Weekly Set Review: Viking Fortress against the Fafnir Dragon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I guess I'm one of the few that HATES the dragon. To me it just seems out of place because of all the Technic pieces, I don't mind a few here and there like on the catapults but the dragon looks like it is from a separate Creator series set.
I don't mind the Technic dragon - it's a monster; it's mean to look sort of different. And it certainly beats the little 'dragons' we saw with Majisto.

What I didn't like about the Technic was how it was used with the Fortress - this is supposed to be a Dark Ages structure and yet it's got Bionicle elements all over the place. In fantasy like KK2 or even Castle 07 this is more acceptable but here the Technic looked very out of place.

- Matt
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

Well when i first saw it i wanted it. So when i got it i thought it looked so cool. But after i built it it was a kinda ummmmmmm like boring so i put it in a box, and i put it under my bed. Were it was never opened again. True story hate to say it. :)
Luke I am your father! Join me and receive a free toaster!
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I just picked this up in a bulk lot that I bought.
I find the dragon to be very good in concept, but it has some flaws in execution. I find the tail section is not stable nor robust enough for kids play. The wing set up seems odd with the extra links before the actual"webbing" of the wing begins.

The Bailey works and I like the details of the doors and all the extra teeth that come with the set. Too bad about the motte ...

The mini figs are a nice addition to any collection. I really appreciate the details of the torsos and the additional faces.
The two headed axes are a great idea and allow for lots of combinations

I am somewht disappointed with the shields in that the t-bar handle seem to be more limiting that usual for shield placement although maybe that is just my issue.

I find that when my son and I played with this it was limited and we had to add a lot of other characters - Batman and Catwomen I believe.

Moving it or trying to take it apart in sections was a minor event so it was portable or when we wanted the kitchen table or lving room floor backback

Catapults - well enough said.

Overall I think this is a good selection of pieces and a reasonably playable set.

Bert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

Today, (23rd) this set is 50% off @ TRU. That means it's 35.00! I didn't get it, but my mom went shopping today and knows it's on sale... 8) I want it mostly for the logs & screaming heads. (I LOVE screaming heads) Aprox. how many logs does it include?
><>Ben<><
forseti
Villein

Post by forseti »

The Phantom wrote:Today, (23rd) this set is 50% off @ TRU. That means it's 35.00!
USA or EU?
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

:oops: Sorry, USA.
><>Ben<><
forseti
Villein

Post by forseti »

meh, thought so. Imagine my dissapointment :(
birnerd
Gong Farmer

Re:

Post by birnerd »

Anyone have assembled set? Can advise me the total height as I need to plan for my dimension of the display cabinet.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Viking Fortress against the Fafnir Dragon

Post by gormadoc1 »

I never realy folowed or liked the viking sets but this one I think is quite good from what im seeing because of its simple mott and bailey design :)
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I like most of the Viking line but think you are right in regards to the wooden fort. I think Lego should reuse some of these design ideas for some new wood fortifications.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

A two years old set review, and I did not reply? Anyway.

I like this fortress, because it's different in shape and colour. (While by "colour" I don't like the difference between new brown and old brown, but the difference between regular grey and general brown. Of course.) I'm also quite fond of the gate. Lego is doing good on gates, take the gate of the Agents' Volcano gate (8637) for reference. And, surprise, I even like how the big catapult on top of the rear tower is built. I could do without the smaller catapults, though. I'd have liked it better if the fortress came with a pair of barracks instead. Actually some kind of viking-stylish house had been shown in the unintentionally but previously shown pictures of this fortress that showed up half a year before the Vikings' official release. Unfortunatelly they (Lego) altered that in the final design. Alas.

Still a good set.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Colonel Strider
Serf

Post by Colonel Strider »

I love all the new brown pieces they would be great i should have gotten this set.
~Strider~