Weekly Set Review: 10066 Castle Accessories

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Can't say enough about this set. I bought at least twenty spread out over a few months. Didn't need the big chrome greatsword at all. The crowns were a bother but now I'm glad to have them. This set rocked! :D
Even though I didn't have a direct use for all of the items when purchased but I know that eventially I'll need every piece eventially. 10/10 8)
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Great accessory pack, I give it 9/10 because it should have come with euro armour to go with the visored helmet, but ah well, it's still great :D
Shoes wrote:theres no forestmen hat :(
This was WAY after the Forestmen's time.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

It was a decent pack and I bought a handful of them. Not as good as some of the accessory packs from the early 90s, but it's the only pack that came out after I returned as an adult collector and could buy as many as I wanted.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Astuanaks
Villein

Post by Astuanaks »

I remember wanting these kinds of sets when I was a child. In those days, an extra helmet and weapon meant another soldier!

If this set was available now, I would buy several.
These are the parts I would buy it for:
bow and quiver, plumes, beards, helmets, swords, black princess hat and peasant hat

I have more crowns, halberds, lances and skeletons than I can ever use, so I would gladly exchange those for another set of plumes (blue or white ones, please).

I don't have a need for the samurai and ninja stuff, but I'm sure I would find a use for that sooner or later.

best regards,
Stefan
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Astuanax]My Brickshelf folder[/url]
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

This "set" looks amazing! But I was an idiot and didn't buy any at all :evil:
I really could of used this stuff for my creations.

From what I can see, 10/10
(Frankly, I don't see why it needs euro armor. I'm sick of those things!)
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I wish I had bought some of these when I had the chance D : Awesome set though.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

What I love most about this is the Dark Grey Round Helmet, which I could never get enough of. Also, though, the old broadsword is great.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

About par with all the other accessories sets for useful parts ratio... had the obligatory wizard hat and crown (though I always had a place for crowns, the wizard hats baffled me...) to deal with. The bull horns were useless to me, as was the green ninja hood (nice to have a new colour, and not a repeat of something more mundane, like red, but I'm not really a Ninja fan). Still, these defects were much balanced by the presence of the visored helm, which at that time (pre-Bricklink for me) was deeply precious--though light grey was not the colour I would have picked, at that time.

Parts: 9/10
Playability: N/A
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (contemporary): 9.5/10
Design (universal): 8/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 8.7/10
Baites
Foot Soldier

theme pack

Post by Baites »

I missed out on this item. When I entered my Third Lego Age, I discovered Lego Star Wars and lego.com. I didn't take advantage of the offer due to Star Wars themes were eating up of alot of my lego budget. Now I'm entering my Fourth Lego Age (I bought a house, so the lego moves from boxes in my parents basement to their own room) I could have used the various theme packs that used to be on sale.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This is very nice. It would be great if another was released by LEGO for the new sets. Not as good as an accessory pack from the 80's (maybe a couple of longbows and forestmen hats instead of the Ninja stuff), but excellent all the same.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This set came out before I had discovered the magical Bricklink, so when I saw a Euro helmet, and a different coloured one at that, I ordered the set before I even noticed the other pieces. As far as Accessories sets go, this is all right. It comes with an acceptable assortment of weapons and helmets, the obligatory feather set and a nice addition of the skeleton. However, it is somewhat lacking in peasantish stuff. With only the one brown hood and no accessories such as scrolls, cups, chests, etc, it doesn't place it too high on my charts, that, and the fact that it includes Ninja accessories. Don't get me wrong, I love Ninja pieces, but I have always considered Ninja a separate type from Castle, this just rankled me.

Be that as it may, it was still a great set to get.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Accesory packs rule! OK Lego, where's the next one????
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

This was only available as a Lego internet shop at home for me in Australia

I never purchased it, the other shop at home castle sets available including 1000 Guarded Inn, 10039 Black Falcon's Fortress & 3739 Blacksmith Shop were far to appealing to spend money on these elements.

For me this pack in 2003 largely contained already common accessories because of the prior mass release of Fright Knight, KK1 and Ninja Impulse sets. The Farmer's Cowl and light gray knight visor were tempting but not enough.

It almost seemed that Lego was dumping excess parts from the Fright Knights, KK1 and Ninja sets, this type of set would be ideal if it contained more civilian, rare or unique elements.

For example I would think if Lego reintroduced an accessory pack tomorrow using this accessory pack as a guide it would be full of surplus and relatively common Harry Potter, KK2 and Viking elements.

The new castle impulse set to be released soon with two helmets and excess weapons or the Chess sets would always be a better army builder for me, therefore I would think for this or any future accessory set to be appealing it would need to contain more rare or unique elements.

In summary not very desirable for its time.

Mario
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

Accessory packs are always welcome.

You get one skeleton (it is a minifig on its own after all), black haldberd and a lot of other cool stuff.

However, from my point of view it is hard to find a good usage of the green hood and I have more than enough crowns which seems to be a problem for most of the people around.

9/10 for the set
10/10 for the idea
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

The green ninja hood makes this accessory pack for me, actually. I'm rather shocked I somehow missed it back in 2003! (Oh how I miss accessory packs...)
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]