Jehkar's Review of KK2 sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jehkar
Peasant

Jehkar's Review of KK2 sets

Post by Jehkar »

Note: I didn't see a thread where I could review the KK2 sets, so I am starting this. Mods-lock this if there is a review thread.
Also, post your reviews of KK2 sets.

Today, I got the Castle Morcia, Border Ambush and 2 Vladek Encounters for my birthday.

Vladeks Encounter: Its a nice little set. The new horse helm is cool, but kind of big. It does have the grips for the horns, which is good. The color for that is a dark red, and I like the it. The catapult is simple. Little board on hinges. Vladek is awesome. His helm is one of the best, and the armor is amazing, especially with the insignia on it. The purple guy...eh. The visor is cool, and his sheild has a good design. I am going to buy some Dark Grey paint to paint the visor, and I'll Brasso the design off the armor, and paint that.
Score: 8/10. It would be a 9 if it came with the Green Knight.

Border Ambush I like this set alot. The little alcove with the key is built like a little outpost, and has a trap door on it. The bridge is cool-2 green rope vines. Always good to have. The Shadow Knight is the BEST figure in KK2, IMO. The helmet is great, his torso is well designed, and his face is cool. I like the red knight. I am not going to paint him.
Score: 9/10

I haven't built Castle of Morcia yet. (to busy swimming). Ill build it later, and post its review later.
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

Happy Birthday.

I enjoyed putting together the Vladek Encounter set I got today...what I didn't enjoy is paying full retail at $14 Canadian. Its the worst price for a small set I've ever seen.

I won't be buying any more Vladek Encounter sets until they hit the Clearance Rack.

Ben Medinets
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

That seems high. S@H has them listed at $11.99 CDN. Still high, but a little more worthwhile. I'll wait for clearances regardless, this looks like a 7.99 CDN set to me so until I see it at that price, it can rot on the shelf. :D BTW S@H is now in Canadian dollars for Canadian buyers.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I can't review any sets not owning any, but I have come around to the point where I'm over the anger caused by the defects, and am looking forward to the benefits. (ie. armour!)

You sound pleased with what you got though. Although the prices (at least for Vladek Encounter) seem a little exorbitant.
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

wlister wrote:BTW S@H is now in Canadian dollars for Canadian buyers.
Finally!!! Hopefully the print catalogs as well. :)

As for these sets, I likely will not get them until clearance time. I spent a lot of money on some much better pieces on a bulk BL sale. :)
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

I hope so as well.

Though the Canadian catalogues seem to only be published twice a year.

I had forgotten this. I might get a couple more from Shop@Home directly. I got the Vladek at Toys R US, that might account for the over-inflated price... slight stupid embarassment.

Ben Medinets
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Funny. Out here, Toys R Us has the normal price - it's Sears that has a slight markup on some sets (most notably the $14.99 CAD SW sets from 2002-2003)...

I think I normally get 3 a year. Can't remember, though.
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

Sorry for posting this a little late, I've been busy.

Review of Castle of Morcia:
Mini-Figs: The number of figs it comes with is good. The Shadow Knight is the best out of them. Vladek is good for his armor and helmet. Rascus is great for a Gawain (sp?). Santis (red) is ok, his helmet is a little big. Danju (purple) is horrible. Same with Jayko (baby blue) Ill Brasso and paint the armor and helmets. Jayko's visor is great, but a little big. King Mathias is the 2nd best. His torso is deatailed, and the insignia is cool. His face looks a little lik the Purple knights though.

Tye scorpion catapult is stupid.

Castle:
Its built in sections. But, each of the sections lie on tiles, so they come up easily. I got rid of them, and put them down on the studs.
The front gate is ok, but its not attached to the baseplate. And there is a gap from the bottom of the baseplate to the entrance from the castle. It isn't appealing to look at.
The little turrets in the back are cool. One of them is a little prison cell, and the other has 2 swords and a skeleton on a revolving wall.
The front ones are simple. One has a catapult, where you pull a brown chain, and it flings the rock. The other one is just a little look out.
The castle can change from the Lions to the Scorpion with turns of columns. Not to exciting.

The castle is better than King Leo's, but it doesn't compare with the older ones.
Score: 7/10
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Interesting. I wouldn't Brasso the figs, though. They're pretty valuable right baout now, especially the ones that only come in big sets like that one.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

As for The Guardian, I've been thinking of using that guy's torso for either a leader fig as well as for the Mongol Elite Warriors.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
the_Rascal_King
Laborer

Post by the_Rascal_King »

What about the grey inset wall elements with windows? Is it all one POOP peice, or is it several peices?
::crosses fingers::
please not POOP, please not POOP, please not POOP!
-Jason
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... alKing1083]the Rascal King[/url]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

the_Rascal_King wrote:What about the grey inset wall elements with windows? Is it all one POOP peice, or is it several peices?
I'm going to deviate a little from the topic at hand for a moment, which I apologize for... but what does POOP stand for?
These abbreviations make me so confused! I'd figured out on my own what I thought a BURP was, and then one day I realized that all of my BURPs were actually LURPs. Oh God, what's going on?
the_Rascal_King
Laborer

Post by the_Rascal_King »

doctorsparkles wrote:
the_Rascal_King wrote:What about the grey inset wall elements with windows? Is it all one POOP peice, or is it several peices?
I'm going to deviate a little from the topic at hand for a moment, which I apologize for... but what does POOP stand for?
These abbreviations make me so confused! I'd figured out on my own what I thought a BURP was, and then one day I realized that all of my BURPs were actually LURPs. Oh God, what's going on?
Hehehe.
The acronyms are my favorite gem of the AFOL community.
While I can't find the official explanation post, here's a semi-recent post explaining the acronym:

http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=732

"POOP:Plainly a Once Only Piece."

Another popular one you may have encountered is SNOT or Stud Not On Top.
There's a bunch more, but I'm too tired to find them all :)
-Jason
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... alKing1083]the Rascal King[/url]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Thank you. I was aware of the SNOT term, but new abbreviations seem to pop up everyday.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

doctorsparkles wrote:

I always get BURPs and LURPs confused. I know they stand for Big Ugly Rock Pile and Large Ugly Rock Pile, but I forget which one is the rectangular one, and which is the more triangular one.

I generally just call them both BURPs.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]