Weekly Set Review: Black Knight's Treasure

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Black Knight's Treasure

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6011 Black Knight’s Treasure.

Black Knight’s Treasure, released in 1985, was a treasure cart for the Black Falcons. It has one falcon cart driver, a horse, and accessories. This is the only set that comes with the rare light gray treasure chest.

Last edited by architect on Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Nifty little set. Of course, the gray chest is the highlight of the set (wish I had one), but the rest of the set can also stand on it's own very well. I like the saddle on the back of the cart. One thing that puzzles me a little; why use that hitch piece instead of the other, one-piece one? :?

8/10 then, 10/10 now.
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

A good design for a nice little cart. Other than the gray chest, this set is fairly so-so, not very unique. But there aren't many bad points, so 10/10.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Beautiful set! (Although I can't think of any from this ear that aren't.) It comes with a Black Falcon soldier, the famous grey chest, a horse, yellow saddle, and a good design.

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs and Accesories: 7/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 10/10
Nostalgia: 8.5/10

Overall score: 8.08/10
Last edited by Formendacil on Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I dunno. It's just too bland for me. Two wheels and a small flat bed. No personality - just an average set. I'll give it a slight boost because it includes a saddle and a different colored treasure chest, but that gives it a 6 out of 10.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

:shock: :D :lol:

I've seen that set somewhere...now where could it be....?

This is a kick-butt set! 8) A great army building and cool accessories, plus a neat fig and cheap horse. The gray chest (which I have two of) is a bonus as well.

10/10
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

10/10 i don't have it but it looks great. I do miss the days when every horse came with a sadle even if on the side like this one did
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

I have got to get one of those. NO! Ten of those!
Alan
good times
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

It's inexpensive sets with lots of good stuff like this one that I really miss.

We don't get any sets in the $2 - $3 range anymore, and even $4 sets are rare. In the past, each theme would have a couple sets for $5 or less each year.

Simple things like this just make me sad, because it shows how bad TLC has gotten.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

I know what you mean man, I wish LEGO went back to these. Very nice set.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I have one of these sets and I like it. The treasure chest was nice and another Falcon fig is always welcome. I give it a 7/10 then and an 8.5/10 now. The cart itself was lacking a bit of that "Wow!" factor.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmm...kool little set, but nothing(other than the chest) that makes me go "hey, wow!". So I'd give it a 6.5/10 because it really isn't that great; it's just that Lego doesn't make stuff even THIS good anymore. It's still a nice little army builder, though.

Cm2
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

A very simple set -- too simple? no, just simple enought to be a small cart.
I agree with TwoTonic Knight and Porschecm2, but I think a medieval town must have small sets: small carts, small buildings, etc. as in reality!

But something strange/wrong: only one soldier to protect a treasure?!!
Then, I don't like the off-centring of the saddle (but it is a good idea providing a saddle for children who have none).
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

This is a good set. Not a bad, but not the best.
The look is simple. The gray chest is interesting, because of it's rarity. I like the inclusion of a yellow in the set. It's not usual color with black falcon, but it's interesting.

This set could not be a legend. I think it's a great small and simple set. It's a cool set, also, because it's a treasure transport.

The only problem is that a single knight can't defend very well a treasure. I would not travel in the forestmen wood if I were him. :lol:

I give him a good note: 8.5/10
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I never understood this set. I had it as a kid (my first cart) but without the gray chest and it's got nothing intresting about it. When 6023 came out and had the new brown chest, we actually liked the brown chest more (now we know that there was only 1 gray chest while 10,000 brown ones).
Beside the chest it's got another unique brick, a yellow 'horse hitching with hinge'.

As a cart I don't like it, carts like 6023 or 6022 are much better.
I'll give it 8/10 only for the 2 unique parts.