KK2 or Royal Knights?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Is the KK2 Line better than the RK line? (Sets included)

Poll ended at Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:47 pm

They are equal
10%
The Royal Knights are much better
90%
KK2 is much better
No votes

Total votes: 39

Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Ben,

You're right, I did confuse RK with KKI. If anything, my opinion of RK is worse then what I stated. The minifigs for RK were the worst of any faction. There were some decent sets, but nothing too spectacular.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Redaxe wrote:Ben,

You're right, I did confuse RK with KKI. If anything, my opinion of RK is worse then what I stated. The minifigs for RK were the worst of any faction. There were some decent sets, but nothing too spectacular.
Do you want to change your vote then? I think an admin might be able to do that...

--Caleb
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Do you want to change your vote then? I think an admin might be able to do that...

--Caleb
Nah, I'll leave it. I still think that while the RK sets are marginally better, there are some cooler pieces in KKII. Of course, neither compares favorably to the glory days.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

There is no comparison. The Royal Knight's are easily superior. You could buy Royal Knight sets and intertwine them with other existing castle sets. The soldiers looked like soldiers, we finally got a king, and some of the sets were pretty good. The Royal Knight's are not my favorite faction, but I think they were admirable.

I won't even recognize the new sets. I find no redeeming qualities in them. None. In my eyes, castle died when the Royal Knight's died and the "Fright Knight's" showed up on the scene. Its been downhill ever since.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I have to admit that the Royal Knights weren't perfect, and now I'm old enough to see some the design flaws in their sets.

In general, they are still my favourite line.

I like the King. True, he doesn't have a smiley face, or some benevolent old man face, but that's good: he's a strong leader of a strong country, who knows what he's doing. Perhaps his torsos is something of a letdown to those who know KK1 torsos, but no shirt that I am aware prior to this that lacked visible signs of armour had as high a detail, while still belonging to a specific faction.

I don't like the over-availability of the king, but it really isn't as bad as the KK1 turned out to, or Willa the Itch in FK.

I like the colours and the lion emblem: The Lion emblem isn't really medieval-looking, but neither are any of the other emblems, except for the Crusaders and the Yellow-Castle era. I defy anyone to find a falcon on a medieval shield that was was as monochromatic and made of as plain of lines as the one on the Black Falcon's emblem. (That's not a criticism of the BFs, mind. I like them too.) As for the colours, they are perhaps gaudier than typical medieval colours, but red and white were the Polish colours, and I believe, some the crusaders.

All said, I no longer think of the RKs as divine (as I once did), but I still like them. :!:
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Formendacil wrote:I defy anyone to find a falcon on a medieval shield that was was as monochromatic and made of as plain of lines as the one on the Black Falcon's emblem. (That's not a criticism of the BFs, mind. I like them too.) As for the colours, they are perhaps gaudier than typical medieval colours, but red and white were the Polish colours, and I believe, some the crusaders.
I like challenges. :)

This was on the standard of Julius Caesar.

http://www.heraldryunlimited.com/world/ ... ssical.htm

Here is another, from the same website. (Heraldry Unlimited). They only post heraldry that was actually used.

eagle as the King of the birds, the eagle is one of the most important charges in heraldry. A double-headed eagle was the device of the Holy Roman Empire and the eagle was also used by the Russian, Austrian, German and French empires. The bald eagle is also the symbol of the U.S.A. It is usually found displayed, with the wings expanded. An eagle "in his majesty" is crowned and holds a sceptre in one claw. Click here for more information about the different positions in which the eagle can be found.

Should I look for more? 8)

The Black Falcon shield looks pretty similar. In any case, much better than the horrible lion shield from RKs.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I never said that there were no falcons or birds in heraldry: I was well aware of the Roman and Holy Roman emblems. I was saying that they weren't as stylised: although I do seem to have been wrong about the monochromatic. I stand by what I said though: the lions are no worse than the BF falcons, BK & DM dragons, and the DF/FM stags.
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Formendacil wrote:I never said that there were no falcons or birds in heraldry: I was well aware of the Roman and Holy Roman emblems. I was saying that they weren't as stylised: although I do seem to have been wrong about the monochromatic. I stand by what I said though: the lions are no worse than the BF falcons, BK & DM dragons, and the DF/FM stags.
Well, I disagree with you. The RK Lion is far worse in my opinion. Would you like to trade me for mine? I'll take almost any other faction.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I would, except that I love the other emblems (if not the factions to which they belong) as much as the RK ones, and I have fewer of them to begin with. Besides, my shields, torsos, and other assorted emblem-holders are all old dear friends, they each have a cherished history. I couldn't bear to see them leave my hands for those of a stranger, possibly to be mutilated or worse, ignored. (Not that I don't do that anyway, sometimes.) So thanks, but no thanks. :P
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

I dont really like the royal knights, but I like them better than the kk2 knights.
Alan
good times
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Formendacil wrote:Well, I would, except that I love the other emblems (if not the factions to which they belong) as much as the RK ones, and I have fewer of them to begin with. Besides, my shields, torsos, and other assorted emblem-holders are all old dear friends, they each have a cherished history. I couldn't bear to see them leave my hands for those of a stranger, possibly to be mutilated or worse, ignored. (Not that I don't do that anyway, sometimes.) So thanks, but no thanks. :P
Hey, I had to give it a shot. :roll:
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Royal knights are much better. The Royal Knights Castle is one of the bigest, and they also have the scalemail knights that I use for my soldiers. Nothing against KK2, but the minifigs don't blend with anything. Also, their swords don't even look like castle swords.
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Royal knights are much better. The Royal Knights Castle is one of the bigest, and they also have the scalemail knights that I use for my soldiers. Nothing against KK2, but the minifigs don't blend with anything. Also, their swords don't even look like castle swords.
Manwe_Valar_of_air
Serf

Post by Manwe_Valar_of_air »

Definitely the royal knights, because they don't have those funky swords that the knight's kingdom guys have.
I'm Manwe mightiest of the Valar and lord of the Undying lands.