), this was a major weakness of some armies who suffered massive losses.

I've decided to go for Majisto. I also must confess to having a "soft spot" for the ol' wizard. 8)

That said, the new, evil wizard is very cool.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Sibley wrote
I don't know who this guy is, but he certainly isn't Majisto.
I agree with your comment that this wizard is not the 1993 – 1998 Majisto, my post was meaning to convey that I thought the design of this wizard using a plain blue torso and legs was clearly a homage to Majisto in the year 2006 without coping details exactly.

For that matter I think this magnet wizard released in 2005 was also.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?G=M428

The set 10176 contained minifigs made from pre existing parts and at this time printed torsos were not that common in the castle line.

His writing scoll was that from Harry Potter http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3068bpb90

His head was that from the existing Viking line which has now been used in the new castle line;
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn. ... pb239&in=M
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Oh so definitely Majisto!
I mean come on, wouldn't a single dragon just plow through a whole army of skeletons? And all the sets added up, Majisto has a bunch of dragons.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]