Mini Review of Set 7036 Dwarve's Mine

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

I just heard a news report on the news something about a crazy man driving like a bat out of Megablocks on the I-5 between Sacramento and Stockton screaming "Dwarf mines","Dwarf Mines" :shock: :shock:
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Asterios wrote:about 40 miles below you in Stockton,on Pacific Ave. the I-5 and 8-Mile store might have them too but no money for gas to check it out :cry:
To bad its not windy enough or I'd attach a sail to my truck. Maybe I'll get a rope and tag on to a big rig. :) Thanks for the info I may have enough gas to get down there and back.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

Asterios wrote:I just heard a news report on the news something about a crazy man driving like a bat out of Megablocks on the I-5 between Sacramento and Stockton screaming "Dwarf mines","Dwarf Mines" :shock: :shock:
Are you sure that wasn't... You? :P
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dr-J]My Brickshelf; come on in and take your shoes off![/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerng/]My Flickr; wipe your feet at the door and wash your hands.[/url]
<><
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

nah i live in Stockton and no gas to leave it :P
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

as it goes i like the trolls in the new sets since they can be my goblin work horses :P
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

by the way nobody let Athos know there are Dwarf Mines in Stockton or there won't be any left after he hits them targets :P
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
preterosso
Villein

Post by preterosso »

Two on the shelf at the Richmond Target on West Broad @ Libbie when I swung by this afternoon: and two when I left (not in the budget :cry: ).
Just Phil
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Don't want to impose, but Asterios, try to put all of your thoughts into one post in order to keep the thread unclogged. If you want to add to a post you've already made, you can edit it. Just saying. :wink:
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

This set seems to be a long dreamed-dream come to pass, and a rather, well, unsettling one at the same time. I must withold final judgment until I lay hands on a set myself of course. However based one what I have seen thus far;

I have asked Lego for the dwarves and "orcs" for many years. In writing, in prayer, and in person in the last few years. Someone earlier in the thread commented that the wingless dwarf helmets look Gimli-ish. I agree. They are very reminescent of Peter Jackson's version of Gimli's helmet. I would say that there are other veiled Tolkien references. The beards look very much like Tolkien's description, and the dwarves in the PJ movies. The "orcs" (are they called orcs or trolls or anything else in the set?) echo the over-bitten goblins of the 1978 Rankin-Bass version of "The Hobbit," which has become a vision for orcs (and other generic or just plain knock-off non human baddies) for many years since. I love the figs and nearly all their gear.

But I am let down by the "orc's" sword. I like the curved sword concept (after all Tolkien equated curved swords with evil), but these look too large and cartoony. It looks like something I would expect from Mega-bloks or another pretender to the Lego throne. Again, I need to hold one first, so I won't condemn them outright.

The troll is a real letdown for me. It just says Playmobil, MB and so on.

That said, I understand the pressures these other competitors have placed upon Lego. Playmobil's theme specific toys are very appealing, and MB's pre-molded things are no doubt cheaper to manufacter, a cost savings passed onto customers as MB seeks to engage TLC in a price war. A war in which they have had no small measure of success.

Overall I would say I like the set very much, and when I get the set I'll know for sure. If it's as great as I hope, then I believe TLC will be rewarded with many sales.

Oh--I like the flat front rectangular/octangular shields, it may be easier to apply stickers.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Post by Slobey »

The Blue Knight wrote: But I am let down by the "orc's" sword. I like the curved sword concept (after all Tolkien equated curved swords with evil), but these look too large and cartoony. It looks like something I would expect from Mega-bloks or another pretender to the Lego throne. Again, I need to hold one first, so I won't condemn them outright.
A lot of people are saying that they dislike the troll sword but to me it looks alot like the scimitar thats been out for a while thats been rusted and badly cared for :)

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=x260

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2763309
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

I'm curious... how well do the beards fit on top of capes?
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Slobey wrote:
The Blue Knight wrote: But I am let down by the "orc's" sword. I like the curved sword concept (after all Tolkien equated curved swords with evil), but these look too large and cartoony. It looks like something I would expect from Mega-bloks or another pretender to the Lego throne. Again, I need to hold one first, so I won't condemn them outright.
A lot of people are saying that they dislike the troll sword but to me it looks alot like the scimitar thats been out for a while thats been rusted and badly cared for :)
I am also "let down" by the "orc's" sword. Not so much the shape as the size. If you size it up to the figure, the hilt is almost taller than the figure. Traditionally this size would mean it would be a two-handed sword. Its the same beef I have with the chrome sword - it makes it look like the figure is holding a hockey stick or one of those anime swords. The shape is ok as it looks like it was made by an orc.

The beards fit ok but the heads fit tight on the neck. Its hard to move the head once the beard and head are seated right, although this could be normal figure production variances.

I send thanks to Asterios for the tip on the location. I tried other Targets but it was only at the one he saw them at. They had eight on the end of the aisle. I only had enough to buy two which is good as I thought it nice to leave some for other collectors and easier on the wallet. I came back late and could only examine it briefly before going to sleep. So far I'm glad to have them but will try to make more time to analyze them.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
savageone
Gong Farmer

The good news is I bought 7036 Dwarve's Mine at Target

Post by savageone »

Hey folks - get this: I was at the LEGO imagination center yesterday (Wednesday) and THEY didn't have the new Dwarve's set! I then stopped by two Target locations in the Twin Cities' area and found nothing. Anyone in MN find this yet?
Anything worth doing is worth over-doing!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Asterios wrote:by the way nobody let Athos know there are Dwarf Mines in Stockton or there won't be any left after he hits them targets :P
Stockton is too far for me to go, even for Dwarf Mines... and my wife would only let me get one anyway... :lol:

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

thats why you get someone you know to pick them up for you Athos and bring them next time they see you at a SACBB meeting or whatever.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain