Weekly Set Review: King's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Nicker
Peasant

Re: Weekly Set Review: King's Castle

Post by Nicker »

This was my first big castle set that I got. I must have been 6 or 7 years old when I got it. It is very well designed with a nice assortment of figures. Before I got the set I always imagined there was a King mini figure with it since it was referred to as the Kings Castle in one Lego catalogue I had. I would rate this set 9/10.
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1
Laird Cashman
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Laird Cashman »

It is well designed, plus white saddles (?) and plenty of horses. Good figs and it earns 8-10. Lvirp. :)
I am an alien, here to eat you all, regurgitate you, gingerly poke your remains, and then devour them. FUN, RIGHT?!
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

This set is simply great! Lot's of figures, great parts, and huge playability (due to it's compatibility with the other castle sets in this era)

9.5/10 :D
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
lolas
Villein

Post by lolas »

It was my first Lego set.
I was so exited - lots of parts, minifigs, excellent playability...

It was great idea to connect walls from different sets using pins
Griffon
Foot Soldier

Post by Griffon »

This is not just one off the best, it is the best set ever and no set yet, or set to come wil ever beat it in my opinion. I have always loved its design and looks and also the number of knights. I got this this set in very good condition when i had just come out of my darkage earlier this year. this because for when i was a kid it was too expensive too get for my birthday. Some of my MOC's have very much been inspired by this Castle (i also made an microscale version off it for the mini/microscalecontest) and will be in the future.

verdict: 11/10 :D
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Great set, simple and uncomplicated. I purchased a number of copies.

On one level I think it was a shame it was pre horse-barding and king minifigures ect.

Judged against its time and it was a good use of existing elements and was consistent with the standard of that time.

Mario
Sir Zeppelin
Foot Soldier
Location: On the battlefiels, performing my duties as a foot soldier.

Post by Sir Zeppelin »

This is a great set. It has lots of figs, lots of parts (especially old gray), and great playability. What more could you ask for?
Here comes the orator! With his flood of words,
And his drop of reason.
- Ben Franklin

[url=http://legotales.webs.com]LEGO Tales[/url] [url=http://castlelandgroupstories.webs.com]Castleland Group Stories[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi/]My Brickshelf[/url]

Enjoy writing LEGO castle stories? Check out [url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World/]Castle World[/url]
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

When I was 11 or 12, I looked forward to going grocery shopping with my mom as the store had this on the shelf, seemingly forever. She would go off and shop while I'd sit and stare, handle and generally drool over the box containing this set. Even back then I'd look at the pictures and use the parts to build something in my imagination or even run all the characters through situations or just mindlessly stare and wish I could take it home with me. I got it for Christmas later that year and what a Christmas it was, as so very few presents have ever had the same kind of affect on me. Probably not until 20 some years later when my wife gave me the Luke Skywalker ForceFX lightsabre has any one Christmas present meant as much to me (except of course my son Grady who was born on December 19, 2005, incidentally, the same year I got my lightsabre[my only present that year]). Of course I look at this set through rose coloured glasses! Why wouldn't I?

To this day, I look at this as my favorite set ever with #6929 Starfleet Voyager as very close second, also for nostalgic reasons. This set, while pretty sparse on interior details was the cat's meow. You can close it up for play with it as a stand alone concentric type castle or open it up to make one heck of a wall with gate flanking towers or completely tear it down and make one giant wall for the Falcons to try to get over. The figs with their printed armour, and new grilled helmets were so great and, HORSES! Looking back though, I can easily see that the gatehouse is too tall, or conversely, the walls are too short but they were working within the confines of a wall piece that was only five bricks tall. Hey, as with any LEGO set though, they are just starting off points. They do hope/intend that you'll buy more sets just so you can take the ideas they provide for you and make what you want(this sentence contains one of my AFOL peeve rants which I won't bring up just now).

I'll leave off here so I can come back and add some more comments the next time this set comes up in the WSR.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I loved this set. I think it was my first BIG set. I got it the same time Ye Olde did. Good thing we live the whole continent away. :D While rebuilding it has not been able to capture the magic I felt for it at one time, it is a memory and a set I will forever cherish. I was asked a few weeks ago about which set I would get if the opportunity arose that I could either The Kings Castle or The Camouflage Outpost. Both have such great memories, it is hard to chose. Hooray for gate houses, hinged walls, and many minifigs.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I got this as an adult as a gift from my wife. I think between this and Black Monarch's is to me the spirit of Castle theme. I just love this castle. It is my faction head for my knights of the west. A very solid defence and a nice army to boot.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

This was my first big castle. At the point that I received this as a Christmas gift (all those years ago) I had already settled on the Lion (Crusaders) faction and my brother on the Black Falcons. I had a couple structures at that point, but this thing was huge. My brother and I would have epic struggles to control the house with out Lego armies (if only I had the troop budget back then that I do now :wink: ). Anyway, the Kings Castle was huge for the time and easy to defend (against marbles launched from catapults).

The figure selection is awesome. You get four knights to crusade with and there are enough troops to stay behind and defend the castle. I think that figure number is one of the biggest failings of recent castles (although I undrstand that Lego wants action capacity out of every set). There are enough spare weapons lying around to arm up some peasants if need be for added defense. I rebuilt my Kings Castle a few years ago and my three year old daughter loves it. Something along these lines would be great for any upcomming Lego castle line.
vinchenso
Gong Farmer

Post by vinchenso »

I wish i got this set...LEGO really doesnt make them like they used 2...Gr8 money 4 value...SO MANY MINIFIGS. U get cool knights and the castle actually doesnt look half bad, unlike some of the stuff 2day...Old SChool lego wins...Gives so many must have parts too and it kinda hard to get textures like that....
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

architect wrote:Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6080 King’s Castle.

King’s Castle, released in 1984, was the first Lion castle. It has a central gatetower with a plate portcullis and a drawbridge. Two side wings fold open. They contain two archer towers, stairs to the battlements, and a jail. Four knights, four archers, two axemen, two spearmen, and accessories are included with the castle.

Best. Castle. Ever. 10/10

...Evaahhh!!! :D
For the King's Castle!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I'll once again join the masses and say this is my favorite LEGO castle set... and also my first big castle. I didn't even know what Lego was before I got this... the horses and knights looked so weird to me... (I was a He-Man collector then, with mean-looking bad guys and happy-looking good guys).

This castle opened up a new channel for me... not good/bad, but adventures with all sorts of different characters. For memories and for the solid structure, it's my favorite. I have two. :tasty:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I hope it's not too late to reply to this thread, but this set is in my top five if not top three LEGO sets of all time. The only other Castle set that may surpass it is the Yellow Castle which I received when young.

This set was the reason for me to come out of my dark age. I had an enormous amount of fun with it, but in the mid eighties cameras and computers were not as they are today, with the ease of uploading pictures, etc. This set allowed Castle to be my most favorite theme over Space and Town.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!