7953 Jester and 7955 Wizard - Kingdoms Set Reviews

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Forestboy
Steward

7953 Jester and 7955 Wizard - Kingdoms Set Reviews

Post by Forestboy »

7953 Jester and 7955 Wizard - Kingdoms Set Reviews - DOUBLE FEATURE!
An in depth look at the smallest sets in the Kingdoms line...

During my visit to the LEGO Brand Retail Store on June 1st, I was able to pick up a few kingdoms sets. Considering no one had done a full review of the impulses, I decided to make one myself...in a back to back double feature! First, we start off with 7953 Jester...

Basic Info:

Name: Jester (Court Jester on Brickset)
Number: 7953
Ages: 5-12
Pieces: 22 + 3 Extra (25 Total)
Minifigs: 1
Price: $3.99 , £2.99
Price per piece: 16 cents (USD)
Released: Summer 2010

The Box

Front:

First we have front. I really like the new box art design. Especially the draping banner on the side that tells you the basic info.

Back:
Nothing spectacular here. Just an image of the largest of the line, King's Castle (which a review of can be found here), and the place to punch your thumb through to get to the set. But still, I like that stone background. :wink:

The Contents
Alright, we open up said box and find, an instruction manual and a small bag with all the pieces in it. Although, inside the small bag, is an even smaller one that contains the jester's hat.

Instructions:

Front:
Complete with 5 mind blowing steps. :wink:

Back:
Advertisement for the rest of the kingdoms line. Kind of disappointed though because the last impulses had pictures of all the other impulses (Even ones from different themes).

Pieces:

Here are all the 22 (25) pieces. (Note: I accidentally put the extra pieces from 7955 Wizard in there so don't mind the trans dots. :) )

The jester's hat which came in separate packaging which was a bit hard to get into.

All the pieces included in the set, except separated this time. (Note: Extra pieces not in this picture)

The three extra pieces included in the set. Basically, an extra set of juggling balls.

Pieces of Interest:

If you were to buy this set just for the parts, the only real draw would probably be for the flags. I was going to include the red slopes, but those aren't that important. (If you think they are, tell me.)

The Build

ImageImageImage

The Fig

This is definitely the main draw for the set. This is the third jester to be released (if you count Harley Quinn). The only main difference between this guy and the Crownie one is that he is red and white, and has a lion belt buckle.

Minifig still has back printing and a crying face.

The Verdict

Design and Parts: The design for the set is a bit lacking, but it has to be hard when you're aiming for 30 pieces or less in a set. I'd say that while the jester's stand is nice, it's not amazing. Plus, I wasn't sure what the logic behind the flags were. Going with red and gold was a bit weird. Maybe both red, both white, both gold, or red and white would have been better because they look out of place. But still, it looks pretty good. 7/10
Building Experience: Extremely fast. I could have built it just by looking at the box. Of course it's an impulse so it takes no time at all, but still the building was fun in general. 7/10
Minifig: Like I said earlier, it's definitely the main draw for the set. And although he's pretty much the same except for the lion belt, I'm totally ok with that. The double-sided face is very cool for other minifigs as well. 8/10
Playability: Alone, this set can't really do anything. Now sure, you can have him juggle for an invisible crowd, but that doesn't really work, does it? But with 7946 King's Castle, if you plop down this little stand in the courtyard, it will fit right in. Your jester can do all kinds of silly antics for the King. Alone: 5/10 | With other sets: 8/10
Price: Ehhhhhh...with a price per piece ratio at 16 cents (that's with the extra pieces) it's a bit high, but you have to keep in mind that a fig is about $2 and 20+ pieces is about $2 so it makes the price fair. I'm mad that they raised the price by 50 cents though (A whole 50 cents!). I was confused at checkout. But after looking at the price tag, I thought, "Well there's nothing I can do now." But still it's cheap, and I love impulses! 9/10
Would I buy another? Right now, probably not. I don't really have any projects in which I need an army of Jesters or some specific piece in here so probably not. Maybe one more, but that's it.
What would I change? The only thing I would change in this set is the flags. They still look weird...
Overall: Overall, very cool set. The Jester is a very nice fig, price is right, and fits right in with your king. Definitely a great cheap way to get a Jester if you were not able to in the last round of Castle. Buy it? Yes, but only one. 8/10

TOTAL: 7.5 (Rounded off) - Good - Buy it

Now onto 7955 Wizard...

Basic Info:

Name: Wizard
Number: 7955
Ages: 5-12
Pieces: 19 + 2 Extra (21 Total)
Minifigs: 1
Price: $3.99 , £2.99
Price per piece: 19 cents (USD)

Released: Summer 2010

The Box

Front:

First we have front. Like said, I really like the new box art design. We see that the Wizard is in some sort of cave.

Back:
Same thing as 7953 Jester.

The Contents
Alright, this time there is an instruction manual and a small bag with all the pieces in it. No smaller bag inside the small bag this time.

Instructions:

Front:
6 steps total. Three for each item.

Back:
Pictures of the rest of the kingdoms line. (Same as 7953 Jester)

Pieces:

Here are all the 19 (21) pieces.

All the pieces except laid out this time. (Note: Extra pieces not in this picture)

Extra pieces. Two trans dots.

Pieces of Interest:

If you were to buy this set just for the parts, these would be the pieces that you would want to get in my opinion. A wizard wand, a 2x2 plate with 1 stud in the center (Dark Tan), the 2x2 printed tile piece, and the Dark Green Dragon Baby 'Norbert' which we haven't seen since 2005.

The Build

ImageImage

ImageImage

The Fig

This picture has the wizard minifig with no beard. (So I can show you the head)

The wizard minifig with the beard. (Note: Minifig has no back printing for those who are wondering.)

The Verdict

Design and Parts: Overall, very nicely done. The table was simple, but effective and I really like the stand. Although, I didn't like how the stand had 1x2 of empty space in the back. I wish they would have included a 1x2 black plate for you to put on there. Plus, there are some killer parts in here too. 9/10
Building Experience: Extremely fast. I could have built it just by looking at the box. Of course it's an impulse so it takes no time at all, but still the building was fun in general. 7/10
Minifig: Now for the wizard, I wouldn't say he is the main draw for the set, because there are some great parts in here, but he's still really nice. The black beard of course is awesome, as well as the printed hat and legs. Although, I found the choice in face and torso was disappointing. The wizard's chest looks like there's something missing and the black beard with a dark gray face doesn't work for me. Very nice though, regardless. 7/10
Playability: Like I said, alone this set can't really do much. Now sure, you can have him play with his pet dragon but that doesn't really work, does it? But with any other Kingdoms set, he will totally it will fit right in and be unstoppable on the battle field. Alone: 5/10 | With other sets: 9/10
Price: Ehhh...with a price per piece ratio at 19 cents (that's with the extra pieces) it's pretty high, but you have to keep in mind that a fig is about $2 and 20+ pieces is about $2 so it makes the price fair, just like the Jester. I'm still mad that they raised the price by 50 cents though (Still!). Very cheap, for what you get. 9/10
Would I buy another? Yes. Awesome pieces, cool minifig, nice design. Definitely deserving of a second buy.
What would I change? I would add a 1x2 black plate on back of the scroll's stand and change the minifig a bit.
Overall: Overall, awesome set! Cool wizard, price is right, and fits right in with any battle. Definitely a great cheap way to snag some cool pieces and a nice fig. Buy it? Yes, and maybe even one more. 8/10

TOTAL: 8 (Rounded off) - Great - Buy it (Maybe multiple copies)

And there you have it folks! Go buy these sets if you haven't already and then tell me your thoughts on them!

~Forestboy~
Last edited by Forestboy on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://mosaicbricks.blogspot.com/]MosaicBricks[/url]-[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/12945]Mocpages[/url]-[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcrmccoy/]Flickr[/url]-[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kcrmccoy/]Brickshelf[/url]-
---
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/article ... rands.html]Want your wizards to shoot out huge shots of fire? Learn the Fire Strand technique! (Click the link)[/url]
BiggerJim
Apprentice

Re: 7953 Jester and 7955 Wizard - Kingdoms Set Reviews

Post by BiggerJim »

Agree with you completely about the wizard. I may have to get a jester now!
Thanks for the review.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=biggerjim]My store[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggerjim/]My Flickr[/url]
MOC's come and go....But sorting is forever.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Forestboy,

Your in depth review need some improvement. It is considered bad form to post more than three 400x300 pixel (or smaller) images in a thread at CC. A small amount of additional images work best as thumbnail links. Check out the Classic-Castle Faq image section here: http://www.classic-castle.com/ccfaq.html#forum6

Classic-Castle values intelligent discussion in our forums over large quantities of images in a thread. We believe that large numbers of images are best left to image hosting sites such as flickr, mocpages, and brickshelf. Small sets also only need a few images to tell the whole story.

I appreciate the large amount of work you put into your review. A review for one set with one box image, one parts image, and one or two set images (both sides) likely would be sufficient for a CC review thread. The other images could be linked to off site.

In addition, short posts are easier for other fans to read and will lead to more discussion which is what we all want. Thanks.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I had many of the same thoughts about the wizard and jester.

The wizard torso was very basic, perhaps toooo basic. That said TLC has been known to do this if the torso is to be covered so I kinda expected that.

I liked the wizard, finally a guy with a bit darker look to him as a wizard in an impulse set.

I'd have given him a 8.5 or 9.

The jester was cool in and of himself but his stand I agree could have been a bit better... maybe to flag poles with the flags?

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Forestboy
Steward

Post by Forestboy »

architect wrote:Forestboy,

Your in depth review need some improvement. It is considered bad form to post more than three 400x300 pixel (or smaller) images in a thread at CC. A small amount of additional images work best as thumbnail links. Check out the Classic-Castle Faq image section here: http://www.classic-castle.com/ccfaq.html#forum6

Classic-Castle values intelligent discussion in our forums over large quantities of images in a thread. We believe that large numbers of images are best left to image hosting sites such as flickr, mocpages, and brickshelf. Small sets also only need a few images to tell the whole story.

I appreciate the large amount of work you put into your review. A review for one set with one box image, one parts image, and one or two set images (both sides) likely would be sufficient for a CC review thread. The other images could be linked to off site.

In addition, short posts are easier for other fans to read and will lead to more discussion which is what we all want. Thanks.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Hey, Ben! Thanks for turning all my images into thumbnails and letting me know about this stuff. I have edited my post and made it a bit shorter. I'll make sure to make my reviews shorter and my images fewer in the future. :wink:

Thanks,
~FB~
[url=http://mosaicbricks.blogspot.com/]MosaicBricks[/url]-[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/12945]Mocpages[/url]-[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcrmccoy/]Flickr[/url]-[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kcrmccoy/]Brickshelf[/url]-
---
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/article ... rands.html]Want your wizards to shoot out huge shots of fire? Learn the Fire Strand technique! (Click the link)[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Two excellent and thorough reviews! I have both sets and enjoy them quite nicely. I've done just a few changes to my wizard for a bit more umph such as using a Vladek head instead of the smith/gold knight head and a jewel for on bottle stopper and a metallic silver round 1x1 for the other bottle stopper. Pretty much left the Jester as is. He does have a sufficient little stage.
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

Forestboy wrote: ... black beard with a dark gray face... ~Forestboy~
um dark grey? it looks yellow to me. maybe i'm misunderstanding but...
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

quaraga wrote:
Look closely at this picture. You can see that the face has a beard printed on it, and that beard is grey. I think this is the grey to which Forestboy's comment refers.
Forestboy
Steward

Post by Forestboy »

Handar wrote:
quaraga wrote:
Look closely at this picture. You can see that the face has a beard printed on it, and that beard is grey. I think this is the grey to which Forestboy's comment refers.
Oh, yeah! :lol: Sorry about that. I meant grey beard not grey face. :wink:

~FB~
---
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I love, love, love these, but TRU in the USA wants $4.49 each!? I would stock up if they'd sell them for at LEAST $1.50 less. :mad:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Lord Insanity
Villein

Post by Lord Insanity »

Count Blacktron wrote:I love, love, love these, but TRU in the USA wants $4.49 each!? I would stock up if they'd sell them for at LEAST $1.50 less. :mad:
$3.49US is the MSRP on those so you will not find them for $1.50 less unless you score a crazy good sale.
"A little nonsense now and then relished by the wisest men" - The real Willy Wonka
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Lord Insanity wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote:I love, love, love these, but TRU in the USA wants $4.49 each!? I would stock up if they'd sell them for at LEAST $1.50 less. :mad:
$3.49US is the MSRP on those so you will not find them for $1.50 less unless you score a crazy good sale.

True. I suppose I am a holdover from a bygone era. It seems that 12+ cents per part is nearly quite the average. I am such a relic. :cry:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

I've yet to open either of these but I bought them both when I purchased the King's Castle. [Lol, it was a situation where my wife wanted to get me a nice graduation present, and I talked her into purchasing the two cheapies with the castle :eyebrows: ]

I agree with the statement that separate minifigs always carry a "meh factor", but when you consider the long-term benefits to the collection, its important to snatch them up while they're still available. I got the troll warrior but missed on the soldier and wizard with Castle's last line, so I didn't want to be put out again. :orc:
For the King's Castle!
SevFalcon
Laborer

Post by SevFalcon »

Great review there! I bought both of these and was debating whether to keep them or not. I think this has convinced me to hang on to these two sets.
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

The 7953 and 7955 are alright sets design wise, there are a little limiting as small sets go as whom needs 20 jesters or 20 of the same wizard? I can ALWAYS use 20 of the same soldier design..... :halo: Well, except maybe for the Jellybean knights....
Build? I merely Acquire atm.