I just got 8777, here's what I ....

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

I just got 8777, here's what I ....

Post by Troy T. Moore »

...think. I was going to put this in castle Lego, but I know some of the folks here would not qualify this line as castle. OK, it's fantasy, the cartoons in the instructions have lightning arcing out of the swords.....

Got it at Superstore in Prince Albert. Yes this is north central Saskatchewan, after all, on the edge of civilization. They have all the sets but "Border Ambush" They also now have the biggest Lego selection in Prince Albert, Walmart is reduced to barely 20ft of shelf :shock: . $12.98 is full price, which I paid to get one copy to check it out.

Why could they not have included a shield for Vladek? Makes no sense..... The catapult would have been better if there had been brown or black pieces instead of white. Yes that gives it contrast, but it is poor for those of us who look at parts we can use for MOCs. The visors may grow on me, but initially I am not overly fond of either, grey would have made the purple one less hideous. Vladeklooks like a cat with his ears folded back when his visor is up and you look at him from the side.....

I will buy more when they are on sale, and part them out to make better equipped soldiers. And ofcourse some for my children, as they were sad that I had only brought one home for myself.

I forgot to mention that on the receipt it said "Bionicle" for the product description.....interesting.
Troy T. Moore
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

I have 2 of them..... :? ...... I like the sheilds...for custumizing.....bronze sword is ok,good for heros...and the purple pieces are useful when: I put pp arms on KK1 soldier torso w/ brown hips/black legs with pp helmet and brown cape. it works for me... I also like the heads.... to me its an ok set... but hardly worth the $9.00 US i paid for it :evil:

Dave
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I do agree with Vladek NEEDING a shield, but for me the overall set is "okay". The catapults parts has its uses, like those corner 1x1 panel pieces... they're good for my modern troops as part of a stinger missile. I actually have a use for the purple knight.... Tyreans (Phoenicians). :twisted:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Of course Vladek needed a shield. I bet for a 2×4 brick (old light grey) that they are doing that on purpose. They know exactly that people would buy multiple copies of this set if a shield for Vladek was included. But they want people to buy the bigger (and more expensive) sets to get those shields.

Bye
Jojo

rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I never realized that this set does not have a shield. I have been unable to get any yet, but I always just assumed that both knights had a shield.

That's rather lame.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I have two of this set. Its a pretty good set considering most of what TLC is offering us at the moment....

The shield thing annoys me, but since I have dismantled and parted out the figs, I don't really feel the sting.

And a good thing about this set...

It comes with a horse. Yes, there is a barding too, but the barding is just an added bonus. Vladek is the only knight to have a horse, and other than King Matthias's white one with the Castle of Morcia, this is the only horse in the whole line.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Hello,

Adding to what Jojo said, I think that is the same reason why TLC gave a printed torso to Rascus in the Citadel set. So If you want every figure you need to buy two set, the Castle and then the Citadel. But if you want vladek's barding you need to by Vladek Encounter. You have to buy so many sets to get so few pieces.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

Dragon Master wrote:Hello,

Adding to what Jojo said, I think that is the same reason why TLC gave a printed torso to Rascus in the Citadel set. So If you want every figure you need to buy two set, the Castle and then the Citadel. But if you want vladek's barding you need to by Vladek Encounter. You have to buy so many sets to get so few pieces.

DM

Or you buy none of them and build in old grey :)

I am working on a 3by3 baseplate castle in old grey at the moment and i think it comes out really nice. I will develope some pics as soon as i finish.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

A shield would be nice to go with the barding, but its not that big of a deal. I could sticker over one of those nasty monkey shields or something.
pwnage
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Emperor James wrote:A shield would be nice to go with the barding, but its not that big of a deal. I could sticker over one of those nasty monkey shields or something.
as much as i like monkeys - i'd have to agree with you there...
:D
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
Emperor James wrote:A shield would be nice to go with the barding, but its not that big of a deal. I could sticker over one of those nasty monkey shields or something.
as much as i like monkeys - i'd have to agree with you there...
:D

I have ta say all of them...I like the shape but the slogans are all pretty weak if you ask me. Sticker them all I say!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Dave
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

I don't mind the Eagle :P
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Every man to his (or her) taste. :wink:

Dave
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

Colours?
No problem...
*runs to the shop to get some paint*
:twisted:

When do these sets come out here in Belguim?
Now I always go shopping with my mom to see if they are there
Visors are neat for orcs, armors need another color...
What is left... Fill walls with them? Sticker them? Make them regular rich people?
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

this set is worth for mainly 3 reasons:

1. The Barding - great as always and even better since it came in a little set.

2. The Black Armor - I'd rather it had no drawing but still it easy come off

3. The red head horse cover - nice, very woody, maybe can be usefull to make from it wooden horse or a trojan horse

the rest of the pieces are pure junk and useless. I'm not a big fan of those new swords, they look like they came out a Transformers or Power Rangers - fit enough for a robot, not very fits for knights. I might find some use though for the red ones. I don't care that Vladak got no shield, they look ugly with those childish drawings anyway.

I believe that a minifig sets would have been much better