This is my pitchfork

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

This is the wrong forum for this.

But way to go on that find!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Actually, the quote predates Full Metal Jacket. It's probably been used by Marine Corps DIs since there was a Corps. I think it's used a bit in Heartbreak Ridge too.

Full text:

http://difrompi.freeservers.com/rifle.htm

Formendacil, be careful with the geezer references; after all, old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill! ;-)

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:
Formendacil wrote:Obviously, no one is going to explain it, so I'll come right out and ask:

What is this in-joke thing that all you geezers get?

It seems to be some sort of a three-line poem that makes a sort of an oxymoronic statement.

Can you explain it to those of us that aren't aged?
So how old are you? Anyways, the "in-joke" comes from the movie Full Metal Jacket a Stanley Kubrick film, came out in 1987. It is a famous well-known film, also one of my personal favorites. The story shows harsh marine boot camp training, and eventually leads up to the vietnam war itself. The movie is filled with alot humor. I recomend this bad Megablocks film if you have not watched it, but keep in mind it is rated R, not recomended for children. :wink:

Dan
I came out the same year this did, 1987, and am thus still too young to see it in a theatre (assuming it ever came out in one again) or to rent it.

And I'd never even heard of it before.

I'm still not sure I get it, but I'll leave you old guys to your fun.
cnelson wrote:Formendacil, be careful with the geezer references; after all, old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!
Well, you all have to die sometime, and when you do.....

J/K!!!!!

By the time the current admins hit 80, I'll be hitting 70. Age difference, such as it is, won't matter then.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Ah....a pitchfork. I've never even seen one in person, much less owned one...

One of these days.... :wink:

Cm2
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

Formendacil wrote:
RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:
Formendacil wrote:Obviously, no one is going to explain it, so I'll come right out and ask:

What is this in-joke thing that all you geezers get?

It seems to be some sort of a three-line poem that makes a sort of an oxymoronic statement.

Can you explain it to those of us that aren't aged?
So how old are you? Anyways, the "in-joke" comes from the movie Full Metal Jacket a Stanley Kubrick film, came out in 1987. It is a famous well-known film, also one of my personal favorites. The story shows harsh marine boot camp training, and eventually leads up to the vietnam war itself. The movie is filled with alot humor. I recomend this bad Megablocks film if you have not watched it, but keep in mind it is rated R, not recomended for children. :wink:

Dan
I came out the same year this did, 1987, and am thus still too young to see it in a theatre (assuming it ever came out in one again) or to rent it.

And I'd never even heard of it before.

I'm still not sure I get it, but I'll leave you old guys to your fun.
cnelson wrote:Formendacil, be careful with the geezer references; after all, old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!
Well, you all have to die sometime, and when you do.....

J/K!!!!!

By the time the current admins hit 80, I'll be hitting 70. Age difference, such as it is, won't matter then.

Im not that old, I am only 17...It's just I watch alot of movies :wink: . Old and new.

Dan
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

porschecm2 wrote:Ah....a pitchfork. I've never even seen one in person, much less owned one...

One of these days.... :wink:

Cm2
I have 2 (or maybe 3). I've no idea how I came by them, but given their apparent rarity I'm rather glad I have them.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Very nice, you have a pitchfork................................Ok enough of this, give me the pitchfork!!!!!!!!!! (gasp) must have pitchfork!

And Dragon Master, this isn't the wrong forum, Sava is an Admin, he desides what is or isn't the right forum. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Re: This is my pitchfork

Post by doctorsparkles »

I too like your pitchfork. I also think that the red hips and the helmet look rather becoming on Mr. Falcon Man.
As for the F.M.J. reference, I'm only 20 and have seen that movie countless times. However, as I am not a Kubrick fan, I didn't catch on to the joke until it was pointed out to me.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Hey, Nice pitchfork!I must say that I would love to get my paws on a couple of them.... :mrgreen: Oh well,(sigh).......

Dave
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I only have three. :( And one is broken. :cry:
Check out my LEGO Movies at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=88753 !
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Snoopy wrote:And one is broken.
It's their destiny to break. I think my first pitchfork broke immediately after I recieved it when i tried to pick up some bricks with it. I glued it and it still is in use here.

Bye
Jojo

Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Snoopy wrote:I only have three. :( And one is broken. :cry:
You "only" have three? I have none...I suppose "only" is a relative word....
pwnage
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

I am a git.

A classmate had a bag of lego he was giving to charity and there was a pitchfork. I stole it.
rick
Gong Farmer

Post by rick »

I'm rich :twisted:

rick

(owner of 6040 and 6103)
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Green Fox wrote:I am a git.

A classmate had a bag of lego he was giving to charity and there was a pitchfork. I stole it.
I would have done the same...I wish I had some pitchforks for my castle Frankenstein!