2008 Castle Chess set....insane.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

Just my $0.02:
For the same amount a person could buy 80 impulse sets.
So:
40 Orcs and 40 knights, wich, including the extra armour, helmet, sword and shield in the Knight set and the extra spears in the Orc set would get you 200 armed castle figs. (And an army of Bubonic plague carrying rats :twisted: )
Last edited by Sir Dano on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paleotaur
Peasant

Post by paleotaur »

Excellent point, Sir Dano, given that we keep hearing that the reason the chess set is so expensive is that it has so many figs...
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

kibosh wrote:True. Look at it this way. They sell a battle pack with 5 painted figures for $13 USD. There are 32 chess pieces on the board. If they were all standard painted minifigs, that would be roughly $78 just in minifigs.
Now that's not a bad idea actually. I just might buy that if they did that.
Sir Dano wrote:Just my .02 cents:
For the same amount a person could buy 80 impulse sets.
So:
40 Orcs and 40 knights, wich, including the extra armour, helmet, sword and shield in the Knight set and the extra spears in the Orc set would get you 200 armed castle figs. (And an army of Bubonic plague carrying rats Twisted Evil )
You're a perfect example of an absolute genius! But what if we don't like crownies?
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

The new Dwarf Catapult set should be around $10, which will give you 2 orcs and a dwarf for the price of 3 orc impulse sets (or any of the others).

Just saying.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

SavaTheAggie wrote:The new Dwarf Catapult set should be around $10, which will give you 2 orcs and a dwarf for the price of 3 orc impulse sets (or any of the others).

Just saying.

--Tony
True...

Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

Voran_the_Scholar wrote:You're a perfect example of an absolute genius! But what if we don't like crownies?
1. Why thank you. 2. Hence the "Just my $0.02"
Last edited by Sir Dano on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

sir dano wrote:
Voran_the_Scholar wrote:You're a perfect example of an absolute genius! But what if we don't like crownies?
1. Why thank you. 2. Hence the "Just my 0.02 cents"
You know, now that I've thought about it, it really should be $0.02, or 2 cents...0.02 cents is an impossibly small amount. :wink:

Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

Voran_the_Scholar wrote:You know, now that I've thought about it, it really should be $0.02, or 2 cents...0.02 cents is an impossibly small amount. :wink:
What you talkin' 'bout Voran?
Back on topic: I'm sticking with my impulse plan rather than buying the chess set.
gogobig
Gong Farmer

Post by gogobig »

The reason for pricing this set too high is pretty simple. In past 3 years LEGO's sales went up a lot because more adults are buying their sets. Starwars and Indiana Jones are huge hits. Town is going pretty good as well. Castle ws ok until last year when they launched skeletons and new line of knights-people went crazy. They are here to make money just like any business, and Lego is a business, not a charity.

Therefore, if you really want to see this new set going down to $199 than simply dont buy it. Its simple economic supply-demand. They will make tons of them because they are expecting adults to buy the new set. No kid (under 16) will have that much money and be willing to throw it on one set. However, their supply might be high, but if there is no demand they are experiencing a loss. The sets wont sell unless they lower them down.
If you want the price cheaper get other members and everyone can work together towards lowering the price of new chess set by simply not buying it.
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

The problem with that approach is that it would discourage Lego from making other expensive sets that might be more desirable.
HeartOfDorkness
kibosh
Apprentice

Post by kibosh »

HeartOfDarkness wrote:The problem with that approach is that it would discourage Lego from making other expensive sets that might be more desirable.
Exactly. I don't think the price point is the problem per se. It's the product for the price. When you consider the previous chess sets were $50 USD, I don't think this set is 6 times more superior.

I wish we knew more about what the base was made out of. Who knows. Maybe it's just FULL of gray bricks.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

My guess would be a hollow grid of plates/bricks holding up a 48x48 grey baseplate covered in 2x2 tiles. That's what I would do, anyway. After all, 576 of the pieces are 2x2 tiles that make up the game board.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Mog
Freeman

Post by Mog »

I think Aggie is pretty much right. In fact, I don't think it will even be much of a grid. It'll just be the big decorative "frame" piece that you "drop" the baseplate into. Maybe it'll have a cross-beam for support, but I'm not sure if it'll even have that (or need it). LEGO, who designs their products to look good on the box, isn't exactly known for putting lots of pieces where they can't be seen (with a few exceptions).
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

i never thought about the battle pack thing thats really smart!
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I dont know about Tony's sig there. I mean would you really combine your lego with anyone? I dont think there's a woman in the world who.... : )
Domino Gloria!