The Search for the Greatest Castle Set of All Time: Vote Now

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Re: The Search for the Greatest Castle Set of All Time: Vote Now

Post by Quickblade22 »

I didn't cast a vote in the finale, but mine would have been between the MMV and the King's Castle. There was not a bad set in the final 5 at all. Remember the best thing about the MMV is that it was a set built on customer feedback. May that trend continue whether it is civilian sets or fantasy sets.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Also worth noting on the 30% majority note is the fact that it's actually pretty close to an even split between civilian and military sets, in the top five:

Medieval Market Village, with 30% of the vote, plus the Guarded Inn, at 15% of the vote, equals 45% of the total vote for civilian sets.

Meanwhile, King's Castle (25%), Black Knight's Castle (20%), and the Black Falcon's Fortress (10%) of the votes, which gives military sets an edge, at a 55% total.

So... one *could* interpret the results here to mean that military sets are more popular. Of course, the purpose of the poll wasn't to determine if military or civilian sets were more popular. For that, you'd probably have had to take a different tack, such as doing a knock-off each round, until there were only two sets left--hoping, of course, that they were the strongest respective military and civilian sets, which this poll suggests would not have been so clear--the military vote was rather evenly divided. That's the whole point, however, to be made in interpreting the data here, in favour of one set or the other. In a sense, MMV had an unfair advantage, being one of a select number of civilian sets, and undeniably advanced in scale, whereas the military side has to contend with many, many castles.
Nicker
Peasant

Post by Nicker »

I voted for the Kings Castle but I like all the sets that made the final round. The Medieval market village is definitely a very nice set that I almost voted for over the Kings Castle. I really hope Lego realizes what a success MMV is and come out with similar sets in the near future! :)
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1
karl
Freeman

Post by karl »

the question i have is how were the sales ? sure its popular here but how well did it sell ? did it make enough money for them to consider another similar set ?
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

the question i have is how were the sales ? sure its popular here but how well did it sell ? did it make enough money for them to consider another similar set ?
What do sales have to do with a fan vote on which castle is the best?

I'm not even sure you can obtain the rights to look at the data for sales of individual LEGO product, and even if you could, I'm not sure it is relevant in a fan vote about which is best. But the fact is even if you could get that data, it would be total sales, it would not be limited to AFOL sales, which this voting was limited to TFOL's and AFOL's. Therefore this data would be skewed and it would be discounted as it is not representative of the numbers in question.

Collecting data is fine and how the business world makes decisions, but unless the data will actually enhance the decision making process, well then its just data. If you needed sales numbers to make a decision, well then I guess maybe you weren't able to vote because you were lacking in data we could not provide.

If you are discussing the consideration that LEGO will make another set like the MMV, then that is off topic to the discussion at hand, which is the discussion of the vote for the greatest castle set of all times.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
karl
Freeman

Post by karl »

my question on sles figures is because we afol loved the set, i am wondering how the rest of the market took to it as in how well did it sell outside of the afol market. since afol only makes up 5 percent of total sales, how did the majority (not us) like it and we would only know that through sales figures. im new to all this, but does the fact that they havnt sold out yet tell us they didnt sell as well as expected or is this normal? how long has the set been available?
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

my question on sles figures is because we afol loved the set, i am wondering how the rest of the market took to it as in how well did it sell outside of the afol market. since afol only makes up 5 percent of total sales, how did the majority (not us) like it and we would only know that through sales figures. im new to all this, but does the fact that they havnt sold out yet tell us they didnt sell as well as expected or is this normal? how long has the set been available?
It is off topic for this thread.

The MMV has been on back order MANY times during its time in existence. Which I believe means it did sell out and was re-ordered. As I have said, we do not have access to the statistics you are wanting.

Please keep on topic in threads.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
karl
Freeman

Post by karl »

the fact of the matter is thanks to this thread i ordered the set and i got it today :D
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

Although I didn't get to vote in time, I actually agree with the results.
Despite lacking the nostalgia of the older sets, MMV does pack quite a wallop in set design and the incredible selection of parts.
As a parts package alone, MMV easily trumps all other castle sets, with only a few possible exceptions.
My other choice would have been 6086 Black Knight's Castle.
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

karl wrote:the fact of the matter is thanks to this thread i ordered the set and i got it today :D
Hey, glad to know we inspired you to buy it. How you enjoy it. Let us know.

Personally, I don't think it's off topic to wonder how the results of the search compare to the company's sales. Just some comparing.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
twevans
Serf

Post by twevans »

karl wrote:the fact of the matter is thanks to this thread i ordered the set and i got it today :D
You're not the only one. I'm hoping mine arrives on Monday :D
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

this should have been won by 6080 kings castle
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

veevers24 wrote:this should have been won by 6080 kings castle
No, that would have simply been your vote. Please limit yourself to relevent comments.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
LordZode
Apprentice

Post by LordZode »

After this thread, I also purchased a MMV from Shop At Home. It's sitting now waiting to be assembled and I couldn't be happier.

I feel it may not be available much longer and I am very satisfied to have this piece of Lego history.
P.S. If you need help making MOCs, making posts, or don't know what to do next, please, let me know! I'm here to help! ;)
BobaFett2
Serf

Post by BobaFett2 »

If nominations are still accepted, Royal Knights Castle (6090). It has loads of great features, awesome baseplate, cool parts, great guys, and a lot, lot more.
This is not Star Wars-It's real life (not much difference though).