Weekly Set Review: Wolfpack Renegades

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

I recently got this for $5 off Ebay, and I think it was worth the money. I didn't like the idea of the treasure being under the cart though. It does have a nice selection of weapons and figs to offset that.

8/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hmmm....

I guess I'm one of those "new members" who's never reviewed this one yet. Pity it took me so long... 'tis a great set.

Mind you, any set with Wolfpack is awesome just because of that little detail- in my opinion. As the first LEGO cart with which I was familiar- although, alas, never introduced in person- this set has a certain charm for me, and more adult (but still rather childish) analysis confirms the idea that this is a great little set: well-built, good figs, good accessories.

Parts: 7.5/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (then): 7.5/10
Design (now): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 9/10

Overall Score: 8.25/10
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

This set was one of the first LEGO Castle sets that I owned, if not the first. It was also one of the first System sets that I owned. Therefore, I will probably rate it highly just because of that fact. I still have this set in fairly good condition, but the clip plates are broken. I suppose that speaks well of the play value. :lol:
I still like this set very much, as it can be used in a medieval town for the scruffy folk. The minifigures are very nice and standard as well. I would give this set a score of 8/10 overall.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

There isn't really anything not to like about this set. The only complaint I have does not so much concern this set as much as the Wolfpack in general, and that is the fact that they all had beards or patches on their eyes. I think that Lego should have released a few of the Wolfpack figures with the standard smiley face heads for better troop building. More Wolfpack sets would have been welcome as well, but considering they were supposed to be a small band of thieves, I would say the sets we did get did them justice.
I agree wholeheartedly. Smiley faces on more of the figs would have been great, in fact when I first got this set when it came out (I think the first I ordered from S@H by myself) I stole town fig's heads for the one w/o an eye patch. I thought it was neet to see a castle guy with a patch, but the more lI stared at the catalog the more I wished that they had only put it on the head guy back at the tower.

On to the set. I think the blue is great. A black wagon blends too easily into the background, the blue really lets us kow it is there in a moc. I have purchased two total. The huge load of weapons is one of the things that first really attracted me to the set. The Wolfpack were awsome when the came out, and I've always had a soft spot for them. I thought it was neet to have a band of robbers I could send my knights after when they weren't battling the evil dragon masters, or amongst themselves.

Anyways, I say it's a superb set, and Lego should really take another lesson from the past yet again.

In His Grip, Chris
mysticallyenchanting
Villein

Post by mysticallyenchanting »

A pretty nifty set considering what else TLC was churning out at the time.
baniaj2
Villein

Post by baniaj2 »

10/10

wolfpack was a great concept that needed more product under banner.

It was nice to get a set that has more weapons than minifigs.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

This is in my opinion one of the greatest sets for attaining wolfpac minifigs.

Rate=9.5
-Alan-
good times
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Well, let's see . . . it's got the Wolfpack, arguably one of the coolest factions TLC ever devised, an unparalled minifig/weapon ratio, and a secret treasure compartment (that supposedly can hold a minifig, but I've never quite been able to make it fit. :? ) - and on top of that, it was the more common of the two smaller Wolf sets.

Sounds like a winner to me. :D
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Ah, nostalga-wise, this is a very great set. I remember way back in the day when me and my bro divided the castle themes. There were an odd number that we knew of, so we had to split one in half. The smallest (and one we owned none of) was chosen. I got the tower and Mike got this. Twas one of the few times I won out against my bigger brother.

Still, I wouldn't mind this little beauty. Apart from a very nice selection of pieces, the set design is quite nice. A bit confusing, but different than most carts out there. The whole Wolfpack line (all two sets) was quite different. A robberish group of dudes not in green. Not very traditional. Perhaps thats why I like em.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Wow, this one brings back memories! I got this set along with the Wolfpack tower when it came out as a birthday gift! I must say i was then (and still am now) very impressed with both the design of the cart, use of pieces, and extras that this set gave you. A few of these go very nicely in ANY castle collection! 10/10 in my opinion
-Joe "Cool"
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I am a bit confused by the blue color on this set, but I do like it. It comes with a nice amont of figs... and it's not really your typical cart in that it has some "personality" to it, instead of a seat or two and a horse. The fact that it is wolfpack is the icing on the cake. I have one of these (although I was not lucky enough to get it for only $5), and it's surely one of my favorite carts.

Someday I might try to remake it in black instead of blue, that would probally look much better for the wolfpack.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

I would like to point out something I just remembered. Many people say there are jsut two Wolfpack sets, this is not actually true. There are three actual Wolfpack sets. Besides the tower and wagon there was a small set made largely of a BURP.

It's the #1596-1 Ghostly Hideout. It contains a wolfpack dude, a ghost guy and a small "cave" made from a BURP and a black arch "tree".

Just thought I would point that out, have a great day everyone!

In His Grip, Chris
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

wunztwice wrote:I would like to point out something I just remembered. Many people say there are jsut two Wolfpack sets, this is not actually true. There are three actual Wolfpack sets.
Yup, that is true. Actually, the number of wolfpack set depends on your definition of "wolfpack set", because there are more sets that came with wolfpack figs.

Here is a list of all the sets that came with a wolfpack torso:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973p44

Some of those sets are the same with different numbers but you get the idea.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

Bit late reaction. I like this set, the wolves are great, and the set is a good disign. Loads of stuff with it.
8/10
Scurticus
Gong Farmer

Post by Scurticus »

I loved the wolfpack series and this set is definately high on my list of favorites. Many great pieces just wish I had picked up more of these when I was younger.
9 out of 10.