7979 Castle Adventcalender

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

MaceyWindu wrote:Yeah, I would take a box that read 7979 @#$%@&*#. Seriuosly, who cares what the box reads? You don't buy the set just to read the box.
As Tony suggested, the issue is probably largely legal (warnings, notices, etc.), and therefore much more complicated than your personal language preference.

I'm not defending the decision, but there's more to packaging than changing the words.
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

VAMPROE
I talked to US lego today and it was confirmed by 2 differnet people that this set will NOT be in the US, and only sold in the UK and Europe.

Welcome Vamproe and thanks for the heads up. I’m assuming they were referring to the rest of the world.

SavaTheAggie
It probably has something to do with US-Specific warning labels, language requirements, etc. All that fine print we don't ever look at.
Those prominently positioned US warning signs that small parts are dangerous to children under 3 bla bla bla ruin the Lego Box design. It should be readily apparent to any parent any way, additionally a large number of consumers depose of the packaging in an environmentally responsible way after opening the box.

Count Blacktron
Hey, here is a novel idea too. Make it available to Australia too...
It probably will be because we don’t have the US-Specific warning labels.

Any dismay directed to Lego

The problem probably lies with the US regulators/government for requiring such prominent signage on Lego box's in addition to what is required for the rest of the world.

regards Mario
Last edited by MarioDAlessio on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

Dunechaser wrote:
MaceyWindu wrote:Yeah, I would take a box that read 7979 @#$%@&*#. Seriuosly, who cares what the box reads? You don't buy the set just to read the box.
As Tony suggested, the issue is probably largely legal (warnings, notices, etc.), and therefore much more complicated than your personal language preference.

I'm not defending the decision, but there's more to packaging than changing the words.
Yeah, I know. Like the "This toy contains small parts, Not for children under 3 yrs."
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

Ok, so this isn't in the U.S., it never will be, and Amazon.de will not ship it to the U.S.. What do we do to get this? TO EBAY!!!! I suppose, I mean... unless any of our fellow fans in Europe want to ship some copies to us... :wink:
Bear
Peasant

Post by Bear »

I just emailed this thread to Lego Customer Service. I was really looking forward to using the Calander in the Traditional sense with my sons.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

This is sad news, indeed. One can only hope that it will be available here in Australia, especially if this is just a warning label issue. I have noticed that the packaging here is more in line with European releases. Here's hoping. Both Tim Gould & I have asked LEGO what the situation is in Australia, the LA's will be sure to keep you up to date :)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This is still a bit confusing to me.

If US (and presumably Canada) warning labels are an issue, what about slapping a sticker on the front of the box? While this might be insufficient for a retail release, surely it might be feasible for a limited S@H edition. I'm disappointed but I will definitely get myself a Jester and a couple of wenches. It's too bad that LEGO doesn't want to give me a hand accomplishing it though.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

If numbers count--and I suspect that they must to some degree--then add me to the list of people in North America who would really like to be purchasing this set. I had planned to buy two, one that would be opened daily and one that I would open sometime after Christmas. I'm very disappointed to hear that it won't be released in North America, as I had been really looking forward to my first advent calendar (Lego or otherwise) in years. :(
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

preterosso wrote:
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Perhaps something can be worked out like was done with the Good Wizard?
OK, Ben: ball's in your court. You should JUST about be done with all the invoicing and shipping of the Good Wizard sets -- I'm sure you're looking for something to eat up all that free time. Let's flex some Classic-Castle muscles (or at least buying power)!
I have contacted my sources and I am waiting for their response. We can not guarantee being able to sell copies to CC members but will do my best to try.

North American LEGO Castle Marketing really needs to get their act together. They have obviously been out of touch with the products we fans want lately. Advent Calendars are a typical SAH product. Something else could have been sacrificed in its place (LEGO Castle Coin bank perhaps?). I do wonder if the Witch being included in the set did not go over well in the NA market, but that is pure speculation on my part.

If one of the goals of the LEGO Ambassador program is to increase contact with local LEGO offices, TLG needs to open discussion between fans and castle marketing. The designers are producing sets we want and the marketers are not selling them to us.

Ben
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

That is crazy. The two most anticipated sets of the decade and they're not available in the US?

I hope you can work something out.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

architect wrote:If one of the goals of the LEGO Ambassador program is to increase contact with local LEGO offices, TLG needs to open discussion between fans and castle marketing. The designers are producing sets we want and the marketers are not selling them to us.
Well said!

I'm actually going to hold off on leading any mass revolt until I hear from TLG overnight about whether it's truly too late to do anything. :wink:

I'm really glad to see so much passion about this! Personally, I was looking forward to this set a lot, and I'm happy to confirm that I'm not alone.
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I'm just not going to give tlg a pass on this one.

As my grandma used to say, where there's a will there's a way.

EDIT as i think about it, this sort of dovetails with what Tony was saying a couple posts up.
Last edited by timber_wolf899 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Domino Gloria!
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

One thing we should notice: Neither the Good Wizard or the Advent Calendar are not completely combat related, as discussed in a thread before. So, LEGO thinks kids like sets only with fighting, so they don't market them to us. Which SUCKS!! :cry:

-Muskey
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
BryanKinkel
Gong Farmer

Post by BryanKinkel »

Considering that the Advent photos have been online for a long time, I'm surprised that LEGO was not able to pick up on the fan interest in this item and make adjustments as needed.

Something along the lines of "Hmmm, looks like the CC forum is really excited about this item. :idea: Maybe we should reconsider our plans for North America and make it a catalog exclusive!"

I'm very, very disappointed that this set won't be available.

-- Bryan
knight howdy
Laborer

Post by knight howdy »

will it be availible in the netherlands or europe! :shock:
So....you think you can build with lego.