Weekly Set Review: Guarded Inn

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

rogue27 wrote: Don't you have that backwards?
I think you are right. I was thinking of the original Lion knight torsos which had small gold dots in 1984-85. I need to find both copies of my food flags to compare unless someone else already has a photo of this.

Ben
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I remember drooling over this as a kid, looking at my shop at home magazine. My mother wouldn't buy it for me and I still don't have it today. Although I would like it, I know I could just build an even better one from all my Lego pieces.

Who wouldn't want an inn?? I mean really, it is the coolest part of the Castle theme.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I don't have this set yet either. I have every other Crusader set as they are my favorite faction, but for some reason this one always slips between my fingers. When the re-release came out, I was in Asia and couldn't find it.

I really love this set - both for sentimental and "cool factor" reasons. It is also something of a silly dream for me to FINALLY be able to assemble the King's Castle with all of the Crusader modules in it.

The set itself is nice - it has a nice design and decoration for medieval building, and gives some sort of hint at medieval life outside of castles and knights fighting each other.

One thing that always confused me was what would happen if it rained, since there seems to be a lack of protection against the elements, but oh well. :)

Nice set - I love the modular aspect of it, as I do the somewhat civilian feel to it.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

I've always considered that it was a pity not to have a second floor with a bed under the roof (like for some 80's house sets); there would have place for that! Here exterior and interior don't match (e.g. the upper windows are useless and not accessible; it's supposed to be an inn but there's no place to sleep; etc.)

Then maybe it would be good if the building was a bit longer so that four or six soldiers could seat and eat together instead of only one or two...

Anyway, it's one of the nicest set, I really like the overall design!
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Jyp wrote:I've always considered that it was a pity not to have a second floor with a bed under the roof (like for some 80's house sets); there would have place for that!
I agree. It’s possible, though:

I admit there have been more comfortable beds in Legoland…

Bye
Jojo

(Little review in German http://www.1000steine.de/forum2/forum_e ... p?id=12955 )
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

In my mind, this is tied with Forestmen's Crossing for best set ever. That's probably for nostalgic value, as those were the ones I wanted most as a kid, but never got (still don't have either... yet.)

Not much I can add, except to ask how this hasn't been reviewed before now :?:
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

I wish I had knowen abot this set when it came out :cry: :cry: how much did it cost? :?:
KKI is the best KKI is the best
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Traveler wrote:In my mind, this is tied with Forestmen's Crossing for best set ever. :?:
Really?? I too am empty-handed on both. At the time, I really wanted the guarded inn, and not so much the Forestmen Crossing. I suppose if you compare the rarity of the two sets it would be very close. I suppose you are right, though: it comes down to nostalgia.

If I had one of the two to choose from it would be the guarded inn.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

I do not own this set, but I was reviewing the instructions for it online (I am considering making a variation of it). I like the general overall feel of this set. It is a great set for kids, because there is a good blend of military and civilian playability. Who is to say that only knights can eat at this inn (of course that is back in the day when there were more civilian figures available)? On the other hand... Am I the only one who thinks that it isnt necessary for the front of the inn to open, when the back is already open? Other than that it has great play value and provides knights a place to stop and eat on their way to and from quests.
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Jyp wrote:I've always considered that it was a pity not to have a second floor with a bed under the roof (like for some 80's house sets); there would have place for that!
I agree. It’s possible, though:

I admit there have been more comfortable beds in Legoland…

Bye
Jojo

(Little review in German http://www.1000steine.de/forum2/forum_e ... p?id=12955 )
LOL!! I've done that before with that little space. Never worked well.
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
moom
Freeman

Post by moom »

Ben the lego king wrote:I wish I had knowen abot this set when it came out :cry: :cry: how much did it cost? :?:
You can look it up on www.classic-castle.com: clik on button Sets in the left column of the page, then on Out of Production, and finally on 1986 for the original released version of the set, or 2001 for the legend re-release.