Dwarf Battle Pack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Aculon
Freeman

Re: Dwarf Battle Pack

Post by Aculon »

Crazylegoman wrote:
Aculon wrote:15/5=3....basically, $3 a fig....ouch. Doesn't that strike anyone else as ridiculous?
Just think too...that's the same price ($15) as a large PAB...
Heck no! Minifigs are one of the most expensive things in a set. (They have printing, they have to be assembled, etc.) The battle packs are basically just minifigs, so that's why it has a higher price-per-piece ratio. These MF's looked like they're decked out too. They all have weapons, and there are a few other accessories with them. Someone pointed out earlier that buying them on Bricklink would be more expensive than buying them in the battle pack. This is very true, and adding the accessories would up the BL price even more.

Ridiculous? only if you don't buy it. :wink:

David
There have been (forgive me if I've pointed this out earlier) SW battle packs with 4 figs (with printing :wink: ), some weapons, and a construction element all for $10. (The droid ones had much more figs...a testament that the skeleton pack at least should have either had more figs or been cheaper.) Seriously, couldn't they take out the construction element, add another fig and some more accessories and keep the price $10? :wink:
For me, it's one extra fig and more accessories vs. a construction element and a $5 (50% of the SW packs, 33% of the Castle packs) cheaper price tag.

After writing that^ I realized it was pointed out...but oh well...I gave an elaboration I suppose.
puddleglum wrote:
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:The $10 for more in a Star Wars Battlepack to the $15 for a castle one seems 'off' to me regardless.
I still agree. But the situation is still substantially better now than it was a month ago when these weren't for sale. And for that I'm glad!
Yes, very "off." But you do have a great point puddleglum (or perhaps many of you for that matter), the situation is "substantially better" indeed.

And (as someone mentioned) they are assembled, but where at anyway? China? It shouldn't cost them that much I should think...but oh well.

@David
The price is still ridiculous ( :wink:), but I may buy one anyway.

So yes, I guess this pack is still good news. :)

EDIT:
Garbageman13 wrote:
Aculon wrote:15/5=3....basically, $3 a fig....ouch. Doesn't that strike anyone else as ridiculus?
Just think too...that's the same price ($15) as a large PAB...
I remember you were always reminding me about that when I was considering buying the Crownie battlepack. That was annoying, but it payed off since I never ended up buying one. [Smiley removed by Aculon to stay under smiley limit.]

God Bless.

-Garbageman13
Haha!

God bless you all!
-Aculon
-Aculon
"It's risky, but I get my laughs."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/37295785@N03/]~El Flickr De Aculon~[/url]
[url=http://brickblogs.stingclan.com/brickniques/index.php][img]http://stingclan.com/BrickniquesWhite.PNG[/img][/url]
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Aculon wrote:There have been (forgive me if I've pointed this out earlier) SW battle packs with 4 figs (with printing :wink: ), some weapons, and a construction element all for $10. (The droid ones had much more figs...a testament that the skeleton pack at least should have either had more figs or been cheaper.)
Very true. The troll packs seem to have more printing due to the shields. I've heard that adding printing adds a decent amount to the cost of producing elements. (Has anyone heard if printing on flat surfaces [like the troll shields] is cheaper for LEGO to do than printing on curved surfaces [like MF arms/clone helmets]?) I would tend to think that the speckle colors in the troll helmets would also be more expensive to make than regular colors. Even with these differences, I do think that LEGO makes a better profit on the troll packs than what they make on the SW battle packs. :tasty:

I've always thought of the SW battle packs as something cheap/low-profit to attract customers and get them hooked on SW, since the SW packs are common in many retail stores. The troll battle packs seem more like a product that LEGO made because they knew we really wanted it, and they only have it in LEGO stores and online. Since they knew we really wanted it, they know that many of us would pay a nice price for it (nice for them anyway). Although my wallet may disagree, I am one of those people who wanted the troll pack, so I'll be buying a couple. :orc: (I'm not mad, but that emoticon just seemed so fitting at the end of a post about trolls.)

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
shmitty
Serf

Post by shmitty »

xD didnt notice this thread but anywho.....

ALL THE TROLL BATTLEPACKS WILL BE MINE ! :P jk jk but im super excited about the fact that the battle packs come with 3orc shields :twisted: battle axes and a torch personally (though) the torches look like horse turd to me xD quite glad lego finally made the troll and dwarf battle packs its about time lego but im pretty sure these battlepacks will be help replenish the orc and dwarf population as we await the arrival of the elves(i hope..) !

Good Job Lego!
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

shmitty wrote:im pretty sure these battlepacks will be help replenish the orc and dwarf population as we await the arrival of the elves(i hope..) !
I hate to burst your bubble, but Steve Witt told us at the Q&A session at Brickworld that we're not getting elves. All the elf speculation stemmed from that drawing in the Brickmaster magazine. Steve said that the artist put it in there because he had a blank spot and needed to fill it with something.

BUT...don't lose heart! We can make elves just fine on our own. :)

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

If I had known that these were coming out, I would have waited and bought 4 of them instead of buying the Dwarves' Mine. Sweet set!

Chris
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

Post by Albatross_Viking »

Wow, now we just gonna wait for them to get out in other countries!
Finally, a dwarven battlepacks. And not only with red beards! looks amasing.

A_V
Lenfel Militia & Minister of Information Distribution
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... ald_fl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/friskywhi ... banner.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56213339@N07/]FlickR[/url]
Seikfreid
Journeyman

Post by Seikfreid »

Everyone, I just got one of these in and it is SWEET! The dwarves are definitely worth the price, (as well as the troll pack, by the way) as they all have beards, viking or castle torsos, and are just really awesome.
domboy
Freeman

Post by domboy »

Crazylegoman wrote:
shmitty wrote:im pretty sure these battlepacks will be help replenish the orc and dwarf population as we await the arrival of the elves(i hope..) !
I hate to burst your bubble, but Steve Witt told us at the Q&A session at Brickworld that we're not getting elves. All the elf speculation stemmed from that drawing in the Brickmaster magazine. Steve said that the artist put it in there because he had a blank spot and needed to fill it with something.

BUT...don't lose heart! We can make elves just fine on our own. :)

David
I couldn't find any other recent discussion about Elves in any unlocked threads, so I figured I'd posted it here. I'm wondering if the following picture my brother found could be real:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3800276

My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere previously. I figure just because it's been stated the Elves are not coming doesn't mean Lego can't change it's mind...
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Where I'd be very pleased if these were real my guess is no. The box art on the sides matches already released sets, the top right appears to be the dwarf mine. Looks like someone’s attempt to show some ideas for elf sets, some being quite interesting.

Nice stuff though.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
domboy
Freeman

Post by domboy »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Where I'd be very pleased if these were real my guess is no. The box art on the sides matches already released sets, the top right appears to be the dwarf mine. Looks like someone’s attempt to show some ideas for elf sets, some being quite interesting.

Nice stuff though.

Heir
Holy cow, you're right. I hadn't even noticed the side of the boxes! Bummer. Oh well, thanks! Now I'm glad I didn't start a new thread like I was thinking about doing...
maniac29
Peasant

Post by maniac29 »

I would buy the dwarf pack IF it was $10. Lego we do not need assembled minifigs which raise the prices!
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

I just got mine in today, and am quite pleased with it - there are just two (minor) things about it that bugged me. First, the two dwarves with brown beards had them inexplicably backwards, and secondly . . . the packaging says, "Dwarfs". :orc:

Aside from this, I'm quite pleased - expect a flurry of Dwarven minifigs really soon. :D
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

Azaghal wrote:First, the two dwarves with brown beards had them inexplicably backwards
Funny, my giant chess set had the same problem.
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

On the website the picture shows the two at the bottom with backwards beards as well... funny stuff!
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Azaghal wrote: and secondly . . . the packaging says, "Dwarfs". :orc:
I shall have to hope that is you being humorous. It is, after all, the proper English plural for "dwarf."

*Aside, to anyone else who doesn't realise that Tolkien made up "Dwarves" as the plural of "Dwarf"--a category which may or may not include Azaghal: Tolkien did, in fact, make up the plural "Dwarves"--though he later regretted he didn't make it "Dwarrows." Lego's decision to call their Dwarfs "Dwarfs" is perfectly in line with their decision to make their orks "trolls"--this isn't Middle-earth.

[/end rant]