Weekly Set Review: Wolfpack Tower

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

I've always loved this set... it was a stalwart to me for many years, and my largest set for quite some time. This is probably the reason I build so many hideouts now. I actually think this is a very well designed set despite the obvious lack of a floor as JoJo noted...

God Bless,

Nathan
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Ah, what a set. A set I can happily call my own. I can hardly remember it's design (took it apart soon after recieving it last summer) but I remember a few cool and not cool things about it. It has a great assortment of pieces and figs. The fact that it was built on water is kinda cool, considering pretty much every other castle set has a green baseplate. That however does create the problem of water inside the keep, but hey, that gives it a dungeony feel.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I just bought this set from e-bay last year - it came without the promised figs, so that was a bit annoying, but all of the pieces were there and in mint condition and the structure itself was very nice for a little hideaway fortress.

I like the bridge and the whole lake thing - it makes me think that this tower is located somewhere very deep in the forest, and in the middle of a small, forgotten lake. It would be a little nicer if the tower was more robust in terms of pieces, but altogether, this set offers a pretty smart design and value for it's size.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
mscannell
Serf

Post by mscannell »

I really like this set though the interior is a bit small. Many lego sets are a bit small on the interior but we can always make a bigger version of the set. I like the idea of this being an old run down fortification hidden away deep in the woods on a lake.
The Duke
Serf

Post by The Duke »

hello all,

i remember saving money for this set when i was a kid and i was very pleased when i finally got it. back then i liked the pieces ecpecially. those were my first BURPS, turret pieces and roof pieces. today i still like the design of the bridge leading to the main tower in the lake. it's very hard for an attacker to capture this tower since the only way is over the bridge.

the wolfpack never became a favorite faction of mine. they all looked very much the same. that's why this faction remained small i think. they're just a bunch of thieves, hiding in the mountains in an old tower, that they did NOT built themselves. having more than 6 wolfpack guys seems useless to me, it won't fit in their hideout.

it did't take long before i took this set apart and used the pieces to make an even bigger castle for my black monarch (my all time favorite faction) and thanks to the minifig packs in those day's i now, still, have some 30+ homeless wolfpack guy's.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

I like the tower and the theme. Too bad LEGO didn't expand on it. It would have been nice to have a Wolfpack Fortress. Ah well. The set itself is the same style of builds as the dragonmaster stuff before it, as I am not the greatest fan of it, I give it a 6.5/10
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

This is a very good set, made very well within the framework of the good old sets. The idea of the castle being on water is original, and I like the bridge. The castle (tower) looks very grim and imposing, with the grey walls and the tall, featureless walls. I like the chamber inhabited by a ghost, and the interior is very interesting. A good set.
It's a shame Lego didn't continue with the wolfpack faction.
Design: 10/10
Playability: 9/10 (thank God for the absence of catapults)
Minifigs: 7/10 (not enough inhabitants of the tower)
Accessories: 9/10
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

A severly underrated set.

There wasn't really alot wrong with this set. It made for a nice fortress, and included a great selection of bricks. Originally, I bought this for the 16x32 blue baseplate. When I completed the set, I found that the model was quite nice (despite lacking a proper floor). Its too bad that this faction was never expanded upon. Still, this was an attractive fortress if there ever was one.

8/10

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

Oww, I love this set. I didn`t had it untill 2 months ago.
This set is awesome, becouse of the minifigures, the disign and the 8 tower corners (which are very usefull) The wolfpack were are great outlaws theme. To bad LEGO prodused just a few sets of it.

I give this set:
9/10
Scurticus
Gong Farmer

Post by Scurticus »

I loved this set, Wolfpack is still one of my all-time favorite lego themes. I got every set for this series and was highly disappointed that the next year didnt have any new sets for it. So, I give this set an 8 overall.
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Love it :D
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

This is one of my favorite sets I just recently bought this set and I was very happy with it, although it isn't very big for being the biggest set for that faction.
I also thought as some other people have mentioned
that the tower itself was an old abandoned tower on a mountain lake and that the wolfpack were a bunch of mountain outlaws, so to me it was a perfect fit of my conceptions about the wolfpack, anyhow the only things I don't like about it are the flooded floor and the ghost.

so I would give it a 9/10.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I really like this set. Can't really explain why though. The wolfpack guys are very cool though.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

the tower itself was an old abandoned tower on a mountain lake
Good description. It certainly has the haunting sense of an old, abandoned castle.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Odd set, yet more like a bridge than a tower, or at least a tower you can live in... :roll: