Theory

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dragon Master
Merchant

Theory

Post by Dragon Master »

I have a theory on KKII and why some people like it, and others hate it.

My theory is this, people who are too young to have experienced "Classic-Castle" sets or have no way of getting them like KKII becuase its all they know.

The other group I find that is attracted to KKII are large scale army builders and storyline makers, who need different lines to add variery to their collections.

On the other hand people who hate KKII seem to be purists, who have no desire to customize the helmets and armor. And older fans and moderate to major set colectors who know and like the quality of the older sets.

Another group of people who dislike KKII are people who desire accurate castles and soldiers (although there has been some arguments over this matter, but find me a real knight clad in purple armor with a visor as big as a barrel, and I'll shake your hand).

I know I'm generalizing but bear with me please.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So this is what I want you to do, participate in my little non-scientific study.

Fill out the below form

I ________(love/hate) KKII.

1. Age
2. Purist or Customizer
3. Accurate Mocs or Fantasy Mocs

PLMKWYT

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

Sure, I'll bite! :P

I Brian James Gibbons of Hanley Like KKII.

1. 14
2. Purist
3. Fantasy Mocs
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I Chris Hate KKII

2.Customizer
3.Fantasy MOCs

[/u]
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I, Lord Anthony III, love KKII.

1. 25
2. Customizer (stickers and brasso only, old customs notwithstanding)
3. Yes
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

William A. Lister III dislike KKII.

1. 29, I'll be 30 too soon. :wink:
2. Yes
3. Yes

There are as always good sides to just about every set so I can't say I hate KKII. Now ask me what I think of the price point or set design and I could definitly show some displeasure. Ask about castle sets in the new bleys and I am definitly less happy. I am looking forward to purchasing some new bardings and some red, green and black armor. I am also looking forward to purchasing a few of the new helms and visors. Green, purple and black. I like the new reddish brown burps. SO there is good in these sets and there is bad. There is probably a little more bad than good compared to previous lines so it falls in the Dislike category.

2. I like to customize many aspects of the sets I have, from cutting to painting and stickers. I also like to keep some of the most classic of my sets in pristine and pure form. So I am a yes to this question.

3. I like historically accurate Structures mixed in with creatures and magic. So my realm is historically fantastical. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I Nicholas Mann Hate KK2

1. 15
2. Purist
3. Accurate
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

I James Nakamura hate KKII.

1. 12
2. Customizer
3. Accurate as I have the recources to make them MOC's

Well, I personally think that it probably has something to do with the the movements of the planets (joking)
:D
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I "The" Josh Levinson like (not Love) KKII.

1. I'll be 17 in a Month

2. Purist

3. I build both accurate and fantasy MOC's. I'm starting to get into more accurate building, but how can you call yourself a lego castle fan without throwing some fanstasy into your MOC's :wink: (I don't think wizards and dragons are historically accurate). I'd say my building is like Will's:
wlister wrote:historically fantastical

-The Josh
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: Theory

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Nathan Alexander Wells

I generally like KKII.

1. 16
2. Purist, but would use stickers if I had a decent printer
3. I build both accurate and fantasy MOCs
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I, John L, hate KKII. (mostly, hate is a pretty strong word. And if I want something to love, I'd try for a attractive girl first :wink: )

1. 15

2. Purist except Jeff's stuff. (Little Armory)

3. Fantasy I guess.
Dada
Freeman

Post by Dada »

I like KK2

15, soon 16
Purist (who can't download the PSD)
My world is fantastic but remains nevertheless with a strong medieval connotation

I could not buy much old factions (lions, crossed...) bus for those, I hadn't been born and for the others (black knight, master dragon) I was too young and only my parents could decide if I could have them (I hadn't money) :?
I really started to buy by myself only when KK1 left... :(
For this reason I forgive in parties the errors of KK2: I need new parts. :wink:
Superdada, grand général des armées Léonidienne
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I Troy T. Moore LIKE KKII.

1. 31
2. Purist who thinks about using stickers and brasso with a touch of rub n buff with some of the horrible colours.
3. Accurate Mocs

Parts are all I care about. The set designs...well we all know about that. My first castle set was 375 way back in 1978. Initially I was freaked right out about KK2, down right angry, even :evil: . Fact is, it's here, and nothing else is. I can hope for a legend. I'll buy some stuff, but not huge amounts and certain sets would have to be almost priced at give away prices for me to look twice at them.

Yeah these sets, avec sorry story line, plus the changes to the only three colours that affect castle.... But all my complaining will not change it, so I'll make do until something better comes along.[/i][/u]
Troy T. Moore
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I, The Right Reverend Sparkles, don't mind KKII.

1. 20
2. Customizer
3. Fantasy MOCs
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I Ben E tolerates KKII.

1. 24
2. Dabbles in customizing - mainly stickers and Little Armory weaponry :wink:
3. Accurate Moc's with a small dose of fantasy now and then.

I would like to own all KK2 sets before making final judgement on the set design. But for pieces and playability, I am happy so far. I still believe that LEGO can do better though.
Sir Lostalot
Gong Farmer

Post by Sir Lostalot »

Mainly a purest. I have used stickers, I've purchased to enable me to turn otherwise useless torsos into footmen or peasants. But that is the extent of that.

I shoot more towards accuracy. The more the better. With that in mind, I going to stick my head out and get clobbered. But I am open to SOME new colors for in reality there just isn't one shade of each color. I beleive it adds realism when multple shades are used in construction. Now with that said, I don't understand how knights which resemble the multiple colors in a box of Lucky Charms is to be taken seriously when they step onto the battlefield. Is their secert weapon to conquer while their foes are on the ground laughing?[/i]