Weekly Set Review: The Final Joust

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: The Final Joust

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 7009 The Final Joust.

The Final Joust was released in 2007 for Castle. A fully armed knight his horse joust against the black skeleton knight and his skeleton steed. Various accessories, a jousting fence, and a weapons rack are included.

Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Re: Weekly Set Review: The Final Joust

Post by Blueandwhite »

This is a great set! In fact, I would probably rank this as one of the best Castle sets period.

First, this is one of the nicest bardings LEGO has ever produced. The fact that it comes in a small and afordable set is a major bonus given that LEGO typically reserves such pieces for high-end/high-priced sets. The knight is standard fare now, but when the line was new this was also the cheapest way to grab a fully armed knight. The barrier itself is also made of exceedingly useful bricks including a number of log bricks and four 2x4 arches. I'm not fond of the skeleton warrior, but he does give you a second minifig complete with armour and equipment. It's hard to complain about this set given it's price.

I hope we see something similar in the future.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

I liked this set quite a lot. Two minifigs, lots of useful pieces and extra weapons for all makes a pretty fine set in my opinion. And was only $10 NZ which means its cheap and $3 less than sets its size at the present.
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Soldier and horse. Skeleton and skeltal horse. Two flags. Lots of weapons. Very, very nice.

Pretty much all the pieces are immensely usable. Except those gold slope pieces. I've got a ton of them and no idea what to do with them. And I wish they'd used a new face for the knight and printed his torso.

The only thing I don't understand is the name. What were the prior jousts?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Top notch set at a great price. It's a fully equipped battle in a box!
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

I bought multiples of these at release, five or six. At the time I thought they were great, but on reflection and sorting, the set is pretty weak.

I've got plenty of skeleton horses I never use, and that the torsos in the set are plain is a real kick in the Megablocks. As Steve mentioned too, the pearl gold slopes aren't much fun either. I like the weapons and barding though.
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

Nice figs and plenty of weapons, which is always good. The gold slopes are a bit annoying, and don't even work well in the primary model, as they give the barrier a front and a back, which seems inappropriate. That's a quibble though, and the rest of the pieces are all useful.
printer6
Serf

Post by printer6 »

A nice set; the weapons, the barding, the archs and the "wood" pieces are all very nice for the price. On its own it's not much to write home about, but really not bad for such a small set. The black skeleton horse is a plus too.
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

This set was my first purchase of the fantasy line and my first castle purchase as an adult. One of the reasons I decided to get back into Lego Castle which ultimately led me here. :)

I really enjoyed this set, what I liked best was the fact that it came out with two fully armed, mounted knights, human and undead. I didn't care much for the jousting fence, although the arches proved to be useful for building castles later on. At the time when the SW sets I had previously been collecting were starting to get really pricey, I appreciated that this set was only $10. Overall a great set and one that opened a huge door for me to really start getting into Lego Castle again.
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

I think it's a great set to buy a few times, but not more than that. All of the figures and horses are "hero" characters, and having a ton of them seems a little weird to me. But it was definitely worth buying several of them. I think I have 4.
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
Lord Lego 436
Laborer

Post by Lord Lego 436 »

This was one of my favorite Castle sets of all time! It came with a sweet helmet and barding, and a cool skeleton horse for a very good price! It seems a lot like those older sets that TLC would do, the better ones.
"Humans build atomic bombs, but no mouse in the world would be stupid enough to design a mousetrap."
- Albert Einstien

My MOCpage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/16960
vinchenso
Gong Farmer

Post by vinchenso »

I did get this set as other's have mentioned before as a result of the lack of fully armoured knights. Price wise its a good set, but it lacks any real depth. I would say this was a spare parts box as the design is not altogether that great. The knights are an okay addition to an army or scene, but the buildings typical of lego aren't hat well designed.... Looks okay though and the parts are valuable. Overall this was a pretty decent set and complements serious self creations pretty well. Its a bit weak though as knights and the figures given are rather commonplace now though.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

”Hey, evil men-eating wizard-driven undead skeleton, let’s joust it out like civilised ..erm... beings!“ – ”’kay.“

While I like this set, I don’t think it’s great. Sure, from the outparting point of view it’s a bunch of some useful (and some less useful) pieces. But as for the model itself it’s rather weak. One might get the impression through Lego’s (that’s a Genitive, not a Plural) Castle-history jousting sets have more and more descended, becoming less and less favourable.

The first of all, 383/6083, was a fully equipped joust, with mounted knights, knaves, a colourful stand for the king and his queen, as well as a cypress tree. The second one, 6060, was, I admit it, probably eben more beautiful, having a barrier between the jousting knights, an even bigger audience and a beer keg. But it didn’t have a king, let alone a cypress tree. And it wasn’t available in Europe for some inscrutable reason, which is definitely a minus compared to its predecessor.
Then there was nothing for a long time, maybe caused by the lack of two different factions being released at the same time – there was no opponent.
The next joust set, 6095, again came with a king, but with only three figs in total. There was a grandstand that offered a stained glass piece, which made it valuable, but other than that it was quite juniorized and didn’t give the feeling of a festive joust. And it got worse. Knights Kingdom Vol. 2. 8779 was a joke. A real bad one. But at least we got a grandstand with a king.

And now we don't even get a stand at all. What will be next?

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Jojo,

That is true. I figure though for the price this was a great set.

I wish I had gotten more now. Best barding in a long time.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

as Crownie sets go, this is one of the more 'meh' ones, at least in desinn. When it comes to parts, this is one of the best. for $10, you get two fully equiped knights, admitidly one is a skeletoan, but useful none the less. There is also plenty of weapons to go around, and a barding too boot. It would be nicer if the barding was the silver kind, but the gold one is better than nothing. The two other things in the set aren't very practical or good looking to an extent, but they do have some useful peices, if you are into the new colors.

All in all, a very good set.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life