Weekly Set Review: Mistlands Tower

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Athos wrote:
Formendacil wrote: Design (contemporary): 5/10 (VDF was much better, to compare with a similarly sized KK2 structure)
That's hardly a fair comparison, since VDF costs double the price of MLT...

Steve
I agree. MT has 431 pieces, VDF has 967. It seems a bit unfair to then compare them.

- Matt
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Kohran wrote:
Athos wrote:
Formendacil wrote: Design (contemporary): 5/10 (VDF was much better, to compare with a similarly sized KK2 structure)
That's hardly a fair comparison, since VDF costs double the price of MLT...

Steve
I agree. MT has 431 pieces, VDF has 967. It seems a bit unfair to then compare them.

- Matt
Okay, you guys want to make it fair, take half the VDF--I don't care which half--and compare it. I still think the VDF comes out looking better.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Not much to say about this set. Really, it is mediocre at best. A very bland set. Nothing to great, nor to bad about it.

It's design is in the usual style for the era. Lots of open space. Too many entrances. On the plus side it at least is better than some KK sets, Citadel of Orlan and Scorpion Prison Cave being foremost. The gate at least gives it a sense of...well, sense. The fig count is rather small compared to other sets of that line, with only five people, and a strange group at that. I will not go into the catapult (another pointless one).

All in all a rather meh set. No great figs (in design or amount), no great building (though better than some) no real point to the whole set.

Meh,
Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I think I'd have to agree with Sir Kohran's original assessment of the set - with the added criticism of the stickers for bricks - I remember a day (not too long ago) when they would have been printed on the wall pieces.

To make matters worse, I actually stuck one of the brick stickers on upside down...! Stupid, I know, but still enraging to me, once I found out my bone-headed mistake and the unlikely prospect of being able to take the sticker of and then reapply it with no damage to the sticker.

So now one wall is always... just a bit different. :wink:

That said, this set does have some neat little innovations and features, such as those mentioned. The dropping skeleton, the fire/forge, and the dragon ball thingy are some of my favorites. Not a bad set.

Oh, one other thing, I'm not a fan of the way sets have had no large green plate, but just some small green plates for the walls to stand on, and nothing in the middle... how can you have a real battle display!?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

"Oh, one other thing, I'm not a fan of the way sets have had no large green plate, but just some small green plates for the walls to stand on, and nothing in the middle... how can you have a real battle display!?"

Very good point. It is tought to have a SECURE battle scene with the pieces given in the recent lego offerings. But there are always the giant green and grey plates for sale. I also know that those can take up a lot of space.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

The 3x 2006 knights kingdom 2 sets including Rogue Knight Battleship & Gargoyle Bridge were a welcome sign that castle was heading back in the right direction, Battle of the Pass and King's Castle was confirmation.

I had given up on buying knights kingdom 2, Lego had spoilt me with earlier castle Legends sets and knights kingdom 1, at this time the only new sets I enjoyed were the smaller impulse Viking sets.

The 2006 sets to me appeared linear and two dimensional, to be lined upped.

I was willing to buy the Rogue Knight Battleship but passed on Mistlands Tower and Gargoyle Bridge because simply they were inferior in price and minifig selection to the other 2006 castle sets:

8813 Battle at the Pass
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8813

10176 King's Castle
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/10176

Mario
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I said it in a few other places, but the figs were a definite step in the right direction. I love Karzon and the Dark Green Knight.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Blue Monarch wrote:I said it in a few other places, but the figs were a definite step in the right direction. I love Karzon and the Dark Green Knight.
I also like those two knights - my only regret is that it was easier to get them - they would make a very cool army!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

I guess this is an ancient thread by now, but I'm sure there are going to be other people out there like me who will come along and buy this set years after it came out, as well. So I'll put in my two cents worth.

I just bought this set tonight on eBay, so I haven't gotten it yet. But I have done my homework on it. I think it's a pretty decent set, if only for the parts. For someone like me, who only has 2007 or later castle sets, this has some nice elements to work with, such as:

a large 3x8x6 wall section
two dragon skulls (great for battering rams)
two large black rectangular doors with hinges
two dark gray castle turret top sections
a doorway section with clips for torches

It also has a nice assortment of sloped bricks and arches, as well as a wide variety of minifig parts, weapons, armor, and even two different capes. It may be not be the best set ever, but for $50, it's not a bad deal. It's just not as cool as 8813 Battle at the Pass, though. I give it a 6.5/10, I guess.
jdigiovanna
Serf

Post by jdigiovanna »

I Can't Stand The KK2 Prefab Walls :x :x :x ! I traded mine all away and couldn't bring myself to buy this set because of them. I admit i kinda like the figs but i bought the kk1 remake castle to get the red chainmail body and i was satisfied. I give it a 5 or 6/10. It has a cool epic look, nice figs, and those dragon heads, but is ultimatley falls short of vladeks castle and I wish the main tower was less prefabbed,

Jameson.
"Come home with this sheild or upon it."-A Spartan woman equips her son
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

jdigiovanna wrote:I Can't Stand The KK2 Prefab Walls :x :x :x ! I traded mine all away and couldn't bring myself to buy this set because of them. I admit i kinda like the figs but i bought the kk1 remake castle to get the red chainmail body and i was satisfied. I give it a 5 or 6/10. It has a cool epic look, nice figs, and those dragon heads, but is ultimatley falls short of vladeks castle and I wish the main tower was less prefabbed,

Jameson.
I like the large one-piece wall sections, personally. They make putting together large castles and castle town walls simple and quick. They look solid and fortified. But then again, I do see your point. Making a similar section out of a number of smaller parts would look nicer, especially if you added a few select dark bley bricks here and there for good measure. :wink:
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

I apologize for the double-post, but I just got this set today and put it together, so now I have a more valid reason to post than my merely speculative last post.

Anyway, I like it. Not as much as 8813 Battle at the Pass or 7094 King's Castle Siege, but it's a decent set. I'm still not sure what the big blue thing at the top is, but it's interesting, to say the least. The siege vehicle is odd, but I like siege vehicles, so that's fine. It's hard to say much more about it that hasn't already been said in this thread.

For the $50 list price, I think it's a better buy than 7093 Skeleton Tower, personally. However, I picked my Mistlands Tower set up for only $35, so I guess I got a really good deal. I doubt I'd buy another one, though, even at that price. But I am glad I got one of them.

My rating: 6/10