Opinions on the new swords

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Re: Opinions on the new swords

Post by mencot »

andhe wrote:How about this new/update of the old/classic sword? (probably needs a better definition...)

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s255/weilpics/1.jpg

Someone over on eurobricks has brought the Kingdoms Chess set and all the 'classic' swords (in the instructions) were replaced with this different mould.

Whether it's change in design is due to where/how it's being moulded, or a sneak peak at future sets (mainly thinking LOTR), place your bets!
I haven´t seen this sword before (ofcourse now in the CMF 9) but my Kingdoms chess comes with the swords that are in the other Kingdoms too, not that new version of the sword, strange. I did buy the chess set immidiately when it came out, so has it change in the later releases to that sword?
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Another case of a replacement piece being lesser than the original. I always liked the fact that the classic sword had the crossguard piece the same size as the handle, so a fig could grip it there, or it could fit into a clamp or hollow peg. Less versatility for no real gain. Dumb decision by the company.
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

I definitely agree. I wish they hadn't changed the design too. They have come out with quite a few really nice new sword molds over the last couple years, but I am afraid that this isn't one of them.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
Velliscig
Artisan

Post by Velliscig »

I would advocate anything from LEGO that replaces the need to buy from custom parts vendors, mainly for reasons of price and potential resale value. However, none of these swords (or most of the new weapons, for that matter) are within a reasonable price range yet for me to afford equipping any substantial number of troops. I suppose I shall begin trickling them in by having only knights, lords, and other higher status individuals purchase them out of their own pockets. :wink:

Overall, the original swords remain the most appealing to me because of their simple design - most specifically the ABS plastic swords, due to their rigidity which prevents scuffing from wear. This quality is in my opinion superior, and I wish to see LEGO return to higher quality plastics. Alas, I doubt this will ever happen!

I think the influence of custom parts vendors in the market has induced LEGO to create more weapon variations, which is in undoubtedly a good thing! :)
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I feel i should comment on 'sting'.

I have to say i'm liking the look as an elfish weapon. IT seems kinda short, but the 'leaf' blade really works for me, when you're thinking ofrest elf. I am using them as secondary weapons for my mirkwood guards. That having been said, i still have a hard time resisting the notion that the elves should carry katanas.

How do you all equip your elves?
Domino Gloria!
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

My small company of CMF elves have either the longbow, or a Prince of Persia dagger of time. So I will of course be asking TLG for commission on the idea seeing that this knife is now being used in the Mirkwood set :P

I would ideally like to give a few dark green hoods and the long-handled elf sword, when they become a bit more widely available.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

My Elvish Legion has been using katana blades since 1999. Generally I prefer the older and more rigid plastic of the older versions, and any that offer a variety of holding positions due to standard "system" construction.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

How do you all equip your elves?
With BrickForge Elven Blades, Elven Spears, Raider Blades, Long bows, Elven Helm, Rogue Biter, etc.... :wink:

Those alternate chess set short swords look a little weird. I like them better than the KK2 Zwords, but I like the newer short swords from the collectible minifigs better.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
The Syndicate
Villein

Post by The Syndicate »

Any new LEGO castle weapons that aren't the mini ones from the Heroica/Blacksmith set(s) are fine with me. Although in all fairness, those mini weapons, combined with all of the green heads (Toy Story soldiers) and mini legs I had laying around inspired me to create a goblin faction. Also, I used the minibow with some Eastern-style mounted archers and it seemed to fit. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I always try to make the best out of whatever weapons LEGO releases.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I like the look of the new short sword but I do agree that the loss of functionality may not be worth it in the long run. My older chess sets have the old version.

As for the elves. I think sting looks pretty good when dual wielding. I also like the new brown/silver spears when put on the elves. I haven't seen that new elf sword in person yet. Gold is not exactly the color I would have chosen for that weapon either.
Knight Man
Journeyman

Post by Knight Man »

Whoah!
I didn't know about that new short-sword, must be the one there going to use in the new Castle sets this fall.
Personally I think it looks terrible and less versatility was a bad move....
EDIT:
I see it's actually the same one as the CMF Heroic Knight. I really wish the Heroic Knight would have come with the Highland Battler sword since I'll probably just end up never using the sword anyways. I'm guessing it was some kind of odd mix up at the Chinese plant between CMF and the Chess set, has there been more than one report of this or just this one instance?
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8406300705_86b2d80f86_m.jpg[/img] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/76575933@N02/]My Flickr[/url] [url=https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-The_Creator]My sets[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Knight

That is a good point re the spear! I had not thought of that.
thanks!
Domino Gloria!
Vladimir
Villein

Post by Vladimir »

I'm a fan of the claymore and to be honest I didn't know about the sword that came with the Heroic Knight. I like them and I may try get a few to equip some soldiers.

Everyone on here is desperate for a little weapon diversity within their ranks and the more swords that become available the richer our armies will become.

Bring on the swords!
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Vladimir wrote: Everyone on here is desperate for a little weapon diversity within their ranks and the more swords that become available the richer our armies will become.

Bring on the swords!
x2! I kinda wished that they had a pointed version of the classic sword (as in same length as the classic rounded tip one). Depending on the type of a knight, region, troop, etc one could have claymore or a shorter pointed sword.... the blunt/rounded tip irked me ever since I was a kid....
Lobberuno
Laborer

Post by Lobberuno »

I really liked the new short sword released with the 2013 Castle sets and the Crown Knight inside the Minifigures S9. The sword is very detailed, also poseable as much as the previous one, but still I consider the old one as a fave too.

And the claymore... I loved it, definitely. I'd like the paladins or high rank knights came with one of these in the good guys side.
- "If you know the Formula, apply it"