10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

OK... Maedhros is speechless. And that...

...doesn't happen often.

Wow, just wow.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

:shock: :shock: Now i have NEVER seen a better set but i would bet that I cannot buy it. :cry:

Edit: Thanks to wobnam i now think i can buy it.

CastleLord. :D
Last edited by CastleLord on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

...O...M...G...

I can't say enough to do justice to this set. Accessories, cows, civilian figs, tudorish style buildings, fat birds, and green leaf pieces! Not to mention the excellent price, 1601 pieces for only $100, US folks that is. That new flame piece is looking pretty sweet, though I'm not sold on the fish. How many are you guys going to buy? :lol:

-Hob Took
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

WOW!!!

Love the new town....

The troll/orc woman torso is great. I forsee a nice faction of orc female warriors.

Lego you are swell. Even my wife said the town was a must buy.... cannot wait till it is out.

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

This made my morning!

I'm going to try to tone down my excitement and rationally discuss the set, but it'll be hard.

First of all, it seems that either TLG has been listening to us or we are on the receiving end of a fortunate coincidence (i.e. TLG wanted to make this set anyway, and it happens to work out for us). Either way, I'm happy!

There is so much more than we had even hoped for here that it's hard to know where to begin.

Most obvious perhaps is the turkey! It makes m a little sad that I paid way to much for mine last year, but I am glad that more people will have access to one of the best accessories for many castle scenes. Also in the food vein are the fish, which ( I believe) are new parts. True to LEGO form, they appear to be holdable by a minifig, which is important for lots of MOC applications (smoked fish hanging from a roof, one minifig smacking another with a trout, etc.).

The next category is a nice transition from food to minifigs, as they are both. That's right, the animals! The brick built chicken and duck are pretty sweet. I'm sure they've picked up a few things from some builders around here in terms of making those! The cow is pretty darn good. It looks a little on the DUPLO side, but still nice to have. I may actually still prefer the Brickforge ones, but I bet they'll look good together.

On to the figs: I count 3 new peasant torsos(one is a repeat from the Advent Calendar, so I didn't count it), more in one set than we've had in probably the last decade (unless you count Star Wars torsos). I can't stress enough how excited about these I am. We finally have peasants to populate our kingdoms with. Some of those faces are priceless, like the poor guy who's staring at his turkey leg in dismay, like he just noticed ants all over it or something.

The buildings are also fantastic. They're just like the ones you used to see all over this website, little shops with living quarters above them. In fact, if someone had posted them here as MOCs, I wouldn't have been surprised at all. It looks like LEGO may even have borrowed some techniques from some of our builders!

There are several other pieces which I'm really excited about:

1. Plumes.

I think this set may herald the return of the plume to Castle Lego! If you look carefully at the chicken and the fire, these are new plume pieces. Hopefully this means we'll be getting knights with new plumes sometime soon!

2. Paintings.

This may actually be my favorite part of the new set. Inside the tan building are two portraits of minifigs. I like to decorate the interiors of my MOCs, and have always been frustrated by the lack of art for their walls. Hitherto we have been limited to the carpet piece as a tapestry, but now we have some great new options.

3. The tree.

Not much to say here, except it's nice to see those foliage pieces back and in significant numbers.

4. Signs.

New signs for stables and blacksmith's shops are welcome additions to our repertoire. as is the crown sign. The market price sign is perhaps a little less useful for MOCs, but still nice to have.

Well, that's my take. And let me just say that although I largely concentrated on the usefulness of the set for MOCing, in and of itself it's a great set as well. It's large and well balanced, has lots of figs and extras, and looks like a lot of fun to build.

Thanks to Steve Witt and Jan Beyer for the photos. Steve, I feel like I should send you a thank you note or something after these past few weeks!
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Lego continue to greaty exceed my initial expectations from 2008 after the greate 2007 line up with this and the advent calendar.

There are so many well considered traditional castle moc town elements to this set they even managed to include the ale barrel. I like the new minifigure torso designs and now I won’t have to buy that agents hair piece because it’s included in a castle set.

The sets use of new minifigure plumes as fire is interesting.

My minor gripe about the finished details of the two buildings vs that of the blacksmith set 3739 is overcome by the quantity of minifigure accessaries which for example easily compensates for the detailed roof capping.

I need time to digest the complexities of this set but it seems to be an appropriate successor to the 1592 Town Square - Castle Scene.

Its 3.17am Sydney time and two hours just flew bye looking at this set here and on brothers brick.

regards
Mario
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

I wonder if this will open up the doors for a civilian/village impulse set, like a peasant with a cart full of trade goods?

That would be awesome!
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

I'm lovin it. More I can't say!

regards,
jens
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

... I don't think that I have ever been more stunned by a LEGO set than today. This is by far the greatest castle set I have ever seen. Forgive me for not going more in depth with my analysis, but I am speechless.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

The best castle set ever. It's great that TLG listens to us and made this set, the only thing missing is a pitchfork :P I can't wait until January :D
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Post by Count Blacktron »

architect wrote:Image

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
:shock:

I must go find my eyes and tongue now...
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This is without a doubt the greatest Castle set ever produced. I'm utterly stunned. So many different peasant torsos :shock: !! The absolute beauty of this set cannot be ignored. The fact is, even if there wasn't another castle set in 2009, this already makes for a perfect year.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

:shock:

I really don't know what to say, except for "Thank you, TLC, for listening to us" and, "This is the best LEGO Castle has been since the early 90's. Maybe longer."
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

YES! :shock: I am so gonna get this set!
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
davestadel
punctuation patrol

10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Post by davestadel »

klrtgjkkjdfhgjo

sorry, that happened when my jaw hit the keyboard. This set is awesomely awesome. I started crying when I first saw the beautiful set :cry: