LOTR and the hobbit lego

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
divonic
Laborer

Re: LOTR and the hobbit lego

Post by divonic »

I really liked the fantasy themed sets just prior to kingdoms so I'm thrilled with the LoTR idea. Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, goblins, Uruk-hai I can't wait. I hope they all have regular painted heads rather than molded ones. :orc: The thing that bother's me more than fleshies are molded heads (like the harry potter goblins) My guess is that the LoTR goblins will probablly be molded (because of their long noses and pointy ears) but I'm hoping that the orcs and Uruk-hai are regular minifig heads. Of course I could be wrong and they might do something similar to the collectible elves. Still I can't wait.
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

Speaking of heads... am I the only one who is noticing that there is a severe lack of new yellow heads next year. From what I've seen there is only yellow faces in the NinjaGo and city lines.. and the theme that's not officially released so won't be named...
Correct me if I'm wrong but that creates a lack of new face designs to use while making castle armies. City faces seem to wear sunglasses etc and are basically unusable in castle and the Ninja sets use the same faces over and over... That leaves the theme that replaces Pharaohs quest which at best had 4 new faces.. If you don't count the collectible minifigures that makes Yellow faces a dying breed.

I don't care if this is off topic... the best I can get from the LOTR theme is a few new weapons and maybe some new coloured horses. Please let there be a tan horse lol
Dravin Darklore
Villein

Post by Dravin Darklore »

Bruce N H wrote:
BTW, I'm not really sure what the objection is (aside from fleshies, but, c'mon, everyone here has access to the secondary market, and most people doing the objecting probably have hundreds of figs in their collection, so the complaint seems to be "I'm happy over here eating ice cream. It makes me mad that other people might eat pie.")

But aside from that, let's take this MOC:
"It's an inn!" say the Castle purists. "We love it!"
"It's my interpretation of the Prancing Pony" says Jon Furman (the builder).
"Arrgh! We hate it now! Down with Tolkien!" yell the Castle purists.

I mean, really? I suspect that a lot of the sets could be relabeled (and, I suppose, have non-fleshy figs swapped in), and all of us would be pretty excited by them.
Well spoken Bruce. Much better than my earlier rant thats for sure :lol: I say we just all sit back and wait to see what comes out.....THEN we can pass judgement. Till then, enjoy the Kingdoms Joust set, I know I have enjoyed building it for the display and will probally own 4 of them(cant very well own more of them than I own of the MMV now can I )
BTappel
Freeman

Post by BTappel »

Is LOTR going to replace kingdoms? Are the two themes going to coexist? Are the new mini figures going to hold up to my standards? Will I be able to use LOTR pieces in my other MOCs? Will LOTR only last for a couple waves? Will Kingdoms continue afterwards? Will it be replaced by a new castle theme? Was the joust set the sendoff for kingdoms? Will LOTR sets be too expensive? Will they do the movies justice? Will there be multiple waves a year? Will they include all of my favorite scenes and characters?

Sometimes I catch myself thinking all of these things at once. Then I remember to sit back and take a deep breath...

As was said (and said well) in the last post I just need to wait. All this stressing out is pointless. Looking at what LEGO has done the last few years, both with licensed and non licensed themes, makes me optimistic. Kingdoms has been my favorite LEGO theme ever, and the joust is my favorite set ever. LEGO will make LOTR as it should be made, and I cannot wait until the toy fairs when I can stare at all the pictures for hours and drool as I think about opening those sets...
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Post by Baron Greenbriar »

I always thought this might happen one day. I suppose that PotC and the new movie finally opened the door as far as adding licensed themes. Now the Series 3 minifigure elf will have some company. :wink:
And I'm curious how they will make a Lego ring? That photo looks more like Lord of the Bracelets...
I second this. Will it be a gold stud? Like the snitch in Harry Potter sets? Or will it be some kind of printed detail on the Frodo minifig's hand?
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I agree that any element that a fig could handle would be hilariously oversized (but, then again, so are most minifig accessories). Perhaps the ring will be simply a printed detail on Frodo's torso. I was thinking there was some existing torso like this, but can't find it. Something like the Guardian's amulet from KK2, or Yoda's little flute-thingy:
Image Image
There was also this printed tile, which is a good solution:

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

I think it would bei a printed version of this one:

regards,
jens
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Firstly, wow! Lord of the Rings theme! My second thought (after wetting myself a little) is I will never beleive anything LEGO says again. Thirdly, yes fleshies, had to spoil it didn't you, LEGO. Fourth, Wow! a Lord of the Rings theme! And lastly the issue of the ring. I can't imagine there NOT being a special element for something so central to the plot of the books/ films/ animated series/ breakfast cereal, whether it be oversized or not. I think a printed tile - while infinitely more likely - would be a disapointment. Lord of the Tiles just doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

All in all, I'm looking forward to this new theme.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Hey guys...ring elements do exist...in clickits. Not that any of these would do (they are too big, or misshapen) but they have in the past.

I'm sure if you don't get the ring you'd like, you could take the lower one and paint it gold. Anything is possible.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

DARKspawn wrote:Firstly, wow! Lord of the Rings theme! My second thought (after wetting myself a little) is I will never beleive anything LEGO says again. Thirdly, yes fleshies, had to spoil it didn't you, LEGO. Fourth, Wow! a Lord of the Rings theme! And lastly the issue of the ring. I can't imagine there NOT being a special element for something so central to the plot of the books/ films/ animated series/ breakfast cereal, whether it be oversized or not. I think a printed tile - while infinitely more likely - would be a disapointment. Lord of the Tiles just doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

All in all, I'm looking forward to this new theme.
Haha, the excitement I feel at having you back in our midst is eminent.

One small thing I picked up while doing my series. Th most accurate, realistic ring you can possibly do with LEGO is a thin slice of yellow flex tubing. I used it on 3 separate occasions but it was so small that no one noticed. I fell in love with it immediately, though it is tough for the fig to actually grasp it.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Bluesecrets wrote:Hey guys...ring elements do exist...in clickits.
You know, I had this same thought ... two seconds after I hit the submit button on my post.
Blego7 wrote:Th most accurate, realistic ring you can possibly do with LEGO is a thin slice of yellow flex tubing. I used it on 3 separate occasions but it was so small that no one noticed. I fell in love with it immediately, though it is tough for the fig to actually grasp it.
That is a great idea. Of course, I go into cold sweats as soon as anyone brings a sharp object anywhere near a LEGO element, but if a TLG employee makes the cut with a LEGO branded pair of scissors that makes for an offcial element right?

;)
nikink
Serf

Post by nikink »

I wonder if they'd release a completely transparent fig for when the ring is on? That'd be awesome. :D
Have Fun...
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

nikink wrote:I wonder if they'd release a completely transparent fig for when the ring is on? That'd be awesome. :D
That's one of the best comments, and inspiring thoughts, on this thread. I would love TLC to make a trans-clear fig.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Bruce N H wrote:I was thinking there was some existing torso like this, but can't find it. Something like the Guardian's amulet from KK2, or Yoda's little flute-thingy. . .
Were you maybe thinking of Hermione's Prisoner of Azkaban torso, with the printed Time Turner? 'Cause something like that could work.
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Azaghal wrote:
Bruce N H wrote:I was thinking there was some existing torso like this, but can't find it. Something like the Guardian's amulet from KK2, or Yoda's little flute-thingy. . .
Were you maybe thinking of Hermione's Prisoner of Azkaban torso, with the printed Time Turner? 'Cause something like that could work.

I'm thinking they will make it a tile like Jack Sparrow's compass. A lot of the action in the films is people fighting over it, or trying to steal it away and get it back. If they give any thought at all to how you can actually play with these sets, making the ring a tile to be hidden/taken will be automatic. But if they really just see this line as a way to sell minifigs to adult collectors, then printing it on the torso would be the way to go.