Border Ambush Comments

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Border Ambush Comments

Post by rogue27 »

Just picked up Border Ambush 20% off at ShopKo last night. Last one in stock here.

Anyway, some weirdness - 2 of the 1x1 bricks were old light grey, while the rest were new light grey. I wonder how that happened?

Also, in the instruction book, there are a bunch of comic scenes at the end depicting the first 5 KK2 minifig sets. Funny thing is that some of the comics show the knights wearing dark grey helmets to match their belts and gloves, while the rest show the knights wearing helmets that match their visor colors. Seems to suggest that they originally wanted to use dark grey helmets with colored visors. Personally, I think it would have been much better like that, because it would have looked a bit less childish.

As for the set itself, pretty good part selection. The majority of the set was built from regular bricks and plates. Not too much fancy stuff at all. I really liked that. The shadow knight is an awesome fig. Too bad they are so difficult to come by. The red knight (santis?) is okay, but a bit too mono-red for my tastes. I also don't care for the visor. The sword isn't as bad as they looked in pictures online. It has a bit of a metallic look to it, like something reflective or shiny is mixed in the plastic. I still wish the hand guard wasn't backwards, but I guess I can't have everything.

Overall, I am happy with the parts it contained, but I don't plan on keeping the model together. Stand Santis on the flipper. Flip the flipper. Rock smashes shadow knight against the wall with an awful crunch, pull the rod and the trap door opens dropping the knight into a pit of scorpions. Still, I can see how this would be lots of fun for children, and the rope bridge is pretty cool. Much cooler than the old one-piece wooden bridges they used in so many sets before. Huh... anti-juniorized. Who would have thought?
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Yes,

I agree, the new rope bridge is a very nice addition and aside from the shadow knight, one of the best reasons to buy the set.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Yeh, I have 2x of them, I like them. the barding is cool and i like the catapult design.

Dave
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

When I was looking at it, it does have nice pieces. Looks like a really good set, just wish it had the Green Knight (Rascus?) instead of Santis.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Duke_Dave wrote:Yeh, I have 2x of them, I like them. the barding is cool and i like the catapult design.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Wrong set. You are talking about the Vladek Encounter set and we are talking about the Border Ambush set. There is no barding in the Border ambush. Just thought I'd let you know. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Mine also came with one old light gray 1*1 brick...almost made me cry :cry:
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Hey Will, thanks. I relized this earlier. For some reason I always mix up the tow sets. :D So sorry for the confusion.

Dave
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

I wan't maaany shadow knights
(they make excellent dudes for my dark army)
They sould make a small set with a shadow knight or two and a catapult or something
But Vladek with another head can also be called a shadow knight, not to forget :)
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Sir Garth wrote:I wan't maaany shadow knights
(they make excellent dudes for my dark army)
They sould make a small set with a shadow knight or two and a catapult or something
But Vladek with another head can also be called a shadow knight, not to forget :)

Stickers Rock - don't forget to thank your local Sava.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

LEGOFREAK wrote:Stickers Rock - don't forget to thank your local Sava.
I agree that stickers rock, but where can I find my local Sava, to thank him. Are they available in Canada? :lol:
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Formendacil wrote:
I agree that stickers rock, but where can I find my local Sava, to thank him. Are they available in Canada? :lol:
Aisle 5 right next to sporting goods....
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
Formendacil wrote:
Aisle five next to the sporting goods... ahh yes, this is where thay keep the hanging rifle targets :D
pwnage
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
Formendacil wrote:
At Zellers, Walmart, or TRU? Or some other store? :P
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

The rope bridge is most terrible. Rope is BROWN! not Green!

Eww. I hated the set. I was disabled the night it was built and I shall never buy it again.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

Dragon Master wrote:
The rope bridge is most terrible. Rope is BROWN! not Green!
Vines maybe?