12%
I like some things, and dislike other things
80%

Total votes: 49

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

To JamitJames,

I edited your post. When creating polls you need to specifically say what you are polling about. Please read the poll posting procedures that are in this forum's rules. By not saying only Knight's Kingdom one, you left it open to interpretation to people to post about kk1, kk2 or both. Both of these lines have a King Leo. And for a future reference, only admins can edit user posts and we reserve the right to do so to clarify posts or to remove inappropriate content.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

There is much room between "to hate something" and "not exactly love it". I do not exactly love Knights' Kingdom (2000) but I wouldn't go so far to say I hate it.

I simply missed in the KK1 sets what I had loved before in the sets from the Golden Age: King Leo's Castle is a weak construction, they put together some large parts, there are not two parts in the same colour that touch each other (that's btw the main characteristic of the "Juniorisation"), it does not even have a rear wall but just a piece of cloth (which may have its benefits but is not appropriate for a castle wall), the focus on "Playability and functions" is clearly displaced from "working drawbridge and portcullis" to "some weird cannon that shoots the towers away" which is just ridiculous. Also I dislike the level of personalisation (does this word exist? And if so, does it mean what I have in mind? ;) ) of the minifigs, there are only few characters, they are distinctively parted in "good" and "evil" what kills the whole imagination.

Well, the minifigs are nicely done, though, so this is a plus. I even love the queen... And the sets come with at least a few nice parts that are useful for reasonable building.
However, the KK1 sets simply don't stand the comparision with former lines.
But now... *sigh* KK1 seems so much better than those new KK2 sets...

Bye
Jojo

JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Oh... you meant KK1! LOL! woops...

Anyhow I love those minifigs. They are so well designed I had to split each type into different Ancient factions.

BTW, I made some radical changes on my armies so my BrickShelf pics depicting what faction is what is a bit out of date.....
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

*Smashes head into computer screen!*

You meant KK ONE! That's completely different. I don't hate the theme at all. Okay, set design wouldn't work for a pigsty, but the figs are the BEST. Lots of really useful parts, lots of greay pieces, all that Bull stuff. Other than design and King Leo torsos, what's not to like? :D
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

I only have the 8777 Vladek Encounter set, so my response is only based on that set.

It is overpriced for its play value. I will not be getting any more of these until I can get them at clearance prices.
I don't think these will move unless they are massively reduced.

As far as the theme goes. I think having more "named" knights are cute but they are annoying (as far as their colors go) and there are no generic soldiers on the good side to help out poor King Matthias.

Most of the sets are designed pretty decent, so I'm not complaining about that...except the Tournament set, which I felt it was might be good for younger audience but not so appealing to most of the rest of us.

The knights lack holes in their helmets for plumes, which
sucks in my book. Their swords are nice size and shape but I don't quite agree that they each should have a different color sword.

I also don't really like the new shields. I would have preferred the old Oval Oblong ones... those would have been a nice touch. I like the use of Euro armor on most knights in the set (except the pesky green one in the
Citadel set, which has been mentioned elsewhere) ;)

anyways...I think I've said enough about these sets
for now.

Benjamin Medinets
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I think KK1 is great by itself. It just doesn't mix well with other factions.
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

My Likes:

- Colored armor and in different shapes, i think that's actually more realistic than all the gray stuff
- The size of the castle (1992's castle was great but i bit small in surface)
- The concept of taking over a castle and converting colors (instead of just tearing it down :P )

My Dislikes:

- Overdone minifig facial features :evil:
- Stylized logos and weaponry (the swords are kinda sci-fi :shock: )
- Castle looks very basic, not as detailed as they used to be :cry:
- Castle has battlements for ballistic assaults whilst there are no archers but instead knights with swords jumping out of the tower to meet their doom :?
- Lack of archers and other minifigs :cry:
Whatever you do, don't.
Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

The guy, who designed this KK2 stuff, deserves to be fired!
I will not buy a single piece of these [edited by admin]. Hope LEGO will stop this series soon!
Darth Duck
Villein

Post by Darth Duck »

Ooooh, KK ONE! Oh, well in that case, Jojo's second paragraph spoke a lot of my mind.
A man walks into a bar....

OUCH!
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I liked the design of the KK1 figs, but the sets were ugly!! What was also nice was the idea of a seige set with the bulls. Many of the parts (except for the giant arch) seemed useful, but I still dodn't like the sets.

-The Josh
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I think it can be summed up in three reasons:

1. New Grey, makes them not very good to get pieces from

2. Power Rangers, not much use for a sky blue or purple knight

3. They are not the Castle of the good ole days of yore.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Athos wrote: 2. Power Rangers, not much use for a sky blue or purple knight
Though i don't like the new castle stuff, i think the the colored armor is definitely a plus. Why does everyone dislike that so much? I mean yeah, for kids the sky blue one maybe a bit too gay to "be" when playing, but for us it's great to equip our mocs with coloured knights rather than the plain grey ones. I think it's more realistic as well... If they paint shield designs and have plumes, why wearing gray armor :|
Whatever you do, don't.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Give me a few months guys and I'll show you how those colorful Knights can be used. No, I won't brasso any one of them, I'll use them as is, and you'll see that they CAN be useful as they are.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Let me guess, JPinoy's Ancients theme will be growing? Again? Does he ever intend to stop? (okay, dumb question) :D
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Formendacil wrote:Let me guess, JPinoy's Ancients theme will be growing? Again? Does he ever intend to stop? (okay, dumb question) :D
Actually Im planing on making a small theme of "Historical Warriors" show casing soldiers from different parts of the world and different timelines (but all pre-firearms or early fire arms era).

Some of the colorful armors would go quite well on historical Russian, Saracen, Indian, Chinese and etc. soldier types. But these figs are only goiong to be 1 of each, Im not planning on making massive armies of historic battle uniforms/armor. That'd be extremely expensive and I already have that military theme too feed $$$ and bricks on aside from the ancients.

And yes, my Ancients armies are always growing and Im gonna use those armors and weapons on my ancient soldiers too.