2008 Castle Chess set....insane.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

I noticed the price of this set the other day when purchasing some Euro Armors from LEGO's PaB Online.

Turned out to be about $100 more than my steepest expectation.. Which in short, this sadly means there's no way I'm affording one of these, no matter how much it pains me to let it slip by (It's a remarkable set, worth all $300 (Ok, prolly more like $350 factoring in the tax/shipping)).

I need to win the lottery.. As soon as I'm 18 (Alright, 363 days to go!!). :P

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

Wow this is a very coool set but I really doubt that I will ever buy it due to the huge price. :cry:
Mog
Freeman

Post by Mog »

I realize that the US economy is in the toilet. But even so, the price of everything else in the US (LEGO or not) hasn't doubled in the, um, three weeks since Green Grocer was released in the US, so it seems weird for the Giant Chess Set to be dramatically more expensive.

Basically, the "it's all the American economy's fault!" argument doesn't hold water, because then other recently released sets, like Green Grocer, would be more expensive, as well. But they're not. The American economy has been in the toilet for a while now, and LEGO hasn't jacked up any other prices so significantly. Apparently, the poor economy only effects LEGO sets based on chessboards, or something.
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
LordZode
Apprentice

Post by LordZode »

Mog wrote:I realize that the US economy is in the toilet. But even so, the price of everything else in the US (LEGO or not) hasn't doubled in the, um, three weeks since Green Grocer was released in the US, so it seems weird for the Giant Chess Set to be dramatically more expensive.

Basically, the "it's all the American economy's fault!" argument doesn't hold water, because then other recently released sets, like Green Grocer, would be more expensive, as well. But they're not. The American economy has been in the toilet for a while now, and LEGO hasn't jacked up any other prices so significantly. Apparently, the poor economy only effects LEGO sets based on chessboards, or something.

As was stated earlier, Green Grocer etc uses a large number of basic, currently in production parts, which are alot cheaper per piece to produce then the huge number of minifigs and specialized parts in the Chess Set.
TooMuchDew
Gong Farmer

How to get a UCS Castle for $299.99

Post by TooMuchDew »

Set your wayback machine for 2002...
Purchase:
03739 - Blacksmith Shop, 622 pieces, 2 figures, US$40
10039 - Black Falcon's Fortress, 424 elements, 6 minifigs, US$40
10047 - Grey Arch, 36 elements, US $6
10060 - Grey Plates, 56 elements, US$5
10064 - Grey Plates, 84 elements, US$5
10066 - Castle Accessories, 36 elements, US$5
03454 - 2x2 Light Grey Bricks, 100 elements, US$7
03459 - 2x4 Light Grey Bricks, 50 elements, US$7
03464 - 2x8 Light Grey Bricks, 25 elements, US$9
03725 - 1x2 Light Grey Bricks, 100 elements, US$6
03469 - 1x4 Light Grey Bricks, 50 elements, US$6
03474 - 1x6 Light Grey Bricks, 50 elements, US$7
03479 - 1x8 Light Grey Bricks, 25 elements, US$6
00628 - X-Large Gray Baseplate, 1 element, US$12.99

$299.99 gets you 3231 elements, 26 minifigs, 4 horses
No other real castle sets then (no counting Harry Potter)

Of course wasn't 2002 the year when there were 15 different Galidor sets introduced?
Bill
(TooMuchDew)
G.M.L.T.C.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Mog the US economy is far from in the toilet. (our growth was less than a percent. this is unacceptable long term yes, but toilet?)That being said, if Hillary or Obama have their way....

anyway moving right back on to topic.

I'd like to see a reason as to why the US price of the set is so steep. It could be exchange rates but wouldnt that apply to all sets?
Domino Gloria!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: How to get a UCS Castle for $299.99

Post by architect »

TooMuchDew wrote:Set your wayback machine for 2002...
Purchase:
03739 - Blacksmith Shop, 622 pieces, 2 figures, US$40
10047 - Grey Arch, 36 elements, US $6
10060 - Grey Plates, 56 elements, US$5
10064 - Grey Plates, 84 elements, US$5
10066 - Castle Accessories, 36 elements, US$5
03454 - 2x2 Light Grey Bricks, 100 elements, US$7
03464 - 2x8 Light Grey Bricks, 25 elements, US$9
03474 - 1x6 Light Grey Bricks, 50 elements, US$7
03479 - 1x8 Light Grey Bricks, 25 elements, US$6
00628 - X-Large Gray Baseplate, 1 element, US$12.99

$299.99 gets you 3231 elements, 26 minifigs, 4 horses
No other real castle sets then (no counting Harry Potter)

Of course wasn't 2002 the year when there were 15 different Galidor sets introduced?
You could argue that LEGO was losing a lot of money in years like 2002 because some of their products were too affordable (and other set designs were terrible). Sets like the Guarded Inn and Black Falcon's Fortress could have easily sold for an extra $5 to $10 each.

The big difference that I see is the price points. Instead of making a giant chess set that few can afford, why not make a mid level price range castle sets that many fans want? Of course you have to sell a higher volume of sets to make a good profit, but your customers will be happy.

If LEGO chooses to make very expensive Castle sets in the future, it would be wise to focus on the building experience. I want to build giant castles, inns, watermills, etc. I do not want to build a bunch of figures that have a chess set which will hardly be used. Fans will pay for a $300 or even a $500 castle set, if it is a grey castle.

Ben
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Re: How to get a UCS Castle for $299.99

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

architect wrote:
The big difference that I see is the price points. Instead of making a giant chess set that few can afford, why not make a mid level price range castle sets that many fans want? Of course you have to sell a higher volume of sets to make a good profit, but your customers will be happy.

If LEGO chooses to make very expensive Castle sets in the future, it would be wise to focus on the building experience. I want to build giant castles, inns, watermills, etc. I do not want to build a bunch of figures that have a chess set which will hardly be used. Fans will pay for a $300 or even a $500 castle set, if it is a grey castle.

Ben
Ditto on both points. Although I'm more up for the first idea than uber-expensive yet super-detailed castles. Especially if its the price range you're talking about.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

"If LEGO chooses to make very expensive Castle sets in the future, it would be wise to focus on the building experience. I want to build giant castles, inns, watermills, etc. I do not want to build a bunch of figures that have a chess set which will hardly be used. Fans will pay for a $300 or even a $500 castle set, if it is a grey castle.

Ben"

I could not agree more Ben!

I do think that the higher priced sets are targeted to AFOLs, insofar as this is true the chess set is good in that they are making it for us. But yeah, if you're gonna do that, make us big castles!
Domino Gloria!
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

for one 100$ Yesss for 150$ yes for 250$ maby 300$ No way i can afford that especially with tax time. its just to expensive sorry TLG maby you should make it a little cheaper.
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I spend hundreds of dollars a year on LEGO Castles, Star Wars, Town and other LEGO items. I have purchased every major and minor Star Wars LEGO set featuring minifigures, until 2007. In 2007 the $500 super-detailed Millenium Falcon debuted with new minifigures. I balked at the high price. Is it fantastic looking? Yes. Would it be a great building experience? Yes. Are there features that I'd love to own? Yes. But it is not a reasonable toy/hobby purchase price, so I do not own it, and do not intend to. Since I did not buy this one minifigure set, and have no intention of it, it causes me no great pain to pass on the LEGO exclusive motorized AT-AT. If I don't have one and my collection is incomplete, what pain would it be to me to miss another? You see, a high price not only negates interest in a purchase, but also kills interest in some other items. I am afraid this is going to be the case for me with Castle very soon.

Just a few points I thought I'd rant about regarding pricing and purchase habits.
Mog
Freeman

Post by Mog »

LordZode wrote:As was stated earlier, Green Grocer etc uses a large number of basic, currently in production parts, which are alot cheaper per piece to produce then the huge number of minifigs and specialized parts in the Chess Set.
That still doesn't explain why the chess set is 33% more expensive than Green Grocer in the UK and 100% more expensive than Green Grocer in the US.
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Mog wrote: That still doesn't explain why the chess set is 33% more expensive than Green Grocer in the UK and 100% more expensive than Green Grocer in the US.
The chess set has 775% more mini-figures than the Green Grocer. Figures and printed elements are much more expensive to produce than basic brick. Just check the price of a 1x2 brick vs. a printed castle torso on LEGO Factory.

Ben
kibosh
Apprentice

Post by kibosh »

True. Look at it this way. They sell a battle pack with 5 painted figures for $13 USD. There are 32 chess pieces on the board. If they were all standard painted minifigs, that would be roughly $78 just in minifigs.
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

architect wrote:
Mog wrote: That still doesn't explain why the chess set is 33% more expensive than Green Grocer in the UK and 100% more expensive than Green Grocer in the US.
The chess set has 775% more mini-figures than the Green Grocer. Figures and printed elements are much more expensive to produce than basic brick. Just check the price of a 1x2 brick vs. a printed castle torso on LEGO Factory.

Ben
But that still doesn't explain the weirdness of the differenc between the contries. Why 100% more in the US but only 33% more in the UK?
The torsos can't hardly be more expensive to produce in the US then in the UK, can they?
As long as there is no speciall "lego-torso-tax" in the US the difference in price between the sets should either be 33% or 100% in both the US and the UK (or somthing else, like 66%).
(I don't complain though, living in Sweden with similar pricing as in the UK I'm just glad if the castlesets is "cheap" rellative to the citysets)

Hehe, and to mess things up even further I can't avoid beeing a little picky about Mogs maths:
The chess is actually NOT 33% more expensive than the Green Grocery in the UK, but 40% ((140-100)/100=0,4). The figure for the US is still 100% though ((300-150)/150=1)