Weekly Set Review: Bandit Ambush

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Fenneke-Jose
Peasant

Post by Fenneke-Jose »

It's a pitty that the whole Dark Forest serie has not been released in the Netherlands (Except for this one, that i got from the drugsstore "Kruidvat"). It was in a sale of incourant Lego sets, that they buyed from somewhere far away. So now I am very happy, that I buyed this set! But I feel stupid for not buying more of these :cry:
It is also my only Dark Forest set. Later I discovered that it was a Dark Forest set indeed and not a Forestman set. And that was when I discovered there were also sets like 6046 and 6079. I am still trying very hard to get them, but they are so expensive on Bricklink and Ebay :(
But to return to the discussion. Very nice little set, with cool minifigures and a black speer! Also my first BURP and ladder! It is a good set to integrate with the other Forestman sets and the Wolfpack!
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Traveler wrote:
Norro wrote:Grapeshot...
Grapeshot? Those rocks are as big as a minifig's head! :)
They break up, just march some jelly beans past with a chest of coins... ; )

God Bless,

Nathan
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

If it's nithin but an ambush, why have a secret catapault. "Look! A troop of men faster than a catapault! Fire the catapault!" Yer most likely gonna run if it gets too bad.

Looks pretty good. But why is there never two swordsmen in the same set? There's always an archer or a swordsman, or a spearman and an archer or any of the variations u can think of.

LEGO has always made good "secret tree outposts" and this is no exception.

I'd give it 8/10

The light grey doesn't really go with the woodland colors very well unless you're around rock. But they do have old hoods!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

Normally I don't respond to these posts, as I probably become redundant, but this is a childhood classic. I was very young at the time this set came out, and it immediately captured my imagination. My brother owned it, but I liked it so much my parents bought another one for me. :D The minifigs are great, along with the foilage. As for the catapult, it does seem kind of useless. I used to explain the catapult like this.

Whenever someone tries to attack the forestmen, there's lots of traps awaiting them. One specific spot of forest ground is marked. The catapult is positioned so that if a soldier walks on that mark, he'll be in a spot where the catapult can knock him right in the head. If he's wearing a helmet, it'll probably just leave a mark. Without a helmet, he might become unconscious. Whichever the case, the sudden stone throw would lead to a bit of confusion for the enemy. Combine that with other traps, and the forestmen are set. On a side note, the soldiers attacking are going to be moving considerably slow, considering they can't see their enemy, and they're in unknown territory.

Even that explanation is kind of bad, but I'd like to see someone try to explain the catapult on top of a horse in KKII. :wink:

9/10 Set. Good price, pieces, and figs.
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

I was always a fan of the Forestmen, and although they weren't my favorite faction I was very dissapointed when they were phased out, especially since I was so young at the time that I wasn't able to afford very many. When '96 came round I was extremely happy that the Forestmen were back, even if they were under a different monicker. I am very glad that they didn't change the shields and make it a more drastic change. If anything, I believe that Dark Forest, although much shorter lived, were a superior faction to the Forestmen. This was the first Dark Forest set that I got and now, just like everyone else, I wish that I would have picked up more.
For $6 (that's what I payed) you got 2 figures, 4 weapons, and a shield, plus lots of other parts. Definitely worth the price. As far as playability just add a 4x4 little swivel piece and the catapult has more range. It makes a great addition to a forest/road scene before you get to the Dark Forest encampment. The design is kind of iffy, but as previously mentioned a little modding goes a long way with this set.
9/10
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

I was very unimpressed with the Forestman / Darkforest series when they forst came out. They seemed to be such a let down in design in comparrison to earlier series like the crusaders. I didn't buy a single set until I finally caved from lego deprivation when the fright knights came out.

I regret that now though... what a great source of peasants!! At the time I can remember thinking that I'll wait until a better peasant set came out after this theme concluded - but it never happened :(

In retrospect this is a great set for accessories & for the two mini figs. Sigh ... if only I could have my time again ;)
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

DARKspawn wrote:Sigh ... if only I could have my time again ;)
At least you were there. I was 6 years old when they came out, and had not yet discovered Legos. :(

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

A cheap way to get peasants, but sadly 25 dollars for new on bricklink,
not worth it... :(
9/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all
NOTE: One of the catapult uses is to attack a treasure cart!
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

This is great little set. I love that it is a dark forestman set. The set contains some cool parts, especially the forestman shield. I would buy several of these sets, just for the minifigs and shield. I must admit the other parts are very useful too.

Overall it is nice cheap set to get a couple of great minifigs for your castle theme.

Rating: 8/10
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

I bought quite a few of these when they came out and I was emerging from my 2nd Dark Age. I really liked all of the Dark Forest sets... it is a pity that they weren't available in Europe. Good for forestmen minifigs. This may sound silly, but I've wondered whether one of the minifigs was male/female. I just assumed female, b/c there are so few of those around in Lego Castle and I needed more of them. I'd give this an 8.3/10
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

This is a good set for parts. It looks like it has good playability, but the fact that it's set up all wrong kills that. I can remember purchasing it for $6, good deal!

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 5.5/10
Design (now): 6.5/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall score: 6.92/10