Call for Catalog Scans

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Call for Catalog Scans

Post by architect »

Hi CC Members,

Currently I am working on improving the castle set archives to include a wide variety of information such as links to other websites, descriptions of each set, and foreign names for each set.

I have encountered a setback. Brickshelf is incomplete with many castle catalog scans. I am looking for scans from 1978-present of Spain, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Canada (English and French names), etc.

Brickshelf already has most catalogs from the Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom, France (although some names are missing).

If anyone knows of links to the scans I need online, please pm me and let me know. Or if you could scan these pages and pm me, that would be great.

An example page of the new set archives can be seen here:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6080.html

Many thanks!

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Last edited by architect on Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hi Architect !

As you know, I scanned some months ago my 1985 Canadian Catalog. I send an email at Brickshelf but I got no reply and they didn't use it because the quality of the pictures is bad. So...

Here is the link:
http://www.inorchestral.com/David_Girar ... 20catalog/

Page 11
6103 English: Knights , French: Chevaliers

Page 12
6022 English: Men at Arms , French: Chevaliers
6030 English: Catapult , French: Catapulte
6040 English: Blacksmith Shop , French: Forge
6055 English: Prisoner Convoy , French: Convoi de prisonniers
6061 English: Siege Tower , French: Tour mobile
6073 English: Knight's Castle , French: Château du chevalier
6080 English: King's Castle , French: Château du roi

Question: Are you sure that 6080 is Castle Lion and not Lion Castle ?

I hope this will help you. :D
This was something I wanted to do to have all the name from different language together. The way you'll make it is a great idea.

David
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi David,

Thank you for the links. I have already been using your 1985 catalog scans for the archives. Do you have any other years of these Canadian catalogs? Thank you for typing out the names, I will double check them :wink:
Question: Are you sure that 6080 is Castle Lion and not Lion Castle ?
Yes, atleast two sources confirm that this is the correct UK name.
This was something I wanted to do to have all the name from different language together. The way you'll make it is a great idea.
Thank you! CC deserves to have great castle set archives. Hopefully we will be able to get more information than any other archive online for castle sets.

Thanks,

Ben E.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
architect wrote:Thank you! CC deserves to have great castle set archives. Hopefully we will be able to get more information than any other archive online for castle sets.
Hohoho! :wink:

Bye
Jojo

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hello!

architect wrote:
Thank you! CC deserves to have great castle set archives. Hopefully we will be able to get more information than any other archive online for castle sets.

Hohoho!

Bye
Jojo
Perhaps I should have said - archive for a castle site in English. I am very grateful for all of the help from Jojo and the vast amount of castle information at www.rittersets.de :wink:

Of course sites will be able to copy all of the set names which we find, and incorporate them into their websites.

Ben E
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hello Architect !

I will look at what I have at home for other catalog. I know I have some much catalog, but not as rare as the 1985 canadian catalog however.

If you more than one name in a same language, do you plan to write it too ? I hope so.

David
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi David,

Yes, I plan to have multiple names in the same language if they exist. For example, some sets have 3-4 names just in English. An other Canadian catalogs would be a great help. :wink: Thanks.

Ben E.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hi Ben,
excuse me for my lack of response. I said to you I was looking at my catalogs to help you to improve your list.

So I seen today that the things is complete. So I woke up :roll: and I realised I didn't look at my catalogs. So I did some minutes after.

Here is a resume of what I found you don't have in your list, all in Canadian Catalog in French language. I don't furnish you scan because it come from many canadian catalogs.

6009 Chevalier noir
6056 Chariot du dragon
6086 Château du maître du donjon
6082 Forteresse souffle-feu
6048 Atelier magique de Majisto
6076 Repaire du dragon mystérieux
6057 Serpent de mer
6085 Château du monarque noir
6071 Passage des forestiers
6075 Tour Bande de loups
6038 Renegats Bande de loups
6103 Mini-personnages du Château

And one correction in your list:
6076 change "ceverne" by "caverne".

I hope you'll add it to your list.

David :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi David :)

Thank you for providing me with these set names. If you know of any other, please let me know. I will work on updating the individual archive pages.

I know that many of the French Canadian names differ slightly from the France set names, so I will place these with the Canadian set names. Should I continue to list these there, or make an image for the French Canadian flag to put next to the National Canadian flag? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

To others, I am still looking for many Spanish, French, Danish, Portuguese, Finish, Australian, etc. set names. If you see any missing ones, please let me know.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

architect wrote:I know that many of the French Canadian names differ slightly from the France set names, so I will place these with the Canadian set names. Should I continue to list these there, or make an image for the French Canadian flag to put next to the National Canadian flag? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Keep both with the Maple Leaf flag. Both English and French are National Languages, official across the country. Not just in Quebec.

In Alberta, all of our cereal, milk, hardware, EVERYTHING, comes packaged bi-lingually, even though German and Ukrainian both have French beat for native speakers in our province.

They are National Languages, according to the language act. Keep them together.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

This is a political problem...

In a side you can put the Quebec Flag to illustrate the French Canadian as it is in the "Chat" section.

But in another side, Formendacil is true too. Quebec is part of Canada and both language are official language.

Quebec is always a particular problem in politic. My choice would be that you put the Quebec Flag (As the Chat section). Quebec is consider as a "distinct nation" inside Canada. But I don't want to offend English Canadian with that. I don't want to start a political debate. Plus Quebec is not the only French province. New-Brunswick is officialy bilingual.

Even if it's not my choice, I suggest you to not put Quebec Flag. Anyway this is the Canadian Catalog, not the Quebecer catalog. So I think you can continue as you did. The main suggest is Lego, not politic.

Thanks anyway for asking. :wink:

I'll search for different names in English in my catalogs tonight.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

As I said sooner, I checked for alternate English names in my catalogs and I found absolutely no alternate names.

So I suppose that English names were more official then French names.

You do a great job Ben. Keep working!
:wink:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi David,

I added all of your updates for the archives :) An example can be seen here:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6085.html

I do have another question though. It seems some sets like 6085 and 6103 had two French Canadian names.

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6103.html

For example, you give "Château du monarque noir" while another catalog scan you sent to me has "Château du Dragon Noir." Was the earlier name "Black Dragon Castle" in 1988 and that was later changed to "Black Monarch's Castle" later to match the US English set name? If there are two names, I can list both.

It seems that sometime between 1990 and 1992 the Canadian English set names usually are the same as US English names. If this happens or if a UK name is the same as the US, I have obmitted duplicating the name again on an archive page.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hmm... this makes me think of the two English names (both used in Canadian catalogues) for 6086.

In 1993, 6086 was called Dungeon Master's Castle.

In 1994, it became Black Knight's Castle.

I have no catalogues from 1992, so I have no idea what the case was then, although I believe I've heard that it used Dungeon Master as well.

Just thought I'd mention that there are other known instances.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hi Formendacil and Ben !

Yes it's true. It seems like French name were not very official. Your constatation is true. About 1990-1992 name were more stable than before. About 1990-1992 and later French names were the simple translation of English names. Before this it's anothere story...

I guess there was not real name for set in 80's in all languages. That's why there is so much different name for a single set.

An example: 6074
English: Black Falcon's Fortress, Castle Draco and the Black Knight, Eagle Crest Castle (3 names)
French: Château Eagle Crest, Le manoir fortifié (2 names)

I think this prove that there was no official name for set before 1990.

In response of your question, I think you should put all different name, even in the same country in the same language. The archives will be more complete. :D