LOTR and the hobbit lego

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
BTappel
Freeman

Re: LOTR and the hobbit lego

Post by BTappel »

andhe wrote:I wouldn't take it as a confirmation of Kingdoms continuing, but according to this Twitter chat
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/thebrick ... ng-in-2012
the castle line will continue at least, alongside LOTR (I know, its desperate times when one relies on Twitter for information).

I may be reading too much into it, but the reply about Lego Kingdoms said CASTLE would continue. Isn't that the generic name for the theme (space, city, castle being core themes) with Kingdoms being the specific name for this current run (to distinguish it from the previous fantasy stuff I guess).

But either way I could see a world where LOTR and castle sets are both being sold, similar to the Star Wars and Space Police situation. With a licensed theme for fans and collectors, and the lego line for the general consumer who just wants some lego.
Um... wow! LOTR and castle?! LEGO is making it hard to save money :eyebrows:
Lobberuno
Laborer

Post by Lobberuno »

Bricks! :? TLG Doesn't need licenses but, but maybe that will make happy a lot of people :)

By the way, Kingdoms is gone from the Lego Shop. So, if you want to search the 10223 Kingdoms Joust you must to access by the search tab or using this link.
- "If you know the Formula, apply it"
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

Bluesecrets wrote: Take everything you hear and read with a grain of salt. Unless you are under an NDA from TLG, you are not privy to future sets and lines. And if you are indeed under an NDA, then they can not legally disclose that information. Not even the ambassadors (I am one) have access to future sets or lines. Speculate all you want, but I wouldn't take the word of anything I see online as 100% truthful until real proof exists. Real proof being pictures from a Toy Fair or press releases from TLG or what not.
Totally. I was just hypothesising from the information I have. TLG have always send that Castle sets are one of their core themes (along with Space, and City). So unless they've changed their minds and decided to replace all castle related sets with the LOTR theme then it's not beyond belief that some form of Castle sets could be released alongside the larger LOTR theme.

There's plenty of scope for a lighter (younger?) Castle theme alongside the slightly darker (and older?) LOTR/Hobbit theme. It may even mean TLG steer clear of the 'conflict aspect' (of most Castle related sets, and the upcoming LOTR theme) and release some more 'jolly' medieval sets. Jugglers and dancing bears anyone?

edit: spelling mistake
Last edited by andhe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
tiberium_blue
Villein

Post by tiberium_blue »

andhe wrote:Totally. I was just hypothesising from the information I have. TLG have always send that Castle sets are one of their core themes (along with Space, and City). So unless they've changed their minds and decided to replace all castle related sets with the LOTR theme then it's not beyond belief that some form of Castle sets could be released alongside the larger LOTR theme.
I think when they say that kingdoms will continue next year they're referring only to the joust set. There's a castle among the new monster fighters theme sets so that may satisfy some in the meantime. To release anymore castle would be overkill.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiberium_blue]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2763]Cuusoo Autumn Leaves[/url]
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

tiberium_blue wrote:
andhe wrote:Totally. I was just hypothesising from the information I have. TLG have always send that Castle sets are one of their core themes (along with Space, and City). So unless they've changed their minds and decided to replace all castle related sets with the LOTR theme then it's not beyond belief that some form of Castle sets could be released alongside the larger LOTR theme.
I think when they say that kingdoms will continue next year they're referring only to the joust set. There's a castle among the new monster fighters theme sets so that may satisfy some in the meantime. To release anymore castle would be overkill.
[leaked information removed]? :raiseone:

*edited by staff*
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

tiberium_blue wrote:
I read it as "continue in 2013" rather than directly next year, so I dunno. I think the Joust set will be a good send off all the same though, a la Medieval Market Village.

The [leaked information removed] theme even though only preliminary seems like a total mess. I don't think it could ever be a proper replacement for Castle but i'm pretty sure some of the pieces will be useful.

*edited by staff*
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Gentlemen...and I am referring to the two previous posters in this thread. Classic-Castle has a no leak policy. Please refer back to the TOS where it clearly states:
9. Leaks. Classic-Castle does not allow illegitimate leaks of LEGO Company product information in our forums or chat. For a fuller discussion of legitimate vs illegitimate leaks read the FAQ. For example: Scans of new catalogs and brochures made by LEGO are ok to link to while set images, information, and names stolen from a retailers database or dealers catalog are not ok.
I have edited both posts to remove the leaked information. Please review the above quote and refrain from posting information that is a leak. Please remember if you are in any question about whether or not a topic is allowed or not, to contact the admins before you post it. Thank you.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Dravin Darklore
Villein

Post by Dravin Darklore »

Well I have sat back and enjoyed the postings on here with the wide range of takes on this new and wonderous announcement and figure time to throw in my thoughts about the idea.

Like Bruce and others, I will remain on the fence till I have a set in my hands to build and see whats going on. As a huge LoTR fan, I really love the idea and want to see where it goes and of course how much I can own. For the most part I am willing to bet that the parts will easily fit into my collection of castle stuff which is great because for personal builds, the realm of fantasy and castle type stuff is what I love to do. As far as fleshies go....well they are here and I can do just as much with a fleshie as I can with a classic yellow face so not too worried there.

However I have seen alot of people thinking this is the whole lack of creativity idea and I wanted to share a thought on that as well. In part this is because of personal lack of building skills I say this so try not to throw an axe at me yet. Sometimes to spark creativity you have to introduce something to get the ball rolling. I know there are people who have done LoTR builds before, but its not as widespread as per say Castle. We all take from an idea and expand on it further. Blake has done a most amazing job (and I say that with the utmost respect for his work) at doing what not many have done with making LoTR creations out of Lego. But for me, when I look at his stuff, the first thing that pops in my mind is "dang thats nice, but I cant even come close to contending with that scale or detail work". I need somewhere to start and as good as a builder that I thought i was years ago.......I really do suck at custom creations. Honestly I am more of a modder. So for me to come up with stuff in the realm of LoTR I need a place to start. Many of the FOLs out there are the same way. We need or want something to work off of to make it happen. And where even I have looked at sets and thought "oh a 9 year old can do that, I wish the set was more umphy", I have come to realise in my years of modding and building that those are the sets that start a spark for some people to do something bigger and better. Maybe this will turn out to be a spark that turns into a wildfire of new and more detailed range of creations that we can all enjoy. Of course I am still feeling under the weather from a cold so this could be just me mindlessly babbling. Its hard to really explain my perspective on this and hopefully it came out right.

And Blake.......I do see your point on LoTR being your "precious" and can understand your feeling on it. However I do want to ask you this, why the heck have you not applied to be a set designer for TLG?
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

I am too one of those who doesn`t like to speculate but it sadens me if Lotr sets are going to be the castle theme for the next few years. :cry:
But I will shut up about this now and wait what Lego will officialy come with :eyebrows:
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

mencot wrote:I am too one of those who doesn`t like to speculate but it sadens me if Lotr sets are going to be the castle theme for the next few years

Ditto
But on the positives - more dwarves, elves, cool beards, small legs and hairy feet!
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

Dravin Darklore wrote: And Blake.......I do see your point on LoTR being your "precious" and can understand your feeling on it. However I do want to ask you this, why the heck have you not applied to be a set designer for TLG?
Haha, this brings up another personal debate. Should LEGO be a hobby or a job? But I digress. I am too young anyhow. :)
divonic
Laborer

Post by divonic »

Am I remembering correctly or not? Didn't TLG suspend space as a theme during the years that the prequel Star Wars movies were being released? Once the movies were complete they brought back a Space theme. and even kept on Star Wars. At least that is my recollection.

Maybe they'd do the same with castle.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Yes, there was a time when LEGO did not have an ongoing Space theme on the argument that it would compete with the Star Wars theme (well, there was Life on Mars in there, but everyone seems to ignore that). I don't think they brought back Space because they had reached a certain point in the SW line, but just rather that they decided that the market would have enough demand for both Space and SW. More to the point, though, is 2001 and 2002. This is the gap between KK1 and KK2, when all we had were a couple of (albeit awesome) special sets rather than a general line. What was happening in 2001 and 2002? That's when they brought out the first two waves of Harry Potter, which is at least somewhat crossing with Castle. But then as the HP line continued (with another major offering in 2004, and again in 2011, and smaller offerings in the intervening years), Castle came out strong.

So is that a pattern? Or has the market changed in the last decade? If it is a pattern, it's possible that there will be very little Castle for a couple of years to open up market space for the Tolkien line, but then as the Tolkien theme continues, non-license Castle will come back in force. In the meantime, though, the pattern above is that we'll get some awesome special sets (e.g. Kingdoms Joust).

BTW, I'm not really sure what the objection is (aside from fleshies, but, c'mon, everyone here has access to the secondary market, and most people doing the objecting probably have hundreds of figs in their collection, so the complaint seems to be "I'm happy over here eating ice cream. It makes me mad that other people might eat pie.")

But aside from that, let's take this MOC:
"It's an inn!" say the Castle purists. "We love it!"
"It's my interpretation of the Prancing Pony" says Jon Furman (the builder).
"Arrgh! We hate it now! Down with Tolkien!" yell the Castle purists.

I mean, really? I suspect that a lot of the sets could be relabeled (and, I suppose, have non-fleshy figs swapped in), and all of us would be pretty excited by them.
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Bruce,

I'd not call it pie or any other food product.....

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

Honestly I love all of Tolkien's work, but if it's going to be done in lego, it had better be done right. I don't mind if we dont get redicculously large Minas Tirith and Helms deep sets, but if the figs, creatures, accessories, and models turn out poorly, then there's a problem. I'm not a fan of fleshies in my generic castle world, but having a fleshy fellowship wouldn't bother me one bit. Of course, that makes the figs more difficult to reuse, but the point of lego is to be creative, so I'll think of something.

I have thuroughly enjoyed Kingdoms, but if this is their last hurrah, and castle goes on a 1-2 year hiatus for lotr, then I'm okay with that. Lego has been making some of the best castle sets ever since 2007 imho, and i think that they have learned from the successful sales of these sets that they can appeal to afols without ailienating kids. Because of this, whether castle back in a little while or stays through lotr, i expect that the set quality will pick up right where it left off, and the next castle line will be even better than kingdoms.
Back to the front!