Weekly Set Review: Black Falcon's Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Like all oldies, it rocks compared to jellybeans or scrapheap building KK1 knights. Ive never really liked the size of castle structures (they are afterall unrealistically small) but who cares, as long as the pieces are good. :wink:

Yellow tudor wall, I got two of those pieces and I wish I had bought it when it was available. More falcies would also be nice. 6 figs! I actually like the red feather guy, only because you are a blackfalcon you doesnt need to follow strict instructions of fashion! Grilled helms... Yummy. Want more of those(not historically correct, but awesome for low-rank knights)...

5/5. There is a good darn reason that it was rereleased- and its gray! Not evilish!

Not too keen on revived threads for some reason... :P
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

How fitting. I just got this set for the first time and put it together last night.

Fantastic set. If I could only buy ONE Lego set for the rest of my life, it would probably be this one. The amount of pieces and the type is outstanding and very useful. Plenty of grey bricks and plates, corner pieces, wall pieces, roof tiles, arches, and I love the tudor wall element.

So far there are very few "big" sets that I bought multiples of. I am planning on buying several of these. The pieces will definately go a long way in my quest to build my first large MOC castle... and I even hope to keep one BFF standing just because I like it so much.

10 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Thrall1138
Freeman

Post by Thrall1138 »

I had gotten this set recently and love it, has a lot of good pieces and is fun to play with to!
4/5
My Brickshelf Gallery: [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thrall1138[/url]
Templar Jesse
Gong Farmer

black falcon fortress

Post by Templar Jesse »

I got this set for the first time last christmas from my girlfriend!!!!

l give it a 10/10
"God Wills It"
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Re: Weekly Set Review: Black Falcon's Fortress

Post by MarioDAlessio »

architect wrote:15 IX 03

In 2003, the set was produced again as a “Legend” and is available from Shop at Home for $39.99.

Id like to see this re-released again with the current 2008 world exchange rates.

US$39.99 by the time I paid for postage etc to SAH it was more like $75.00 US for me last time to purchase this from LEGO. I was unable to locate the set in any stores in Australia.

This little castle packs a very large punch, I would rate this set on a piece by piece comparison as the best castle set of all time, there are no undesirable pieces in this set for me. (Exception is the juniorised yellow Tudor castle wall piece I prefer brick and plate built Tudor).

It has for me the right combination of walls/plates and roof slopes, and all are in the desirable colours unlike black walls for 6086 Black Knight's Castle and 10176 Royal King's Castle.

I’m sorry this set predated horse barding and unique castle minifigure head design but this is easily made up for by having a two horse to 6 minifigure ratio and knights with plumes ect ect.

In 1986 with 6041 Armour Shop and 6067 Guarded Inn this was part of a great castle line up, then in 2002 with 3739 Blacksmith Shop instead of 6041 Armour Shop it was part of what I consider the ultimate 3 set castle line up.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=K10039-1

Mario
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Yep one of the best castles ever made by TLC. I'd love it to be rereleased as well. The current price you see these going for can be startling.

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
WARork
Apprentice

Post by WARork »

if rereleased i would almost by it just for archers :)
Umm, later. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=WARork it's it's.. full of junk!:D

''mah orcs are owks!''
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

A good set, and at its price probably a good deal for the figs, but I don't have it, alas.
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I was lucky enough to have purchased this set when it came out. Should have bought many copies, but only had the money for one. It is one of my all time faves along with the King's Castle released around that time. Can't say enough about this set, wish that the new Crown Knights had something similar.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Grabbed this set when I came out of my dark age last fall. What an incredible fortress. The old grey... drool. The gate towers are absolutely perfect. Six figs and 4 black falcons! :shock: I would buy 10 if it was released again. That is no exageration. This set is an incredible value.
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Now, this is probably my most favorite set of all times. I sadly do not own a copy but I will sure be on the lookout for it on legoworld this autumn. the set's design and parts are great.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

An excellent set. The high fig ratio makes it worth every penny. The simple design of this set makes it attractive to the eye and realistic without being too busy and filled with unnecessary contraptions. I hope to one day get my hands on this true LEGO castle legend.
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

Simple, effective, and classic!

This is one of the greatest castle sets from the 80s if not the greatest set. I originally only had pieces of this one plus some of the mini figs and when the Legends set came out I bought it. I actually used it as my Groom's Cake decoration at my wedding.

My only complaint was the lack of sheilds.

A definite classic![/img]
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

Mods please delete. I double posted
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Wolfpacker
Serf

Post by Wolfpacker »

What I really like about the castle is its simplicity. The BFs always seemed more no-nonsense than the crusaders and such, and so, for me, the castle works quite well on its own. But the main reason the simplicity impresses me is because, with a few flag and colour changes, this castle makes a quick, easy stronghold for any faction. The modularity is gravy, and the clincher is the amount of pieces and minifigs for its original retail price. Definetely a must-have, particularly if you can get more than one. :twisted:
Last edited by Wolfpacker on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build, therefore I am. If I build nothing, AM I nothing?