Provincial Castles for Knights Kingdom 2...

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I don't know about castle sets but the boxes of my larger pirate sets all have stories that explain the history of the particular set.
LEGOLAND castle sets had brief descriptions in the catalogs but not on boxes. Boxes usually said something about making alternate sets, using your own creativity, etc.

As a child, you knew some storylines by just seeing the catalog pictures. Forestmen invading in large quantities, etc. I dislike the heavily tailored storyline but kids seem to like it. Lego just recently announced that there will be Knight's Kingdom books in spring 05. This isnt such a bad idea in my opinion since reading is good.

As an administrative note: This topic should not be used for 80's storyline speculation. Those types of posts belong in the stories forum.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
The Wolfpack Boss
Freeman

Whoops!

Post by The Wolfpack Boss »

Haha, wow ... I got misinterpreted.

I was just talking about how easy it's going to be for me, personally, to use all the 80's and 90's Lego factions to fill-in-the-blanks and go along with this new set of stories. As far as I know there's no REAL backstory connection between them, but in my LEGO-loving head there is.

That's the great thing about LEGOs, anything is possible, and even the stories they do give us (the relatively few) to go along with the current figures work with the entire rest of the theme, if we want them to.

So while there's not really any connections (except maybe the similarity of shield emblem animals) ... the open-endedness of the new series is what I'm saying is great ... just like the open-endedness of all the Legoland sets ...

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. It's absolutely true, KK2 has more backstory than any other line ... all they ever had each maybe was a paragraph a year or less, and whatever description went with each set (or if anyone's ever read the comics in LEGO-Mania magazine).

On another note though, I would like to see all the castle text collected somewhere.

Imagination aside, I always did like working in the context of the existing factions. The imagination was left for sort of "Hero" characters (or villains).

Well ... that's that I suppose.
Harbourmaster's Office
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4033675 ... 8cb1_t.jpg[/img]
(More at Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8273684@N02/4033675910/[/url])
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

architect wrote: LEGOLAND castle sets had brief descriptions in the catalogs but not on boxes. Boxes usually said something about making alternate sets, using your own creativity, etc.
Some sets had a few tidbits about the subtheme on the boxes, but I'm not sure about Castle sets in particular. I know I recently looked back through my Ice Planet sets from '93, which had a little blurb about how they conducted secret satellite research on the planet "Krysto". Not much, of course, but an odd tidbit. I'd kinda doubt anything from the 80's had anything about the storylines themselves, but by the early 90's, they started actually specifying pieces of the already-implied story. By then the factions each were starting to take on specific personalities, rather than the generic Falcons and Lions of 1984-85. I seem to remember text in the 90's catalogs characterizing Wolfpack, Black Knights, and Dragon Masters. Hardly worth calling them stories, though...

BTW-- Out of curiosity, was the falcon faction ever officially referred to as "Black Falcons"? I mean, I know that's the name of the BFF, but was it intended to mean "This guy's fortress, who's called the Black Falcon" or "The Black Falcons' Fortress"? Was it ever actually used to designate the faction as a whole? Perhaps in some catalog or whatnot?

(Aside) Here's a cute little tidbit from a 1992 catalog:
http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/cat ... us-03.html

Does anyone know if KK1 had any more storyline that was seen in set descriptions and S@H catalogs? Anyone recall anything online that Lego might have had?

DaveE
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

davee123 wrote:Does anyone know if KK1 had any more storyline that was seen in set descriptions and S@H catalogs? Anyone recall anything online that Lego might have had?
I don't know if this would count as official, but Dorling Kindersley published a Beginner Reader series of books about Lego in 2000, and one was a KK1 book. (No, I've never read it.) Also, the Lego Magazine and the printed catalogues contained tidbits of info (ask someone other than me, I never really paid attention: made up my own ideas). Also, KK1 had a computer game that probably had stuff (I dunno for sure, I never played it, or watched it get played.)
cactus_master
Serf

Provincial Castles for Knights Kingdom 2...

Post by cactus_master »

i always liked the idea of making up my own plots. once i decimate my expensive new lego sets i build some crappy villages or castles. then i screw around with the characters until they have the bodies i like and make a storyline filled with action (and violence :D). my latest one has divided a large country into 5 parts. one part is filled with knights, one with mages, one with rogues, one with monks, and one with high-tech people. i wont bore u with the details.
person 1:*whisper whisper*
person 2:*whisper whisper*
person 3:*whisper whisper*
person 4: HOW DO YOU WHISPER!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hmm, look at that, they have a background-story this time!

I too love the stories, but I would rather make them up my self. Although it's nice to have some directions.

A kingdom without provincial lords can not be, at least not in the middle ages;)

But I dont like the idea of six heroes (+ the king) who defeats all bad things with their gigantic swords and shining color armour. le't hope for inprovement, and genious MOC-builders who can put this straight.
I'm back, and so is Castle!