12%
I like some things, and dislike other things
80%

Total votes: 49

jamitjames
Gentleman

Why does every one hate KK?

Post by jamitjames »

Why does every one hate KK? I like them alot, the helmets are nice on good and bad guys, the torsos on the good guys are amazing. Now the bad stuff :P, I don't like how every one has name, King Leo's torso is not nice:?, buy ither then that I think they rock, what about you?
Last edited by jamitjames on Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I just think everyone's angry that LEGO didn't bring back the quality of Lego castle of the "Good old days" of black falcons and stuff, which KK2 in no replacement for. But, given the 2 years we had to suffer through with absolutely no castle, I'm happy with what we've gotten. :wink:
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I like some things about them, but dislike others.
I like the colored Euro armor, the new chanfrons and bardings. I like the head designs as well.
I don't like the visors (though I've yet to see one in person... I suppose I haven't really given them a chance). I hate the set design, which, when combined with the new colors, makes the sets almost completely unusable. I hate that we don't have a source for generic figures for army building purposes (more than one in a set). I hate the new swords.
I didn't like KK1 very much either, but it definitely had nicer figs and accessories.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Some things are good: its Castle again, it has parts, it isn't just at S@H, etc.

But there are many problems: new grey, ridiculous colours for weapons and armour, poor set design and BIG parts instead of small blocks, the new swords, the new visors, etc.

:?
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I like them. They are quite useful, every single piece. Their armors are great on several of my Ancients armies, even their swords have uses. Im using them as Korean Hwarang's dual swords, and as Chinese straight blade swords.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Commander Redbeard wrote:But, given the 2 years we had to suffer through with absolutely no castle, I'm happy with what we've gotten. :wink:
But during those two years with no Castle, we were given some of the best castle sets in a long time. BFF, GI, Blacksmith's ship, Castle Accessories pack...

Now that there are retail castle sets available, the odds of us getting good S@H castle exclusives is lower.

==================================

Anyway, KK2 is missing all of the following things:

Good set design
Generic soldiers for army building
Female minifigs
Peasant / commoner minifigs
Shops
Carts
Doors
Modularity
Archers
Believable Coat of Arms / Heraldry
Good price points
Normal swords
Regular sized visors
A joust set where the knights aren't on wheels

Even worse, it is not possible for TLC to make a useful minifig pack from the KK2 stuff. What would a KK2 minifig pack contain? The 5 knights and maybe the king? Uh, we'll already have all that if we buy the sets.

Also, what if they make an accessory pack? Who wants to buy a pack full of those awful swords and visors? Granted, the pack will still sell if it contains the armor... but still.

==================================

However, KK2 does provide some good things:
Nice horse headwear.
The new armors are cool, but only the black one is useful in really large quantities.
The faces are pretty good in general, except for Vladek. However, I think the faces are a bit over detailed (chin shape, etc) and I think the faces of the early 90s were better.
Retail castle sets, no matter how bad, are better than nothing.
Lots of good parts in some of the sets, despite them being new grey.
I think the wizard fig is decent.

=================================

What would would salvage the KK2 line?

Future sets containing regular soldiers bearing the coats of arms of the king, and each of the four good guy knights, so the king and knights could lead their men into battle.

A minifig pack containing six soldiers, each bearing a different coat of arms. (the four knights, vladek, and the king's emblems)

Some civilian sets, at least a shop and a cart next year, and maybe another shop and cart the following year if KK2 is still going.

Unfortunately, due to the action - character - story themes of KK2, I doubt any of that stuff will ever happen.

Anyway, I will buy at least some KK2 stuff, but less than I would like due to the high prices and the fact that most of the new parts are really bad. (Swords and visors... yuck) Not only that, but the sets have very few of the classic equipment parts that I would rather see.

I will probably get at least two of each of the two smaller sets, and I would also like to get Citadel of Orlan.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Because they look like powerangers!
Alan
good times
Darth Duck
Villein

Post by Darth Duck »

There are some things I like, the new shield design, Vladeks armour, the Shadow Knight dude.

My biggest problem: okay, we've just come of a multi-year Lord of the Rings craze, LotR was big, epic. LEGO should've tried to make something big and epic, instead we get the Knights of the Teletubbies.
A man walks into a bar....

OUCH!
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Who is editing my post? It is not about KK2 :x :x It is about the first line, you know the one with the bulls.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

jamitjames wrote:Who is editing my post? It is not about KK2 :x :x It is about the first line, you know the one with the bulls.
People probably assumed that you meant KK2, since that is the topic that people are talking about these days.

Anyway, if we're talking about KK1, it has much better minifigs than KK2, but the set designs are more juniorized. *shrug* Can't have anything be perfect I guess.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Oh, KK1.

I like it a lot better. The good guys with the kettlehelms were nice and the bulls had good torsos.
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

They look like power rangers and i only like the armour and building parts ,but i would paint the armour grey.
BlackRavenLord
Gong Farmer

Post by BlackRavenLord »

Darth Duck wrote: My biggest problem: okay, we've just come of a multi-year Lord of the Rings craze, LotR was big, epic. LEGO should've tried to make something big and epic, instead we get the Knights of the Teletubbies.
^agreed

I guess I'm in the dark about the KK2s or whatever you call them. I saw some new lego Castle Sets online, and yeah they looked half cool and half like power rangers in the medieval times. That must be what you're talking about. I think half of the reason why we like the old Castles best is (because) of the memories that are attached to them. The other reason why we like them best is because... they were simply cooler and more realistic. I like the realistic things that you can use to make your own Kingdom, with Blacksmith's Shops, Inns, Castles, Towers, Houses, Bridges, Wagons, Carts, etc. I also agree with the LOTR thing. That's what got me here. I was looking online for LOTR Lego creations last night and I got back into building castles and stuff and one thing led to the next and yeah...
Plus, LOTR beats Harry Potter hands down. I'm not Anti HP, but LOTR is the real deal yo.
-=Ex Noctis Amor=-
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

There were some great parts and minfigs in the KKI line, but it had several flaws. The majority of the sets were heavily juniorized and almost felt like you were building a Jack Stone set with all the large pieces. King Leo was used too often and the Castle and Bull's Attack were sadly lacking in minifigs. Of course the new KKII line has that flaw in spades as well. I was online when the old KKI line was announced and it was supposed to be a return to the modular sets of old and it really failed to capture the modularity of old and disappointed a lot of fans. For some people, the flaws in the KKI line were so great that it was hard to get past the flaws to find the good.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

jamitjames wrote:Who is editing my post? It is not about KK2 :x :x It is about the first line, you know the one with the bulls.
My apologies... I must have misread your post.
Well, my vote remains the same (even if I knew how to change it).
The minifigs in KK1 were great, if you ask me. I even liked Leo, even though he was a little too plentiful. I liked the Bulls' head designs, even though everybody else hated them. I liked the number of small army building sets that were released, such as the chrome accessory sets, the bagged set, and the little Bulls set. I loved the accessories... every from the aforementioned chrome ones, to the old dragon helmets, to the new kettle helms.
As with KK2, set design is a major detriment to this line. They added a lot of useful pieces to my collection, but those pieces by themselves could not be used for any decent alternative models. I didn't like the Bulls' logo. I didn't like that there were no peasants or shops or anything that you might find in a medieval village.
I think that's it...