Ten rarest parts?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lady Val
Villein

Ten rarest parts?

Post by Lady Val »

I`ve started on the mammoth task of sorting out all the Castle Lego I`ve aquired over the last few years. There is a lot....

To explain, we have things called "jumble sales" across here.....I think you Americans call them rummage sales? Events where folk donate all their loose junk, and it`s sold very cheaply to raise money for a charity. We also have "carboot" sales, which is sort of like a group garage sale but with a lot of folk selling out their car boots. (I think you call it the car trunk?)

Anyway I like these events and I go to a lot. I buy a lot too because it`s usually dirt cheap, like a couple of pounds for a crate or shopping bag full. (£1.00=$1.90 at the moment I think.) Most of the Lego I`ve bought over the years has been snaffled by the kids, but I tended to keep the obvious Castle stuff apart. It`s just mounted up in the cupboard! Boxed sets or sets with instructions are not a problem, but I`ve five huge (HUGE) plastic containers of loose stuff to sort now. Inspiration has struck, I`ve been reading though all your suggested sites of reference...but...

Anyway, advice is needed. I`m not bad at figuring out when there`s most of the pieces of a set around, but what I`m worried about is missing the really rare pieces through lack of knowledge. Or rare minifigs, or whatever. I don`t want the residue to vanish into the hands of the kids and be losing something crucial. So in all your expert opinions, what are the ten rarest and most unusual things I need to look for?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Many people should give their opinions but I think several things are desirable.

Minifigures and their accessories of any kind will always demand more value than basic bricks.

So castle items such as ghosts, pitchforks, grey treasure chests, armor, archery targets, feathers (plumes), shields, weapons, bardings, horses, etc are always good to find.

Pieces needed for buildings such as doors and windows also bring higher prices.

Some bricks are valuable because they are rare in a certain color. For example, a yellow 2x2 corner convex slope is extremely rare because it only came in one set.

I would look through part prices at www.bricklink.com to get a good idea for piece value.

Ben E.
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

architect wrote:So castle items such as ghosts, pitchforks, grey treasure chests, armor, archery targets, feathers (plumes), shields, weapons, bardings, horses, etc are always good to find.
Archery targets? I was looking at a piece not half an hour ago and wondering if it was some sort of Medieval dart-board. Duhhh.... And I didn`t even realise there was a grey treasure chest. Thanks. This is the sort of info that I need....my education is somewhat lacking! I always think that you can read all the textbooks, but if you want to get the real info you ask a fan.

Incidentally I should stress that I`m not looking for info on monetary value of pieces because I`m not intending to sell any. The only time I`ll feel the need to find out how much a piece is worth is when I`m looking to buy one, or if I want to set up a trade. I just want to get my own collection a bit more organised, and that involves not chucking things like Medieval dart-boards into the Misc Spares box because I didn`t know what it was!
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

There are some parts which are really rare like black sword, black halbard, black crossbox, black/yellow/brown parrot, brown plastic cape, lt. gray treasure chest etc.

White Dragon pulm and black regulair pulms are hard to get parts.

Some of unique walls like the Tudar ones (partcuilry the ones from the original 6067). Other unique wall is the dragon wall from 6082 and 1906, the red roof from the same 2 sets, the very unique wall from 6097, the black brick wall from 6085.

Most of the bardings are really hard to get as well.
The Yellow horse holder from 6011 is very unique as well. The female white hat from 6023. A lot of the square flags like the red lions and the black falcon one from the original 6074. Some of the minifigs are really hard to get from all the old castles (yellow castle persiod), few of the forestman/dark forest minifigs, the 2 ladys from 6081 and 6071.

The Chrome & Gold Dragon Helmets (4818 & 7419), Chrome Armor (4817 & 6280/6291) , Golden Sword (7417) and Chrome (4819) & Golden (7418) Shields.

Well this is just a brief list, there alot of others of course unique hard to find bricks as Ben manitioned before.
Last edited by Webrain on Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

architect wrote: Minifigures and their accessories of any kind will always demand more value than basic bricks.

So castle items such as ghosts, pitchforks, grey treasure chests, armor, archery targets, feathers (plumes), shields, weapons, bardings, horses, etc are always good to find.
Just a general note of agreement on Ben's assessment - rare minifig stuff is just a pain to get. Getting the figs stuff from the 375 castle is like getting a total cashectomy.

The only bit of puzzlement is that I have at least 20 archery targets languishing about - I suppose I should set up an archery tournament.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Sorry I'm answering myself but I thought this link can be helpful

http://classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Here are a few parts to look out for:

Any visor/helmet from the Legoland line. 375/6075 , 383/6083, 6002. All the Minifigs from these sets as well as 677/6077 and 0016.These figs and their accessories will be some of the most expensive if you need to fill spots in you collection.

Other parts are:
Black Sword - 6041
Black Feather Plumes
White Dragon Plumes
Silver Chrome Armor Breastplate
Light or Dark Grey Euro Armor
Black Ninja Armor
Royal Knights Lion Head Pattern Cloth Cape from 6090
Brown Plastic Cape - 6040
White Hat High Cone Shaped - 6023
Black Bird - 6081
Of course all weapons/accessories and minifigs are worth keeping.

Will

Man this is getting repetitive. Use the link from the above topic, it has the best list of rare parts.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I would suggest that you start out by trying to build all the sets you have, and see what's there. www.brickshelf.com has scans of lots of the set instructions (as well as the option to open an account and post pictures of your own creations).

Bruce
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Cashectomy? Wouldn't that be a removal of cash? The IRS is already good there. But I agree, original castle stuff is the greatest find, one I haven't made at any garage sales as we call them here in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Not that garages are up for sales. And come to think of it, most now occur only in the sun on tables in the driveway. As a matter of fact have you ever noticed that we park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway? Screwy language eh? Well, back to topic, send any and all castle parts here to Yamhill Country for authentication. My efficient staff of 9 and 6 year olds will of course confiscate any interlopers. :wink:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Webrain wrote:Sorry I'm answering myself but I thought this link can be helpful

http://classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732
I was searching for this sort of thread before I posted my own. Many thanks for the link.