Weekly Set Review: Knight's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

The inclusion of Green Flag is not a bad point for me, I like it a lot.
The Red gate too. It's so nice. The red color make this castle very attractive. I guess you could add 6061 and 6040 and it make a really nice castle. Note that the red color in 6040 and 6073, are really nice together.

I always find that the front gate was a bit short in height, but it's a cool castle anyway. I agree that 6074 eclipse the beauty of 6073. It's like if it replace it, but I don't want to admit that...

I don't have it... :cry:
Why don't I have it ?... :cry:
I want to have it...

It's one of the few set I'd like to have that I don't have.
(6073-6060-6077-6103).
This is my objective to buy this year.

9.5/10
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I really like the Knight's Castle. It makes me sentimental because this was the first LEGO castle that I ever saw. Some children of one of my parents friends had this castle. I did not get a 6073 until I was an adult, but I have always liked this castle.

The size is suprisingly small but the towers, red gate with the ladder pieces, and the jail are all awesome! :D

Ben E.
Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

I really love it!
Found my first one on a flewmarket for 15 DM ~ 7$.
I love the red arch and the classic look. It is not the biggest castle, but size doesn't allwys matter.

10 of 10 Points!
jb
Freeman

Post by jb »

I remember getting this set, because its about the only thing my sister and I ever agreed upon as kids :) We somehow pooled our allowances and got it. My favorite part of the castle is the prison, and I like how the drawbridge can be reeled in (I really wish this would have been implemented on BFF). It was a great companion to 6080 and I wish lego would make more castle stuff like this.

jb
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

I got this set as a child; it was one of my first lego kits that had minifigs. I spent many hours building castles with it. It has lots of castle wall pieces, no strange baseplates, it's hinged walls make it easy to modify... basically a great set. Sadly I never had any other kits that could be added onto this one but this kit stands alone nicely.
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

:shock: Fantastic set!
I can't say words about it.
I just wanted him now( it's only now I know it were made).
About the green flags, I have unlesh 4 of them.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

Another set I would have loved to own just for the pieces, the actual set design isn't very impressive. 9/10 for the pieces, 6/10 for the concept.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Not bad. As with all older castle sets, I wish I could have been around when they were normally priced. Still, it seems a little confusing. This set seems to be smaller than the BFF, so why is this the castle while the bigger one is a fortress?

7/10

--Caleb
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

A very nice set. Lots of wall panels, which I like.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I have never owned this castle, nor have I ever known anyone who owned it. Therefore, my opinions will have no hint of sentimentality. However, since I have not ever seen the set in person, my opinion could be skewed as well.

Judging from the pictures of this set, it seems to be a great value. You get a small outpost type castle with plenty of knights to protect it. I have seen far larger castles put out by Lego, that came with far fewer knights. This in my opinion is a huge plus.

As far as the actual structure itself, I do not see anything outstanding. It does look like there is great opportunity for alternate models however.

The bottom line is, though there have been better overall castles released, I don't think you could go wrong with this set. Without spending a large amount at retail, you could aquire some nice little outpost with pieces which are adequate to make other designs, as well as a decent amount of knights to incorporate into your kingdom. Because of this, I would have to give it a 7 out of 10. Not outstanding, but above average and a great value.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir Smittens wrote:This set seems to be smaller than the BFF, so why is this the castle while the bigger one is a fortress?
Don't give anything on set names, they are different in every country. The BBF is actually a chateau rather than a fortress or castle.

Bye
Jojo

Kev
Bailiff

Red gate

Post by Kev »

My first reply seems to have gotten sloughed off to the "Chateau" thread. so I'll repeat myself.

The red gate I believe can be interpreted as being brick, as opposed to the stone of the rest of the castle. To me, it looks less weird if you think of it as being red brick, rather than red-painted stone. Having stone portions and brick portions of the same castle was not that uncommon, I believe. I also always felt that the very cool interior black brick door represented an iron door, as opposed to the thin one-piece black door found in 6080, which is rather woodlike.

All in all, a cool, simple, castle, that begs to be expanded.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Hm... I would buy a bunch of them if tlc came out wih it as a legend. But.. red arch?And green flags? Green flags for falcons just does not fit. 7 out of 10
Space rocks.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

ok, I know it's late but still I have to write my opinion you know so:

I didn't have 6073 as a child, always wanted it. Almost done making it now. It is a smallest version of 6080 that came in the same year. It's got a unique dungoen. 6 BF minifigs. The only set with 6 BF shields. On 1984 was the only Black Knight, the only red and black plastic capes, the only black feathers for a while (and still not very common), the only set that had 2 arch 1x3 in red and 24 gray walls which is still a lot. The only castle that can open, but it's rear walls only rotate 90 degrees rather then 180. I'll take Jojo explanation for the red gate cause it's probably true.

I toyed once with the idea how the castle would look with a gate in another color and....

This is the result: Image

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=80317

Well I guess it still look best as red :lol:

Final grade: 8.5/10 it could have been 9 or 9.5, I don't like the fact that the side of the castle is too nerrow, I guess another wall at each side could have made the difference.

P.S. to Jojo/Ben: I have a small mistake in the picture (didn't have the power to change it again), can you spot it?
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Webrain wrote:
I toyed once with the idea how the castle would look with a gate in another color and....
Can you change all the gray to sand red? I'd love to see that.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]