Weekly Set Review: Prison Carriage Rescue

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Re: Weekly Set Review: Prison Carriage Rescue

Post by dyntar »

I liked this set... I bought a few of them mainly for the horse and horse head gear.
My dragon knights are now mounted thanks to this set.
Didnt really need the lion men.. the dragons are way outnumbered. but Im hoping 2011s sets will even things up. :D
I have a feeling they might :D
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

I find that 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue turns out to be better than a first glance would suggest. I feel that it is *NOT* a spectacular set in PARTICULAR measure, but even in it's seeming mediocrity the various parts add up to something far beyond what the previously mentioned quick glance provides. In other words it winds up being better than the sum of it's parts.

I am not in the target audience for this set yet I can see that it has decent play value, including 2 opposing sides, the horse and the cart.
As others have mentioned it's a good set to provide soldiers to bulk your forces for those into army building, especially since the Kingdoms Battlepacks seem to be gone from availability.

I already have multiple copies and will get more if I can find them on sale....
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

There's a cart in this set? Ha. This was for me the best way to start building up my Lion army but I'm not really a fan of the knights armour but his leg printing is c'est magnifique! I put those legs onto the archer from this set and really love that combo. The design of the archer torso is second to none and with a change of arms, will fit any colour scheme you like. The great helm is a nice piece as are the colours of the dragon knight's weapons. As a part of the set, I like others, find the cart a bit lacking but LEGO has price points to consider and it does have lots of nice parts. The black horse is always welcome too.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Throndor
Freeman
Location: Wherever it is they haul off the criminally insane to.

Post by Throndor »

Well, if you consider it this way, then you get the 3 figs for 3$ (the usual deal), a horse usually worth 3$ (that's 12$ worth of figs for 10$) as well as a cart. It's as if they pay you 2$ for you to take the cart off their hands. But I suppose that the more you buy the better deal you get per fig, which still doesn't make sense considering the battle packs sell for their standard single-fig unit price. What I usually do with this set (I have several) is contribute the lion knight and dragon soldier to their various factions' infantries and taking the spear, captured lion soldier and horse and make an addition to the lion cavalry army. All in all, a good deal if you're looking to add to your fig collection then this is a good buy. 8/10.
If I were to make something out of LEGOs, I would probably use LEGOs. Pretty advanced stuff going on up in my head.
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

my main bafflement due to this set is, how can the lion knight wearing the second heaviest amount of armour possibly catch the horse drawn cart? anyway, this set did not remain in it's orriginal form very long for several reasons. As previously stated who needs another prison cart? then there's the question of figs, the knight is pretty good, I still think it's weird that he can sprint faster than a horse drawn cart(maybe he's Jayko in disguise), the dragon is average as is the other lion. the horse is great but needs a saddle. the cart underwent several changes shortly after completion so it was ok but I could make something better. this set nicely compliments the outpost set. all in all 7/10.
-T.R.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
Silver.Smith
Serf

Post by Silver.Smith »

Is it just me or does the Lion knight need a cloak to balance him out?
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

quaraga wrote:my main bafflement due to this set is, how can the lion knight wearing the second heaviest amount of armour possibly catch the horse drawn cart?
"Head 'em off at the pass!"
Thoriun
Laborer

Post by Thoriun »

Hi

it was the first set i got from this knigdoms line, i liked it from moment one, but there is something missing in it

a Saddle for the horse, in the old days some if not most carriage sets had a saddle for the horse.

Thoriun

p.s. a dark green one
Thoriun... No words are enough to express how i feel

Silvery, often with black tarnish

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thoriun
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

The minifigures are good, especially the dragon knight but the carridge is, well, meh. The unicorn headgear is way fake and the cage would be better suited for capturing monkeys.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

friskywhiskers wrote:The unicorn headgear is way fake
Sorry, what?
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I think the dragon knights look cool, and it's rather disappointing that they've been cast as being obsessed with putting people in prison. I also think it's awful that the dragon knights never outnumber the lion knights. They are either even, or outnumbered. Outnumbered in their own sets even!

This cart highlights everything that was done wrong in this theme. At least it's nice for figs and parts... unless you wanted a saddle, dragon knights, or a dark green plume.

I don't like using number ratings, but this would probably be around a 5. They just don't know how to make small sets like they used to.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]