7979 Castle Adventcalender

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
KDog
Villein

Post by KDog »

Before I knew about the packaging issues, I at least had hope Lego might reconsider and place the Advent set on S@H. It doesn't seem likely now. Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to pay inflated prices for it elsewhere. That sucks. :-(
Lego: Space - The Comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Not to sound crass, but with regard to the packaging cry me a river... TLG knows we in NA want this set, and can make it happen if desire exists on their part.

So lego, are you as loyal to us as we are to you?
Domino Gloria!
KDog
Villein

Post by KDog »

I would be surprised if the sales of the set in North America wouldn't make up for the cost of producing appropriate packaging, but I'm no corporate bean-counter.
Lego: Space - The Comic
http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space
preterosso
Villein

Post by preterosso »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Perhaps something can be worked out like was done with the Good Wizard?
OK, Ben: ball's in your court. You should JUST about be done with all the invoicing and shipping of the Good Wizard sets -- I'm sure you're looking for something to eat up all that free time. Let's flex some Classic-Castle muscles (or at least buying power)!
Just Phil
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

This is very upsetting.
erikstormtrooper
Serf

Post by erikstormtrooper »

This is a bad business move on Lego's part. I guess Bricklink will have to meet my needs now. I'm disappointed, but some lucky soul in Europe will profit from Lego's mistake.

Hey, at least we can get the coin bank in NA :roll:
highlandcattle
Serf

Post by highlandcattle »

Lego has never heard of a sticker ?
Just sticker the warnings on the boxes and your all set.
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Yes, they have resolved these issues before with a sticker. They were (still?) doing that all the time with Belville.

Frank
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I............Uh..........ye............wuh..........huh? Why!? That's my simple question. Okay, I understand that at this point, it would be more than a little impossible to get the set out, with the packaging thing. My question though is, why didn't they plan for a release in the US when they started the whole thing? It's understandable that once the ball was rolling things can't be stopped, by why didn't they roll the ball in a more USish direction? Oh well, that sucks. I am now going to fool myself into thinking that it will still be avaliable in Canada. After all, nothing has been said about that.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Lord Insanity
Villein

Post by Lord Insanity »

I must say I am really confused as to how in the information age the relevant people at the Lego Company didn't think this would sell well in North America. I have been waiting for 2 months to place as small S@H order just so I could order 2 castle advent calenders at the same time to minimize shipping costs. I would be very surprised if this set would have not otherwise sold at least triple what the castle coin bank is expected to sell. On the other hand I have no intention of buying another town/city advent calender in the foreseeable future because I don't want anymore of those parts and figs right now. Lets be realistic most of us want the Castle advent calender for the parts and figs it appears to contain. If some knucklehead is basing the Castle advent calender projected demand on previous town/city advent calender sales I think they have completely missed the boat.
"A little nonsense now and then relished by the wisest men" - The real Willy Wonka
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Robin Hood wrote:I am now going to fool myself into thinking that it will still be avaliable in Canada. After all, nothing has been said about that.

Dan :wink:
Lucky you. :wink:

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

What What? No calendar? Now we will have to buy them from Bricklink at a premium. I was planning on buying at least 4, which means I would have ended up with eight. Any unique figures like the Evil Chess Queen and the barmaid will be over $10/figure if not already. Why deny us the Good Wizard and this? Haven't we in the USA been buying the 2007 and 2008 Castle like good FOLs?

LEGO could have the box lettering in Cuniform or Heirglyphics or Aramaic or Romulan for that matter. I would care less and hope they take the sticker idea seriously.

This blows. Can't sugar coat that any other way.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

It's great that Steve has stepped in and explained the reasons here (thanks Steve! you rock!), but before we all give up and plan on importing it ourselves or plan on buying it on Bricklink, perhaps we should organize our voices and communicate our disappointment to LEGO in an organized, quantifiable way.

I'm at work at the moment, but as one avenue, I'll post the news with a poll on The Brothers Brick tonight. Perhaps CC admins would like to organize a petition or poll here as well. *nudge nudge*

(Sheesh, you'd think I was a union leader in real life or something...)
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

LEGO S@H, get your sorry butts in gear. Make this available for purchase THIS CHRISTMAS and if a region like North America wants some, go print up some stickers to slap on the side of the boxes. We will pay, I can assure you of that, for these sets. Not just the 4 to 8 each and every one of us wants, but one each AT LEAST for our own children (which to me adds another 4 to my order). I purchased 20 copies of the European edition of the Night Lord's Castle in 1999-2000 from USA KB Toy Stores (no US box printing/stickers instead), why is this not a goal now? If this is true, then shame AGAIN on LEGO for soiling your name to consumers. Leaking this set and teasing the market to me at least reminds me very much of the evil that was the changing of the gray/brown scale. For criminy sakes, don't you have focus groups, information hunters, Ambassadors and people you employ to find out if a market can be developed, let alone maintained??? IF this is true, then LEGO is going to make some very unhappy children in MY home this year; they don't want the same old City Calenders anymore--they ASKED for the Castle Calender. :!:

Hey, here is a novel idea too. Make it available to Australia too...
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

Wow. Just, wow. That sucks. Why would LEGO NOT release this in the U.S.? I've never bought a LEGO Advent Calendar in my life but I was planning on getting at least one, probably two of these. This makes me so mad. I might have to write LEGO a very angry letter with a few choice words in it.
Tower of Iron Will wrote: LEGO could have the box lettering in Cuniform or Heirglyphics or Aramaic or Romulan for that matter. I would care less and hope they take the sticker idea seriously.
-Tower
Yeah, I would take a box that read 7979 @#$%@&*#. Seriuosly, who cares what the box reads? You don't buy the set just to read the box.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."