2008 Castle Chess set....insane.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I got mine last week and have put it together. I preordered it at brickworld in June. No shipping cost either due to the purchase at brickworld. :D (sweet) The black piece that comes with the dark wizards staff is indeed a black lightsaber hilt and not just a pair of skateboard wheels like previous chess sets. He is holding the fire in his hand so he is smaller for storage purposes. I put the fire on his staff once I pulled him out of the packaging.

You are able to store the board assembled in its original box. However you will have to cut the cardboard box that the extra building pieces came in. Since this box is attached below the plastic area where the figures are stored it is hidden and not seen anyway. I don't know why they screwed this up. It is strange that they would expect people to accurately cut a box like that. Unless you are supposed to remove the box all together? If anyone contacts lego it would sure be helpful to post a solutuion here.

As has been said there is a plethora of gear and very useful castle building parts. I absolutely love this set and will keep it built and on display. I plan on getting more if they ever go on sale for parting them out.
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I don't know if this has been brought up before but the four corners of the board seem to correspond to sets. It is possible that LEGO is making a troll camp set.
brickstuff
Gong Farmer

Post by brickstuff »

Do the figures come apart? Some castle sets they do and some they don't. Would be great for army building.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

brickstuff wrote:Do the figures come apart? Some castle sets they do and some they don't. Would be great for army building.
Yes, they come apart. From what I have heard, everything come apart and you have to assemble it all, so nothing at all is glued.

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ELMAS
Apprentice

Post by ELMAS »

Remyth wrote:
brickstuff wrote:Do the figures come apart? Some castle sets they do and some they don't. Would be great for army building.
Yes, they come apart. From what I have heard, everything come apart and you have to assemble it all, so nothing at all is glued.

In Christ,
Correct. Everything comes apart, just like a regular set. There are only 2 things that come assembled:

1.- All minifigs have a "slot" in the box and they come already pre-assembled.
2.- The black/white chess board is already assembled with tiles and a gray baseplate, that's it. The rest comes in bags and has to be assembled on top of another gray baseplate.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Re: 2008 Castle Chess set....insane.

Post by Count Blacktron »

So four years down the road and what have I learned?

This set was worth the money I spent to get it back in the day.

Look at what it goes for on Amazon.Com today:

http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Castle-85229 ... 654&sr=8-3

Starting at $1,599.99 :twitch:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
jaydawg
Serf

Post by jaydawg »

Assuming you kept it MISB, definitely a good investment. I have, however, seen them going for as little as $275 on ebay recently ... complete, though not MISB. The $1600 list price on Amazon doesn't mean people are actually buying them at that price (maybe they are though). Regardless, I'm sure someone would pay way more than original price for a MISB set these days.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I bought 2 and did keep one MISB. However, I am unlikely to sell it. I just keep aquiring more LEGO at this point. Maybe my LEGO will be a retirement fund one day.

This set was a joy to build and play chess with. However, I did take it apart because it gathered so much dust... Hard to believe it was that long ago now.